318 Power Steering Extreme Steering Play

Thread: 318 Power Steering Extreme Steering Play

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks

Any thought on a "Steering Slop" of almost 90*, after checking Kingpins, Tie Rods etc? I suspect the Steering Control Unit. Don't know. Anyone been inside one? Is it a Repair or Rebuilt? Whole units got to be Pricey!! Thanks in Advance ~Scotty

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks
    I don’t think a rebuild of the column is that difficult if you score the plates to keep order and orientation correct. I think kits are affordable, or I have a used 5 port I’d sell. It’s been out a year so the price would reflect the risk.

The most common cause is slop in the eyes of the steering cylinder, I’ve also seen the frame crack around the rear mount.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'll take another look at the Cylinder, and Mount. Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    There are several places that slop occurs in the steering, but rarely is it in the hydraulic side, unless your cylinder is leaking and bad or the steering valve itself is bad. Before you go into the hydraulic side, make sure you check both tie rod ends for tightness. There should obviously be no play there.
    Then check the axle pivot. These wear fairly regularly, as they have no grease fitting.
    Then check the axle adjustment bolts on each side. Most people overlook these. They are the main cause for slop that cant be found otherwise.
    Deere makes a wear plate kit for these areas too, if yours is worn.
    As mentioned, check the cylinder rod end too. Many times the grease fitting on these is neglected.
    Sometimes, the splined adapter from the cylinder to the axle can come slightly loose and cause this too.
    Most of this should be easy to see while you are on the tractor.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

Scotty370 (02-02-2019)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Thanks
    Like Jim said above, Adjusting the axle stop bolts will reduce play in the steering. You can observe the axle when making small steering inputs to see of the axle moves forward/backward relative to the frame before any actual kingpin rotation begins. Many tractors with even moderate hours need an adjustment in this area (which is why the ability to adjust it exists...) If the tractor is operated in sandy soil and this area is over-lubricated with grease, then the abrasive action of the attracted dirt will cause accelerated wear of the bolt head and the mating wear plate. Early tractors do not have this wear plate, but you can certainly add it.

One additional caution: look for more wear at the 'level' axle position than at the extreme travel position as would be encountered on very uneven ground. Adjusting the axle stop bolts at the level position may cause the axle to "stick" in the deflected position or limit deflection such that the frame flexes instead. On a 322 I had, this frame deflection caused the fan to lighty contact the shroud such that there was a squealing sound on uneven ground -- quite a mystery until the axle stop channel tapered wear was found...

Here is the illustration from the manual on adjusting the axle stop bolts, and a snippet from the parts catalog on the part numbers for the wear plate and axle stop bolt and lock nut:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adjusting axle stops.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	670120

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axle stop wear plate part numbers.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	670122

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 02-02-2019 at 11:24 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckv For This Useful Post:

Scotty370 (02-02-2019)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks

Update!

First, I can't thank you Guys enough for your sage guidance! I have not fixed it yet, but learned a lot! I fired it up the other day to move it. My Sons was being conservative in his estimation of 90* slop, A 180* would have been closer!! I started to look more closely. When I turn the wheel, the ram extension reacts immediately, in both directions!! That indicates to me that the Hydro part or the equation is out of the picture. I watched the Ram extend until the Left Front Started to turn. "Play" everywhere!! Tie Rod ends, but mostly from the Front axle shifting as a result of, what appears to be a 1/4" gap at the adjusting bolts that was posted! I saw no 'wear-plate' that was mentioned. This is a late model 318, North of the Serial Number Break! So, at least it's mechanical Parts 'n Pieces, and not a Hydro problem! Thanks again to all! ~Scotty~

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    First, I can't thank you Guys enough for your sage guidance! I have not fixed it yet, but learned a lot! I fired it up the other day to move it. My Sons was being conservative in his estimation of 90* slop, A 180* would have been closer!! I started to look more closely. When I turn the wheel, the ram extension reacts immediately, in both directions!! That indicates to me that the Hydro part or the equation is out of the picture. I watched the Ram extend until the Left Front Started to turn. "Play" everywhere!! Tie Rod ends, but mostly from the Front axle shifting as a result of, what appears to be a 1/4" gap at the adjusting bolts that was posted! I saw no 'wear-plate' that was mentioned. This is a late model 318, North of the Serial Number Break! So, at least it's mechanical Parts 'n Pieces, and not a Hydro problem! Thanks again to all! ~Scotty~
    The wear plates are a repair item, not an as delivered part, but no drilling is required. It seems to take 1-2000 hours to wear out the surfaces but I have suspicions that Deere was aware it could happen over life.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

Scotty370 (02-09-2019)

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

Just a note for others:

Just a note for others. The Kit AM101198 is No Longer Available. But, The Parts are, probably just a bit more costly, 'piecemeal' !

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    Just a note for others. The Kit AM101198 is No Longer Available. But, The Parts are, probably just a bit more costly, 'piecemeal' !

M88755 is the replacement for AM101198

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbit View Post
    M88755 is the replacement for AM101198
    That's what I bought! Thanks Again!
    Last edited by Scotty370; 02-23-2019 at 12:19 PM.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements