• 1 Post By rwmeyer
  • 1 Post By MDrew

Thread: 110 Corrosion from gas tank in carb

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 08:19 AM
    Thanks

110 Corrosion from gas tank in carb

My 1973 110 has a recurring problem with the rust from the gas tank getting thru the filter into the bowl and mucking things up. Already did the fish tank gravel shake and bake thing inside the tank, with a neutralizer after rinse, and rinse and rinse and problem has never gone away. If you are familiar with the tank you know you can not use a sealant as it will block off the hose connection on the bottom. Someone has had to deal with and fix this problem. Just about to modify a half gallon milk container and put it in there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wekjo View Post
    My 1973 110 has a recurring problem with the rust from the gas tank getting thru the filter into the bowl and mucking things up. Already did the fish tank gravel shake and bake thing inside the tank, with a neutralizer after rinse, and rinse and rinse and problem has never gone away. If you are familiar with the tank you know you can not use a sealant as it will block off the hose connection on the bottom. Someone has had to deal with and fix this problem. Just about to modify a half gallon milk container and put it in there.
    You can use sealant. I have on multiple tanks.
    rtgt likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Red Coat is very controllable. If you are worried just stay away from the valve area when turning to coat it.
    Keith says you can do it. Then I wouldn't be worried at all. He knows what he's talking about.

Make sure you drain it through the fill hole.
    rtgt likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    I had a welder with an 18 hp Kohler and about a 4 gallon fuel tank. The bottom of the fuel tank was rusted and more like a sieve...maybe 30-50 pin holes!...and the tank would drain in about 5 days!

I used POR-15. Put a small pail...2-1/2 gal???... of stone in it and shook for 15 minutes. Dumped, fresh/clean stone, and shook again. No visible rust particles in/on stone after the 3rd or 4th refill. Washed with solvent...I think I used lacquer thinner... and set in sun to "dry". Installed pipe plug in fuel outlet, mixed up POR-15 per directions, and poured into tank. Turned tank 1/4 turn, let sit for 3-5 minutes, turn 1/4 turn, sit for 3-5 minutes, turn, sit, turn, sit until all...SIX... inside surfaces were exposed to the POR-15. Every 15 minutes or so loosen pipe plug and then re-tighten...just snug. About 3 days later,
    I installed tank and filled with fuel...NO leaks! I used the welder for another 5-10 years and then sold it...fuel tank still had no leaks.

I recommend POR-15 to seal your fuel tank. Bob
    rtgt likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    This is what I use, most parts houses sell it cheaper than their web site. I usually pay $20 for a quart. It takes maybe a pint to do a 15 gallon tank. You can reuse the extra that runs out of the tank. The pints cost about the same as a quart.
    Damon Industries Red-Kote Gas Tank Liner
    rtgt likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

rwmeyer (05-31-2019)

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements