Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 420 snowblower Question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks

420 snowblower Question

Hey guys I haven't been on here in a while which isn't a bad thing since that means I've been having good luck with the old 318. I have tough snow that comes off the garage and house roofs that the 318 has a hard time picking up. There isn't any down pressure with the snowblower to push down and cut through the packed snow. My question is if I upgraded to a 420 would that tractor apply down pressure to cut through hard pack snow that comes off a roof ? I see a nice one for sale with a 2 stage snowblower, but if the 420 doesn't push down I don't know if I'd be getting a tractor to do what I want. Also are there any common problems with the 420 to look out for ? Thanx for any advice on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Thanks
    None of the snow blowers/throwers should have down pressure, as they are meant to float to conform with the surface you are clearing. However, the two stage blower is quite heavy and may stay down on the base surface (pavement or gravel....) Of course you can push the hydraulic valve handle just shy of the float position and generate a down force, but the attachment will continue down to the limits of the cylinder's travel...most likely lifting your front wheels entirely off the ground.
    BigJim55 and superfan75 like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Thanks
    My 420 with the 47" 2 stage will not give down pressure. It stops at ground level, however I have not plowed with it yet so I can't give you any hands on info.
    superfan75 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks
    Superfan 75,

As Chuckv pointed out, a snowblower will not apply down pressure. For your tough snow, I would just nibble away at it, starting by taking out 6"-9" at a time. You can get the side edge of the blower to cut into the snow pile.

Dave
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you for the responses guys. I was wondering if the bigger tractor would be set up differently or not and possibly have some down pressure. The 2 stage blower does look like its a fair amount heavier from the picture. That 2 stage blower must throw the snow a lot better than my model 49 single stage. Plus with the added power of the 420 on top of that. Is there anything to worry about with these tractors ? I haven't seen it in person, but it looks really nice from the pics they have.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Thanks
    The 47 is heavy I think it weighs in around 400 lbs, and the 1000lb tractor pushes pretty good, big improvement over my 140.
    You will like it.
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 03:58 PM
    Thanks

Roof snow removal

I have the same issue at my house in VT. My x394 with plow couldn't handle that compressed snow. But my 420 with plow had no issue except for traction. The plow and tractor didn't flinch at all as long as it didn't lose traction.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	20171215_151826_resized_1.jpg†
Views:	5†
Size:	2.57 MB†
ID:	662120

Granted this is with plows, not snow blowers, but it should give you an indication of whether the 420 has enough power to deal with that type of snow.

Steve.
    superfan75 likes this.
    1983 John Deere 420 w/50" Deck and Plow
    2017 John Deere X394
    2017 44" Snow Blade
    2017 48" High Lift Deck
    2018 Innovative Grapple
    JD 10P Poly Cart
    Pull Behind Broadcast Spreader
    DR Power Grader
    MCS 7 Dump Hopper
    Power Flow Chute
    Rear Tire Chains
    (4) Suite Case Weights

"I work to live. Not live to work." "Born to fish. Forced to work." 14 months to retirement!

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Superfan, As a temporary "fix" you could put a carriage bolt w/nut & washers in the slot going to the thrower to raise/lower. the purpose of this slot is to, as others have sad, allow the thrower to float. A bolt will prevent this but you could easily go to "float" position with your hyd. control lever...assuming thrower raise/lower is connected to right side outlets. It's a cheap alternative to another blower!!
    Bob
    superfan75 likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan75 View Post
    Thank you for the responses guys. I was wondering if the bigger tractor would be set up differently or not and possibly have some down pressure. The 2 stage blower does look like its a fair amount heavier from the picture. That 2 stage blower must throw the snow a lot better than my model 49 single stage. Plus with the added power of the 420 on top of that. Is there anything to worry about with these tractors ? I haven't seen it in person, but it looks really nice from the pics they have.
    I started out with a 318 with the snow thrower, then moved up to the 2 stage on the 318 and then a 420 with the 2 stage. Each progression was an improvement, although the 2 stage blower put the 318 through its paces. The problem wasn't a lack of power so much as weight on the nose, made it slow. It did put snow out much further.

I now have and have had the 420 with the 2 stage blower since 2000. The 420 is much better matched to the 2 stage blower than the 318 was. My son has it at his house for the second winter, while I use the 955 at home.

Any problem you may have with the 420 you would also see with the 318. With the exception of the two speed transaxle, the drivetrains are similar. The PTO is slightly different in that it is a jackshaft that runs through the front axle pivot to provide power to the mower behind the axle and the blower on the front of the axle.

Dave
    rydplrs and superfan75 like this.
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Manager View Post
    I started out with a 318 with the snow thrower, then moved up to the 2 stage on the 318 and then a 420 with the 2 stage. Each progression was an improvement, although the 2 stage blower put the 318 through its paces. The problem wasn't a lack of power so much as weight on the nose, made it slow. It did put snow out much further.

I now have and have had the 420 with the 2 stage blower since 2000. The 420 is much better matched to the 2 stage blower than the 318 was. My son has it at his house for the second winter, while I use the 955 at home.

Any problem you may have with the 420 you would also see with the 318. With the exception of the two speed transaxle, the drivetrains are similar. The PTO is slightly different in that it is a jackshaft that runs through the front axle pivot to provide power to the mower behind the axle and the blower on the front of the axle.

Dave
    I agree with your assessment if the chest freezer. It needs lots of ballast and itís a beast. It will cut into packed snow infinity better then a 49. Iíll add thatís not a plus when ground isnít frozen.

There is a 47 quick hitch blower. Itís lighter then a chest freezer and also weighs less to reduce digging ability/liability. Itís much lighter and does process snow much better and faster then a chest freezer. I have 20 hp onan 420 and 430 Diesel with chest freezer vs 20hp 425 and 22hp 445 Kawasaki with quick hitch experience.
    superfan75 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast