JD 420 front tool mount bracket ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: JD 420 front tool mount bracket ?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Location
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    JD 420 front tool mount bracket ?

    Does anyone make a simple front mount bracket for the 420? Something I can use to build an attachment onto.

    Eric

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:47 PM
    Location
    Collinsville, OK
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
    Not on a 420 but a 316 which is similar. I used the 322 Weight bracket drawing to make a bracket for my suitcase weights. Also used that same bracket to make a front tote/bruch guard for my '74 112.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4446.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	674732
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4442.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	674734
    Gizmo2 and HVACguy like this.
    VietNam Vet, 68-69
    68 Mower
    '74 112 Tractor
    '86 316 Tractor (361703)
    '89 265 Tractor (597403)
    F725 Front Mow (032048)

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Location
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
    Not on a 420 but a 316 which is similar. I used the 322 Weight bracket drawing to make a bracket for my suitcase weights. Also used that same bracket to make a front tote/bruch guard for my '74 112.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4446.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	674732
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4442.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	674734
    where did you get the spring loaded pins? or did you make them? Never mind, I found them on Amazon for 10 bux a pop.

    Eric
    Last edited by EricJ; 03-04-2019 at 04:25 AM.
    Gizmo2 and KennyP like this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:47 PM
    Location
    Collinsville, OK
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    where did you get the spring loaded pins? or did you make them? Never mind, I found them on Amazon for 10 bux a pop.

    Eric
    I made the smaller ones for the tote.
    VietNam Vet, 68-69
    68 Mower
    '74 112 Tractor
    '86 316 Tractor (361703)
    '89 265 Tractor (597403)
    F725 Front Mow (032048)

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Location
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanx, I've been thinking I would throw together a front hydraulic boom with electric winch. Should be easier than rolling around the cherry picker.

    Eric
    KennyP likes this.

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    7,849
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 744 Times in 631 Posts
    I’d go easy on the reach. The balance of a 420 isn’t great. On my 420 with a loader with around 700 lbs ballast I can only pick up about 500 lbs before the rear tires come up. Small changes in how far that load is forward make huge changes in the ballast requirements.
    KennyP likes this.

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Location
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    I’d go easy on the reach. The balance of a 420 isn’t great. On my 420 with a loader with around 700 lbs ballast I can only pick up about 500 lbs before the rear tires come up. Small changes in how far that load is forward make huge changes in the ballast requirements.
    Agreed, I've run a lot of hoisting equipment over the years. My plan was to make a pair of hydraulic stabilizer legs for lifting, then just pull the load close to travel. I'll just have to keep my eye on the front suspension, I would think that will be the weak point. I'll keep my eyes open for wheel weights as well, I do have a weight bar with 6-46's on it.

    Eric

  10. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:47 PM
    Location
    Collinsville, OK
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Thanx, I've been thinking I would throw together a front hydraulic boom with electric winch. Should be easier than rolling around the cherry picker.

    Eric
    I made up a PDF of the mount for the Tote on the 112. I'll attach it here to see what changes I made for the side brackets. Have fun.
    JD Weight-Tote Bracket.pdf
    VietNam Vet, 68-69
    68 Mower
    '74 112 Tractor
    '86 316 Tractor (361703)
    '89 265 Tractor (597403)
    F725 Front Mow (032048)

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:41 AM
    Location
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
    I made up a PDF of the mount for the Tote on the 112. I'll attach it here to see what changes I made for the side brackets. Have fun.
    JD Weight-Tote Bracket.pdf
    Thanx, nice job on the plans too. I was thinking about what you said about balance and when I was designing my tilt trailer I checked the balance point of the 420 with the 47"blower on it and the weight bar with about 300lbs and it was just behind the front wheels. Maybe I should reconsider, swap the weights to the front and build the boom for the rear.
    KennyP likes this.

  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:47 PM
    Location
    Collinsville, OK
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Thanx, nice job on the plans too. I was thinking about what you said about balance and when I was designing my tilt trailer I checked the balance point of the 420 with the 47"blower on it and the weight bar with about 300lbs and it was just behind the front wheels. Maybe I should reconsider, swap the weights to the front and build the boom for the rear.
    I have a 3-point boom I built. Works well with my tractors. It's not in JD colors though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3679.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	675080 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3680.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	675082

    I put the 3 holes for the top link to attach to allow for better angles when lifting things.
    VietNam Vet, 68-69
    68 Mower
    '74 112 Tractor
    '86 316 Tractor (361703)
    '89 265 Tractor (597403)
    F725 Front Mow (032048)

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New to Me JD 420 and Parts 420
    By Aznuc1 in forum Vintage Lawn & Garden Tractors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2019, 11:42 AM
  2. New Tool Box and New Tool Organizers
    By SulleyBear in forum Tools & Equipment
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 11-10-2018, 03:32 AM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-05-2018, 03:28 PM
  4. JD 855 front mount snowblower bracket problem
    By pjq in forum Medium Frame Compact Utility Tractors (MCUT)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 09:54 PM
  5. JD 855 front mount snowblower bracket problem
    By pjq in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2016, 05:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •