318 electrical problem

Thread: 318 electrical problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 01:24 PM
    Thanks

318 electrical problem

1987 318 P218G engine that I ran low on oil. After letting it cool and adding oil my battery light was on and my PTO would not engage. My stator appears to putting out 27.5. I tried replacing the voltage regulator, but, when I attach the center lead there is a spark and the circuit breaker clicks.There is no spark, or clicking with the old regulator. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Thanks
    Check you PTO the coil resistance should be ~ 4.0 ohms anything less than 3.3 is damaged and zero means shorted. Also take the PTO off and inspect the coil it may be cooked by the heat. Then check all the wires around the engine for heat damage (melted or burned insulation) you have a short that is why the circuit breaker is tripping. Check the ignition coil resistance both primary and second (coil may be cooked). Check the condensor, it may be shot also cooked.
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 12-28-2018 at 11:53 AM.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 10:51 AM
    Thanks
    There is also a test for the stator, detailed in the manual.
    If you dont have the manual, I can post the page that details it.

As mentioned, the heat could have damaged wiring, so youll likely want to take the engine tins off and have a good look.
    Its likely that the heat caused damage to the stator and the PTO.
    Also likely, and maybe worse, is that if the heat was great enough to damage those two, you also might have damaged the flyball retainer on the end of the crank for the governor.
    This being loose is what causes the over rev common to the Onan. Its held in place by tension/adhesive.
    It can be replaced, and if you end up needing to do the stator, it would be worth it to do that while you are in there.

I hope you get it sorted out.
    I personally love the Onans sound over the V engines when under load, which is why my 318 will always have an Onan as long as I can keep it going.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 01:24 PM
    Thanks
    I also should have said the tractor starts,and appears to run normally. I used a battery charger and got the PTO to engage. I will check the wires and coil. Thanks

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Also check your PTO gap, it should be .018 all the way around. Sometimes when other things get a little funky and the gap is too far off it won't engage.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements