Revived 332 diesel! Oil PSI sensor question

Thread: Revived 332 diesel! Oil PSI sensor question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-06-2019 @ 04:31 PM
    Thanks

Revived 332 diesel! Oil PSI sensor question

Hello everyone!,

I purchased a JD 332 with the yanmar diesel back in June and had nothing but issues with it since I got it. Mainly overheating and not wanting to cut with the deck lowered. After changing the fan belt (major job!), cleaned radiator and new cap, and replaced thermostat I was still having issues. After replacing the radiator cap I noticed some leaking on the top of the radiator. I ran out of patience and figured I either need to bring it somewhere and let someone with more time and knowledge to fix it or just give up and get something else which I really didn't want to do so I could avoid going into debt.

I decided it was worth it to fix her and I brought her to the dealer. The dealer replaced the radiator (crying still!) and it was not cheap! $800! - They said to have it rebuilt would cost around $600 due to it needing to be completely redone and there would be no warranty on it due to it being an outside provider doing the rebuild, waterpump, and they replaced the deck belt and some rear diff hoses (it was leaking).

After a month of waiting to get her back she's finally back and not overheating and the deck cuts in the down position now! All the issues appear to be fixed thank the lord!

Now to the oil pressure sensor. It appears to be leaking and it was definitely leaking before the dealer touched it. I tried to see if it was loose but its not loose and honestly I wouldn't be worried but its dripping right on the ground connection so if its an easy fix why not do it.

From the images does it appear that it needs to be replaced? I'm assuming its a wear part and could just be wore out and started to leak? I also attached a picture of the new radiator just since I spent $800 on it and had to show off what a new JD radiator looks like!

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	oshcaf.jpg†
Views:	6†
Size:	800.9 KB†
ID:	660288

Name:	11ukdas.jpg†
Size:	626.5 KB†
ID:	660292

Name:	2dj8hzq.jpg†
Size:	561.3 KB†
ID:	660298
    John Deere 332 Diesel w/50in deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Glad to hear you got your 332 running like it should. Yes the oil pressure senders can begin to leak with age and running overly hot could hasten that quite a bit. It is an easy job to replace it. Below is the parts catalog for your tractor which shows the Deere part numbers and the exploded views. Be sure to check any part number you find in this publication for any changes/updates/substitutions that may have been made in the decades since this was generated...

PC2139 332 diesel LGT.pdf

Chuck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I forgot to ask -- do you have the manuals you need to maintain this tractor? Here are some starters that might help:

Name:	Tm1591_first half reduced.pdf†
Views:	9†
Size:	2.29 MB†
ID:	660306

Tm1591_second half reduced.pdf

CTM3 332 & 430 engine sections - reduced size.pdf

Chuck

...don't know why the first attachment shows as a black page -- but if you click on it, it will open properly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    I forgot to ask -- do you have the manuals you need to maintain this tractor? Here are some starters that might help:

Name:	Tm1591_first half reduced.pdf†
Views:	9†
Size:	2.29 MB†
ID:	660306

Tm1591_second half reduced.pdf

CTM3 332 & 430 engine sections - reduced size.pdf

Chuck

...don't know why the first attachment shows as a black page -- but if you click on it, it will open properly.
    Thank you for your response and for providing these manuals! Glad to know its common and an easy job. I'll try finding the part and replacing it. From cleaning it and running the tractor it looks like its leaking from the green area so I'm sure that's all it is.

Its so nice to have it running and operating properly! I was really on the fence about fixing it but being that the machine only has 1000hrs on it - there's really no reason to not fix it. A new tractor would cost much more and I'm all for fixing an older machine if it makes sense and in this case some may say I'm crazy for spending $2K (Radiator was a big chunk of that) but it definitely has tons of life left from what I can tell.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    $2000 for a 332 in the condition that you have it now is very justifiable and 1000 hours on a Yanmar is a small fraction of the life expectancy for this engine with proper maintenance. Be sure to service the air cleaner and change the fluids per the owner's manual. Sorry -- I don't have that publication to share -- my Yanmar engine tractors were the gas fueled 322 variety.

Chuck

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,306 Posts
    Always like to see a 332 resurrected. That was the first engine I ever tore down and rebuilt all on my own with just the technical manual. Iíll never forget the feeling when I put the engine back in and it fired right up.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    $2000 for a 332 in the condition that you have it now is very justifiable and 1000 hours on a Yanmar is a small fraction of the life expectancy for this engine with proper maintenance. Be sure to service the air cleaner and change the fluids per the owner's manual. Sorry -- I don't have that publication to share -- my Yanmar engine tractors were the gas fueled 322 variety.

Chuck
    I paid $2000 for the machine before the $2000 for all the repairs. So $4000 into it roughly in total isn't so bad. Still a good amount of cash but better than spending double or triple that for a new one! I found where a member gave me the manual for it that has some specs for the diesel version! http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/manuals/TM1591.pdf - Feel free to pass it along!

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements