Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Paint

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-25-2019 @ 03:55 PM
    Thanks

Paint

Boys 'n I fixin' our "new" JD 212.

Any off-the-shelf green rattle can paint? Rustoleum? Krylon? Whatever?

Rear fenders, rub marks judt don't sit well with the grandsons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charlie_Linus.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	663106
    Gizmo2, OxPath and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 09:23 AM
    Thanks
    I highly recommend the JD paint, I believe it's made by Valspar. It goes on much better and it covers more too. It's just not worth it to me to save a couple of bucks when I'm putting all that work into fixing something up.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

4. Top | #3
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I second using the JD brand of spray paint! It might be a little more expensive, but the results are well worth it!
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    Since most paint in the rattle cans does not have a hardner or UV in them, you might want to do a clear coat with UV protection which will help with fade.
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 12-21-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    Herminator likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Thanks
    I haven't tried Krylon, but I've used Valspar, Rustoleum, and JD rattle cans. JD is $$ more but covers & looks better, MAJOR problems with Valspar nozzles...maybe just the lot?...dripping, used a LOT of Rustoleum, requires additional coats, but comes out OK.

Clear coat: You MUST wait a MINIMUM of 5 days after top coating to apply a/several clear coat(s). I painted my pedestal on my 317 last spring. Prepped a few low spots with body filler, primed & painted with Rustoleum. Sanded, repainted..,.low spots in paint. Sanded, painted, wet sanded, still a few low spots. Continued until low spots were gone. A final 1500 grit wet sand and clear...INSTANT wrinkle! Sand, paint, sand paint, clear coat...friggin' wrinkles! Soooo, I sand, paint...again, about 3 or 4 times...and waited 6 or 7 days. A LIGHT clear coat and no wrinkles. A heavier clear coat...again after 6 or 7 days...and no wrinkles! I'm not a person with a lot of patience, but unless you want to do it over, and over, and etc, you MUST wait before applying clear!

A "test" that I did was to prime & paint a piece of sheet metal I had hanging around. When I applied my last green to my pedestal, I also painted the "scrap/test." 3 or 4 days later, I laid a piece of cardboard over the test, leaving about 2" exposed, and applied clear...,WRINKLES! A day or 2 later, I moved the cardboard back to expose an additional 2" and applied clear...again it wrinkled, but only in a few places. Another 2 days I pulled the cardboard back 2" and applied clear...NO wrinkles! Maybe 3 days later I "cleared" my pedestal with good results (NO wrinkles!). BTW, I had Rustoleum, Valspar, and JD paint on my "test"...ALL with the same results! It's all about proper drying! Bob
    Last edited by rwmeyer; 12-21-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    MadOx likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    I haven't tried Krylon, but I've used Valspar, Rustoleum, and JD rattle cans. JD is $$ more but covers & looks better, MAJOR problems with Valspar nozzles...maybe just the lot?...dripping, used a LOT of Rustoleum, requires additional coats, but comes out OK.

Clear coat: You MUST wait a MINIMUM of 5 days after top coating to apply a/several clear coat(s). I painted my pedestal on my 317 last spring. Prepped a few low spots with body filler, primed & painted with Rustoleum. Sanded, repainted..,.low spots in paint. Sanded, painted, wet sanded, still a few low spots. Continued until low spots were gone. A final 1500 grit wet sand and clear...INSTANT wrinkle! Sand, paint, sand paint, clear coat...friggin' wrinkles! Soooo, I sand, paint...again, about 3 or 4 times...and waited 6 or 7 days. A LIGHT clear coat and no wrinkles. A heavier clear coat...again after 6 or 7 days...and no wrinkles! I'm not a person with a lot of patience, but unless you want to do it over, and over, and etc, you MUST wait before applying clear!

A "test" that I did was to prime & paint a piece of sheet metal I had hanging around. When I applied my last green to my pedestal, I also painted the "scrap/test." 3 or 4 days later, I laid a piece of cardboard over the test, leaving about 2" exposed, and applied clear...,WRINKLES! A day or 2 later, I moved the cardboard back to expose an additional 2" and applied clear...again it wrinkled, but only in a few places. Another 2 days I pulled the cardboard back 2" and applied clear...NO wrinkles! Maybe 3 days later I "cleared" my pedestal with good results (NO wrinkles!). BTW, I had Rustoleum, Valspar, and JD paint on my "test"...ALL with the same results! It's all about proper drying! Bob
    I'm not sure about this, but rattle can paint is pretty much limited in what you can do as far as clear coats, hardeners etc. I once used Deer's Yellow & when it was dry to the touch I applied a second coat & it wrinkled like crazy. Then I took the time to read the can & it said to wait a full 24-48 hours before recoat, or recoat within something like ten minutes of the first coat to avoid problems.

Personally, I will spend the money on a gallon of JD paint & use my HVLP spray gun when doing a complete tractor. A Gallon might cost you on average about $90. But if your going to rattle can it at 10 cans for $9. each.....? Also with bulk paint I can add hardeners, retarders, reducers, or whatever & create the base coat I want. Just my own experience here.

Valspar rattle cans. I've used them. No problems. JD a little better in terms of can operation & its worth the extra $. However I find JD yellow to be a difficult paint to work with. Don't understand why.
    glc, ctrider and MadOx like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    Pretty much everything has been covered except when it comes to krylon. Just say no, unless you want a blue tractor in a couple years.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    Pretty much everything has been covered except when it comes to krylon. Just say no, unless you want a blue tractor in a couple years.
    So you got a JD that was painted with krylon (JD green) that faded to a nice Ford blue!
    Oscar Leroy likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-26-2019 @ 09:25 PM
    Thanks
    I used the JD paint I got from the dealer, it was about $22 for a qt. I sprayed it with a HVLP gun I got from Harbor Freight for $15.99, it's well worth the money and does a nice job.. 20 fl. oz. HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun . I used rust-oleum metal primer, some in the rattle cans and some from a qt.. just make sure it's dry before spraying the finish.. You can see the results here.. My 265 project..
    glc, ctrider and Tankman like this.
    1988 John Deere 265 with 46" mower deck, Power Flow Bagger, Dethatcher, 1976 John Deere 100 with 34" mower deck,

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike265 View Post
    I used the JD paint I got from the dealer, it was about $22 for a qt. I sprayed it with a HVLP gun I got from Harbor Freight for $15.99, it's well worth the money and does a nice job.. 20 fl. oz. HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun . I used rust-oleum metal primer, some in the rattle cans and some from a qt.. just make sure it's dry before spraying the finish.. You can see the results here.. My 265 project..
    Mike I like the rubber floor mat, is that stock or something you found?
    rydplrs and Mike265 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast