Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: JD420 upgrades.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Thanks

JD420 upgrades.

Thought I'd start a new thread with a better title for the new to me 420.

Just picked it up this week, it has 258 real hours on it, came with a 47" 2 stage snow blower, a 60" belly mower, a 54" 4-way plow a rear weight bar with 6 weights, and a JD25 dump trailer.

#1) It came with Turf tires all around so as it is fast approaching snow season I bought a pair of Deestone D405 tires, $81.99 - Deestone D405 26/12.00-12 tires | Buy Deestone D405 tires at SimpleTire , and am in the process of trying to find a pair of 12x10.5 rims to mount them on.

#2) Also picked up a small electric broadcast spreader for salting.

#3) I would like to add, LED floods both front and rear, a beacon on a light bar, and a dash attachment for an oil pressure gauge, volt meter, switches for the spreader and the lights and beacon. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to see or hear them.

#4) haven't looked yet, but noticed an empty hole where the rear electric pto clutch switch should be so I'm guessing that was an option I may not have yet. And it is also missing the optional 3 pt hitch. Both of which I'd like to add.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JD420-5.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 11:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya

Now that's some low hours for a 27+ year old unit! Talk about a find. I had a 430 with 2000+ hours on it. Yes, the rear PTO and 3pt were dealer add ons normally.

The rear PTO isn't a standard 540 RPM type, it spins at 2000 I think, I believe the only attachments it powered was the hydraulic tiller and the PTO powered blower on the "lift and dump" MCS system. (Although I did see a 430 at a county fair once that had a hydraulic PTO powered pump on the 3pt hitch but it might have been made by the owner)

If I'm remembering my stuff correctly, the 3pt is the same as the one for the 318/322/332 and 430's. They are all cat 0. The top link maybe slightly longer on the 420/430 series but I'm not too sure on that. Deere at one time made a cute little ballast box for them.

I would get a set of wheel weights for the rear, load the turfs and get a set of chains for the snowblowing instead of swapping out the tires. I have found turfs have more traction on snow than other tires, even without chains.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    It came with a new set of chains, but I was thinking the AG tires would do better. I guess I'll have to do a comparison.

Tomorrows plan is to maybe design some brackets for my 2 post lift to lift this beast, I used to just sling the JD140, but that was a much lighter machine. After that I may pull off the mower deck and work on some lighting and maybe a modified dash board. Looking at the height of that blower I may need to mount lights pretty high, maybe on a light bar overhead. Looking at the weather it looks like I have time before our first snow. As long as mother nature doesn't get *****y.. :-)

Eric

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks
    I have always had turf tires on the 318 and 420, but have always run chains. I also would find the 75# wheel weights I have also put tubes in the front tires, asthe weight of the blower caused problems with the beads braking. I also run max inflation in the front tires (14 psi)(?). I have a cozy cab on the 420, so light mounting was never an issue.

Is the weight bracket the one that hooks over the rockshaft at the top and bolts to the hitch plate at the bottom?
    You could fabricate and mount a light bar for the back. It would require the brackets for the 3 bushel bagger. Two of the brackets bolt between the rear axle and the hitch plate. The other two replace the brackets that hold the rear rockshaft in position at the end of the frame. This would give you 4 solid mounting locations to come up behind the tractor with a hoop to mount your lights. This should also clear your weight rack.

A tip for removal of the mower deck, run the front of the tractor onto a couple of 2x4's under the front wheels. This will increase the under tractor clearance to allow the gear box to clear the frame. I use a small floor jack to pick up each side of the mower to take weight off the clevis pins on the rear draft arms. Run a sling or chain around the right side rear wheel mount and pull the mower deck out from under the tractor.

Dave
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks
    Go to the closets Lowes/Home Depot/Hardware store and get a small 1-2 ton jack, 1.) Using jack to lift front of tractor. 2.) Release front wheel spring tensions by pulling pin clip and remove bracket attachment for spring. 3.) Lift rear of deck, one side at a time and rotate rear wheels to allow deck to wheel out from under tractor. You will have to adjust deck around hydraulic pump/hose and turn the front wheels to allow deck to scoot by.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Manager View Post
    I have always had turf tires on the 318 and 420, but have always run chains. I also would find the 75# wheel weights I have also put tubes in the front tires, asthe weight of the blower caused problems with the beads braking. I also run max inflation in the front tires (14 psi)(?). I have a cozy cab on the 420, so light mounting was never an issue.

Is the weight bracket the one that hooks over the rockshaft at the top and bolts to the hitch plate at the bottom?
    You could fabricate and mount a light bar for the back. It would require the brackets for the 3 bushel bagger. Two of the brackets bolt between the rear axle and the hitch plate. The other two replace the brackets that hold the rear rockshaft in position at the end of the frame. This would give you 4 solid mounting locations to come up behind the tractor with a hoop to mount your lights. This should also clear your weight rack.

A tip for removal of the mower deck, run the front of the tractor onto a couple of 2x4's under the front wheels. This will increase the under tractor clearance to allow the gear box to clear the frame. I use a small floor jack to pick up each side of the mower to take weight off the clevis pins on the rear draft arms. Run a sling or chain around the right side rear wheel mount and pull the mower deck out from under the tractor.

Dave
    Yes the weight bracket is the one you described. I was thinking of mounting the light bar on the weight bar, and mount separate work lights on the front of the hood for when I'm not using the blower.

I'm hoping to be able to put the tractor on my lift, so should be easy to remove the mower deck. Just disconnect and lift the tractor off of it.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodrunsgreen View Post
    Go to the closets Lowes/Home Depot/Hardware store and get a small 1-2 ton jack, 1.) Using jack to lift front of tractor. 2.) Release front wheel spring tensions by pulling pin clip and remove bracket attachment for spring. 3.) Lift rear of deck, one side at a time and rotate rear wheels to allow deck to wheel out from under tractor. You will have to adjust deck around hydraulic pump/hose and turn the front wheels to allow deck to scoot by.
    Don't need to travel, I own EVERY TOOL, :-) , it's an addiction.

Eric

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quick Question, I don't have the service books for anything yet, what is in the gearbox on the mower and the snow blower? grease or 90wt ?

Oh , any suggestions on where to get the manuals, service and owners? Dealer, or is there a better source?

Eric

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Thanks
    If there is a hole in the dash your tractor had a rear pto at some point in time. Part of the install was drilling the hole.

Weight brackets are different based on if you have a 3 point of not.

If you have any hills then you will need close to 550lbs of ballast including the operator. And yes make sure front tires are at max pressure, I’ve had several break the bead on the first storm of any season.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    If there is a hole in the dash your tractor had a rear pto at some point in time. Part of the install was drilling the hole.

Weight brackets are different based on if you have a 3 point of not.

If you have any hills then you will need close to 550lbs of ballast including the operator. And yes make sure front tires are at max pressure, I’ve had several break the bead on the first storm of any season.
    I'm going to be playing with it today when the sun breaks, I'll check out the front tires and make sure they are in good shape, should I buy a better tire for the fronts? Maybe 8 ply's?

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast