316 0nan p218 oil seals and hydraulics

Thread: 316 0nan p218 oil seals and hydraulics

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-30-2019 @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks

316 0nan p218 oil seals and hydraulics

I have a question about oil seals and hydraulic system seals. Do additives work and are they safe to use? My p218 had a lot of leaks when I first got it and with great help from Boomer I did a decarbon and replaced all the gaskets but I think the crankshaft seal may be leaking just a little bit behind the flywheel because there is a little bit of oil on the belly pan. And my hydraulic cylinder has a faint amount on the piston rod. I have only run this tractor for 4hours since I purchased it but it's 31 years old. So ya'lls wisdom will be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronbuff View Post
    I have a question about oil seals and hydraulic system seals. Do additives work and are they safe to use? My p218 had a lot of leaks when I first got it and with great help from Boomer I did a decarbon and replaced all the gaskets but I think the crankshaft seal may be leaking just a little bit behind the flywheel because there is a little bit of oil on the belly pan. And my hydraulic cylinder has a faint amount on the piston rod. I have only run this tractor for 4hours since I purchased it but it's 31 years old. So ya'lls wisdom will be appreciated.
    My theory has always been that in order to reduce a leak with an additive you would have to swell the seals, which means you are destroying the seals slowly. Not thinking that would ever be a good idea. Keep in mind, a small oil leak in anything, engine transmission or hydraulic system is not anything to be concerned about. I live on Cape Cod, anything that has a thin coat of oil on it will not rust. I consider a small leak mechanical preservation maintenance.

I just threw away the back half of a 1979 F-150 frame because it was rotted beyond repair, the front half with a thin coat of oil on it, looks like brand new. I spliced on a rear frame off a 2wd.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-30-2019 @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for your thoughts and I'm going to let it be for awhile. I have not run this tractor for a continuous hour or more yet because of everytime I start to use it I find something I don't like and put it back in the shop and fix it. The relief valves were leaking and i replaced one of them and now waiting for the other one to arrive. Hopefully once I can run it for a full day maybe it'll seat things up. Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements