I just brought home a 1981 John Deere 400 today. The previous owner worked at Kohler and restored the entire tractor about 5 years ago. A couple years ago he said he put a brand new Kohler K532 Engine. Not a rebuilt one, but a brand new engine. It has 4 hours on it. He said a new K532 is extremely hard to get. Anyway, I have a couple questions. The tractor also came with a tiller. I gave it a good cleaning and itís looking good.
1. I ordered a new belt for the deck. It was $80 off amazon and a JD OEM part. Are there other places or brands that have the same quality, but cheaper?
2. I would like to replace the spindle bearings on the 60Ē deck and was wondering what part number, size and brand I should get?
3. Where is the best site to get a complete manual for the tractor?
3. I also ordered Hydrostatic fluid, filter, oil and oil filter and plan of changing all the fluids this week. Should I drain and refill the hydraulic fluid or just leave it?
4. I noticed that when the tiller was on the drive shaft of the PTO slipped off where it connects to the engine. How do I prevent that from happening?
Any other tips or things I should do? I appreciate your time and help. Iím really looking for to working with this tractor.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk