Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: JD140 reserection or burial.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Thanks

JD140 reserection or burial.

Good afternoon gentlemen, was looking for options on snow removal since I sold my bobcat, wasn't sure if I should go with a better snow blower or an ATV/UTV with a plow, then I remembered I abandoned my JD 140 years ago, so I dug it out of the pile to take a look. I actually held up better than I expected so I'm considering reviving the old girl. I was wondering if there was a viable alternative for a replacement engine?

I found a CH440-3113 brand new for $499.00, and it looks like I'd have to alter the frame a bit for clearance, but I'm not sure if it will accept the flex joint on the flyweel end, and the electric clutch on the shaft end. Has anyone tried this?

EricJ
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    Levi likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    I found a CH440-3113 brand new for $499.00,
    Can you help us out? What is that?

BTW,
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT!

What's wrong with the engine currently on the tractor? Locked up? Busted rod?

If it's not seized and there's no hole in the side of the block, I'd be inclined to see about getting it running again. You can buy replacement (Chinese made) carbs on Amazon for old Kohlers for under $50. New points and condenser for $20ish. For me, that would be a lot easier than spending $500 on an engine that you'll still have to do some fabricating to make it all work.

Or... how much area do you have to clear? (I'm guessing quite a bit since you previously used a Bobcat) Can you use a walk behind blower?

A few more details would help us help you.
    Levi likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    That's a 14 HP Kohler command pro.

I'm curious what year your 140 is and what's wrong with the old motor. They are an easy rebuild.
    Levi likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    That's a 14 HP Kohler command pro.

I'm curious what year your 140 is and what's wrong with the old motor. They are an easy rebuild.
    I'm not against rebuilding it, but I did a quick parts search and prices were a bit scary. I just pulled it off the chassis and the reason it wouldn't spin was a little critter built a nest in the blower housing, I'm going back out to my shop to see if I can make it run.

My old brain doesn't always function properly so I'm not 100% sure why I retired her in the first place. But I seem to remember a knock. We'll see.

I'll revisit when I have some news.

thanx
    Eric
    Levi likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well that was a bad experience. Thought I'd be a good boy and clean 40 years of crud out of the fins, clean up the block a bit and take a look under the point cap. Points are understandably crap so I took a ride to the only thing that loosely resembles a parts store left in town. It's an "ADVANCE Auto Parts", not sure what's advanced about them, but they had no clue how to find, or even look up points for a kohler, or probably anything else for that matter.

I'll order them online. Guess I'm on hold for this weekend.

Eric
    glc and Levi like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:09 AM
    Thanks
    My advice would be to rebuild it, and run a Transdenser II from Kirk Engines on it. Better starting, once the points are set, you will never have to touch them again. I ran that on the 300 I had for a bit, and it would fire right off MUCH easier than before. I also ran a Bosch blue coil on it too. Seemed to give it a bit more oomph than before, but hard to really tell.
    You can gain a bit of power if you want, or find a K341 16hp to swap in, but really, that 14hp single has plenty of power for anything you can attach to the 140.
    You dont need OEM parts to rebuild it. You should be able to do a complete overhaul for about half what the other engine would cost.
    The good thing about doing that is should you ever decide to part with it, it will be worth more with the original engine, or at least original style (with the K341), and no damage to the frame.
    Levi likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (12-01-2018)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I worked the old girl hard for a lot of years and she was never lacking for power, she could have used a couple hundred extra pounds of ballast though. Had a slab of concrete tight to the back for awhile, it was about 18"x24" and about 6" thick, had to be 200lbs. Had to weight the push blade to keep it on the ground, but it would push almost a full blade of soil.
    I do miss that little tractor. Hopefully I'll resurrect her.

Eric
    Levi and mark02tj like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:33 AM
    Thanks
    John Deere 140s were sort of revolutionary in the L&G world back in 1968, especially the H3 version. If it's a H3, then it's definitely worth the trouble to revive. In my opinion, the John Deere 120 and 140 were some of the best L&G tractors made. I would love to own one myself, but the only 140 that passed through my hands was a H1 and it was engineless when I got it and when I sold it.
    MDrew, Levi and 69project like this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
    John Deere 140s were sort of revolutionary in the L&G world back in 1968, especially the H3 version. If it's a H3, then it's definitely worth the trouble to revive. In my opinion, the John Deere 120 and 140 were some of the best L&G tractors made. I would love to own one myself, but the only 140 that passed through my hands was a H1 and it was engineless when I got it and when I sold it.
    It is an H3 , I actually got it for free, I was doing some work for a friend of my wife on some cottages her family owned and stumbled across it in a shed on the property buried in scrap wood and old paint cans. It had a hydraulic lift plow, a mower deck and a little trailer that had been left out with a rotted out bottom. It cost me a battery which back then was about 30 bux I think and it only went backwards, so I looked it over with no clue, saw what looked like 2 identical valves, pulled them out and swapped them and it went forward, so I bought a valve from JD and it was all set. I think the valve cost me more than the battery. Not a bad deal. :-) . I friend of mine who was prone to collecting old tractor and implement junk gave me a little hydraulic ram and I made the blade power angle. I'd still be using it but I came across a good deal on a little 642 gas bobcat that made little John obsolete.

Eric

PS. you guys mentioned aftermarket parts, is there a decent source you can point me to. Back when I was using it , there were still real auto parts stores with parts guys that knew what a set of points were, and could sell you plastigage and lapping compound and pretty much everything else right off the shelf. Now they don't even know what it is or how to order it.
    Last edited by EricJ; 12-02-2018 at 07:02 AM.
    Levi likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast