Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 318 snowblower (49) chute keeps getting clogged

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-02-2019 @ 12:03 AM
    Thanks

318 snowblower (49) chute keeps getting clogged

This is the first time using this since I had it rebuilt it. The blower auger turns well however I'm plowing wet snow (maybe 4 inches or so of snow). The snow comes okay, but at some point especially when going slow it develops a plug of snow out the chute. At that point no snow comes out. I'm using everything standard, no gear modifications etc... No rubber flap.

Any recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Thanks
    I assume you are running full throttle.
    Check your max RPM and be sure it is 3450rpm.
    If its too low (or you arent running full throttle), this will happen. A lot. Especially with heavy snow.

Now, if you still have issues after being sure all that is correct, make sure the chute itself is clean, not rusty or pitted.
    If it is rusty or really rough, some type of epoxy paint will help.
    I used POR15 Hardnose paint on mine, and even 10 years later, it still looks like the day I did it, with the exception of a small chip caused by a fist sized rock I picked up.

Something else I just thought of.
    Obviously single stage and two stage blowers are different animals.
    With the 49 thrower, you need to adjust ground speed to keep it fed, but not force feed it. In light fluffy snow, this isnt too big a deal, but in wet snow, it will cause the thrower to become overwhelmed, causing the governor to kick in to attempt to keep the RPMs up. If it cant, the auger slows, and this causes snow to slow down exiting the chute, which when its wet and heavy, will cause clogging.
    Only way to prevent it is practice. Vary ground speed until it doesnt do it.
    Once you get good at it, you can clog it all you want if you try...because you will understand whats going on when it happens.

I cant say how much practice though, as Ive been doing it since 87 with a 318 and 49, so its about second nature to me now.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 01-13-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Roger47 likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    Would car wax (or ski wax) help? Just asking.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    If its too low (or you arent running full throttle), this will happen. A lot. Especially with heavy snow.

Now, if you still have issues after being sure all that is correct, make sure the chute itself is clean, not rusty or pitted.
    I used POR15 Hardnose paint on mine, and even 10 years later, it still looks like the day I did it, with the exception of a small chip caused by a fist sized rock I picked up.

With the 49 thrower, you need to adjust ground speed to keep it fed, but not force feed it. In light fluffy snow, this isnt too big a deal, but in wet snow, it will cause the thrower to become overwhelmed, causing the governor to kick in to attempt to keep the RPMs up. If it cant, the auger slows, and this causes snow to slow down exiting the chute, which when its wet and heavy, will cause clogging.
    Once you get good at it, you can clog it all you want if you try...because you will understand whats going on when it happens.

I cant say how much practice though, as Ive been doing it since 87 with a 318 and 49, so its about second nature to me now.
    One thing I will say that it's my first time using the blower. Yeah I'm learning you have to move at a fast pace. Would doing the rubber flap or smaller gear mods help. The blower was restored with new paint etc. The inside of the shaft isn't pitted. It has a new coat of paint. I don't have chains so It's kinda hard getting a pace. I made a seperate thread for that.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
    One thing I will say that it's my first time using the blower. Yeah I'm learning you have to move at a fast pace. Would doing the rubber flap or smaller gear mods help. The blower was restored with new paint etc. The inside of the shaft isn't pitted. It has a new coat of paint. I don't have chains so It's kinda hard getting a pace. I made a seperate thread for that.
    The smaller sprocket may help some. Its been a while since that was discussed over on WFM (long before this site existed), so I cant recall if anyone did that for the issue you are having or not.
    If you do go that route, dont go too small. 40 tooth is stock, I run a 36 tooth. A buddy of mine used to run a 32 tooth, and while it worked, he never used it anywhere but his drive, and knew he wouldnt pick up anything he didnt want to. Spinning that much faster and hitting something can be bad on the gearbox.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    I used to rub parafin wax on the chute of both the 47 blower and 49 thrower and while it minimized plugging, you had to watch it. This year, I applied a liberal dose of silicone spray before the season started and have not had problems. One of the things I learned was to wait until the storm ended and the snow dried out. Then I was throwing dry snow. Big difference between wet heavy snow and dry snow.

I did not make any modifications to the gearing, although i lengthened the chute. That did make a difference on throwing distance.

Dave
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post

What's the easiest way to check engine RPM?

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    Spraying the chute with a cooking spray will help some. It really is more about touch of feel to keep it from clogging with wet stuff.
    rydplrs likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Thanks
    Steppin, Harbor Freight and Northern Tool sell tachs for around $30. Clean pto pulley, attach a piece of magnetic tape (supplied with tach) on the pulley, start engine & warm up. Go full throttle, point tach at tape, push button on tach and read rpm! Not too pricey and does the job easily and quickly. Bob
    BigJim55 likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    Spraying the chute with a cooking spray will help some. It really is more about touch of feel to keep it from clogging with wet stuff.
    Thatís very true, especially with single stage blowers. With enough snow being they generally donít clog. Then when you do stop itís best to let them fully clear themselves before feeding more.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast