Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: John Deere 100 Lawn Tractor

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-26-2019 @ 09:25 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 100 Lawn Tractor

Found this online for $200, I'll be picking it up this Saturday. I hate to see these old mowers in disrepair.. I hope to get it running in a few weeks... Looks like the other side cover is laying on the ground by the windows.. I'll be shocked if it's all there and has the deck cover too..lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 43248164_10217341183345832_6264304019913572352_n.jpg   43333399_10217341171305531_5734444676384030720_n.jpg  
    grnspot110 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Looks like the pedals have been extended back and up -- perhaps for a particularly short operator or maybe for hand controls??

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    Looks like the pedals have been extended back and up -- perhaps for a particularly short operator or maybe for hand controls??
    That was my guess as well. It may have been used by a little person, or amputee. I will have to ask about the previous operator when I pick it up...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Thanks
    Nice score, if you can get it. The 100 lawn tractors were tough, little units. Technically, the last of the round fenders. I don't believe you can get parts anymore for the 8 hp Briggs engine that the 100 came with, but I may be wrong on that. But, they were good engines. A variant of that engine went into the 108 (if memory serves me here), which was the direct replacement for the 100.
    Mike265 likes this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
    Nice score, if you can get it. The 100 lawn tractors were tough, little units. Technically, the last of the round fenders. I don't believe you can get parts anymore for the 8 hp Briggs engine that the 100 came with, but I may be wrong on that. But, they were good engines. A variant of that engine went into the 108 (if memory serves me here), which was the direct replacement for the 100.
    I've been messaging back and forth with the people who own it. We have it set for pickup tomorrow afternoon. It's located about 80 miles from my home. Between the owner, my brother and myself it should go right on the trailer, it's listed as 390+ lbs.... When I had picked up my 265 it took 5 of us to get it on the trailer. That one listed at 750+ lbs.. This one should be a piece of cake..

I've been looking online for parts and there's not much available...BUT.. about 5 miles from my home there is a lawnmower junkyard.. They have all makes and models of lawn tractors.. I've been there several times for parts to repair my and neighbors mowers.. I think i know of two other places as well within 50 miles.

I read a post you made about the JD 100 some time ago..lots of great information.. Michigan guy finds JD 100 joins GTT :-) - Page 2

It should be fun to get it running..
    1988 John Deere 265 with 46" mower deck, Power Flow Bagger, Dethatcher, 1976 John Deere 100 with 34" mower deck,

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well we picked it up Saturday and both side covers were there, , but we could not locate the deck cover.. I'm pretty sure it was there somewhere but could have taken days to find it.. The tractor was located out behind the barn..not sure why it wasn't kept inside.. The guy that was there said it's been out there for at least two years and knew nothing about it. The tires had air and and it rolled easily up into the trailer. I guess I'll never know the story behind the peddle extensions...

I did find a six inch crack in the hood by the mounting bracket.. I also found some water in the carb.. I had took it off and pulled the bowl and it was full of corrosion and there was no bowl gasket. looks like I'l be replacing it.. The oil didn't look bad and I turned the engine by hand and it seemed to have compression. I pulled the spark plug and hooked cables to it and it spun freely.. I was happy to see the starter worked too... The levers for the deck and PTO were kinda stiff, but after a few shots of blaster everything freed up.. The deck is in better shape than I thought with no holes and everything turns.. Underneath looks good as well.. I have not found anything frozen.. even the cone on the PTO looks like it had been replaced and turns easy by hand..

I was surprised how small this tractor is.. It's well built and everything is squeezed into that small space.. I added a picture of the PTO.. it don't look like it was replaced that long ago..

I like it..this is going to be a fun project..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0826.JPG   IMG_0827.JPG  
    grnspot110 likes this.
    1988 John Deere 265 with 46" mower deck, Power Flow Bagger, Dethatcher, 1976 John Deere 100 with 34" mower deck,

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Nice find!! Enjoy the trip back to full functionality...these are indeed really slick little rigs.

Chuck
    Mike265 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I've been doing a little work on the tractor. I ordered a new carb, air filter, points, and picked up a new battery. I also cleaned out the gas tank and put a coat of paint on it...It's in really good shape.. so I figured I would see if this thing had any spark...nope.. the plug is in good shape, I also tried another plug to be sure.. no spark..

Today I decided to find out why it has no spark...I pulled the flywheel..that took about a hour..had to make myself a makeshift puller. I took a few pieces of flat stock, drilled a couple of holes in them and used the screw holes in the flywheel to pop it off....kinda crud but it worked.. I pulled the points cover and there was a little corrosion in there...I turned the engine by hand to see if the points were working and nope..they stayed closed..I pulled the points and condenser and went to pull the plunger and it is frozen.. I attempted to wiggle it with a pair of needle nose and the thing just started crumbling..

Apparently the plunger is made out of some type of bakelite.. With the thing just crumbling there's no way to grab it.. I hit it a few times with blaster and it's not coming out.. soooo.. I guess my only options are.. 1) try and drill it and pull it out in pieces... or...2) pull the motor and pull the crankshaft and tap it out with a punch.. I'm thinking (2) would be my best option..

I have not done much to it because I wanted to see it run first.. I had noticed oil around the base of the motor and was thinking the crankcase gasket may be leaking.. If it was I would have to pull it to replace the gasket anyway.. so I guess that will be the plan..Pull the motor and replace the gasket and fix the points plunger at the same time.. I'll see what else I find once I pull it... I ordered a new plunger and a gasket kit.. I'll pull that thing next week.. This my be the reason it no longer ran..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0870.JPG   plunger.jpg  

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Thanks
    If the crankcase seal was leaking, pulling the motor would be the best option to replace it, but not necessary if you can get to it from the bottom. Either way, you will have to pull the drive pulley and the deck pulley, so at that point, it might be easier to pull the whole motor. Which, would make your option 2 more the way to go.
    Mike265 likes this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I ended up replacing the coil with an electronic one to eliminate the points because I don't want to tear the engine apart. I did a startup today and was surprised it started up first try. It let out a cloud of smoke....then it seemed to get worse. I found it's getting oil in the carb from the breather. I let it sit for about 20 min and started it again with minimum smoke. After a few min the oil starts flowing into the carb and it starts smoking again. I guess I will pull the breather in a day or two and see what I find.. I thought I had oil leaking from the crank case gasket..but it may have been coming from the gasket on the dipstick tube. I changed it and I don't see any new oil leaking.. The oil from the breather may be another source.. I guess I'll clean it and or replace it and see what happens.. I still think the engine is OK...I'm not one to give up easily, so this could take a while...

https://youtu.be/v0JCWteULDE

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast