Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zebrafive

Thread: 88 50 inch mower deck

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-16-2019 @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks

88 50 inch mower deck

Hello everyone. I am in the processes of fixing up the 50 in. deck off my 318 and the steel strap that is at the exit is all bent up. I have cut it off and was going to get a new piece of flat stock and weld it on, but do I really need it. What is its purpose.

Thanks
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SK98 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am in the processes of fixing up the 50 in. deck off my 318 and the steel strap that is at the exit is all bent up. I have cut it off and was going to get a new piece of flat stock and weld it on, but do I really need it. What is its purpose.

Thanks
    Steve
    Are you talking about the deflector where it discharges? That is to point the debris towards the ground so a stone wont take out your neighbor.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Are you talking about the deflector where it discharges? That is to point the debris towards the ground so a stone wont take out your neighbor.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not talking about the deflector. There was a 1 3/4 in wide steel strap welded to the deck that extended from the front, where it was welded, back into the discharge area about 10 in. It was under the deflector. If you were to remove the deflector it is right in the exit stream for the clippings. Maybe a safety item to help keep body parts away from blades if deflector is missing?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Thanks
    My guess is to brace the leading edge of the deck, so if that right front edge hits something solid it will not bend back towards the blade.
    Mike265 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SK98 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not talking about the deflector. There was a 1 3/4 in wide steel strap welded to the deck that extended from the front, where it was welded, back into the discharge area about 10 in. It was under the deflector. If you were to remove the deflector it is right in the exit stream for the clippings. Maybe a safety item to help keep body parts away from blades if deflector is missing?
    SK98,

I believe that is what it is. It doesn't extend all of the way across the discharge, leavig about a 2"-3" gap to the rear of the discharge? I believe it is there to keep errant body parts out of the mower deck, or to keep from mower deck from being driven into something from the side, which from the sounds of yours, appears to have done its job. I had a 50" deck, but that was in 2000. The 60" and 72" decks have a similar strap.

Dave
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Manager View Post
    SK98,

I believe that is what it is. It doesn't extend all of the way across the discharge, leavig about a 2"-3" gap to the rear of the discharge? I believe it is there to keep errant body parts out of the mower deck, or to keep from mower deck from being driven into something from the side, which from the sounds of yours, appears to have done its job. I had a 50" deck, but that was in 2000. The 60" and 72" decks have a similar strap.

Dave
    Yes Dave, it doesn't extend all the way back. That is what I thought it was for.

Thanks.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements