Green Tractor Talk banner

317 with series 1

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Lance Skene 
#1 ·
Got this 317 on trade a couple years ago and just finally getting around to it... has the infamous series one Kohler but I had it out for a test drive and it seems to run and drive well enough, typical electrical issues and alot cosmetic issues, some of the engine tins are in rough shape so Im gonna start with repairing those so that it has good airflo...

one question... should there be a heat shield in between the muffler and pto pulley

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Short answer is yes. I don't seem to have any pics saved showing it, but would take some if you need an idea for making one. A good used one would be easier.
It is held on by the two engine cradle mounting bolts. I've welded mine twice for stress cracks at the base or mounting area. I believe it is there to direct some of the muffler heat away from the belt and the PTO coil.

tommyhawk

#3 ·
Thx... I fig'd there should be something there... I worked metal fab 25+ years so fabricating one will be the easy route for me... Im guessing it just went up around the pto but didnt really block the engines air flow... maybe gets in the way when your changing the belt and somebody decided not to put it back on.

#4 ·
Deere used a heat shield, Ariens did not with a very similar setup on the gt17 and gt19. Ariens didn’t seem to have heat related issues, so I’d consider the shield a nice to have, not a must have.

#5 ·
Since Im now semi-retired I enjoy little metal working projects so I'll build one... and some of the engine tins need work anyway so it can all be done together. A pic would be appreciated if someone has one handy but its not neccesary... Ive seen enough shrouds on other tractors to have an idea how it should go... I have a bad habit of dragging home dead tractors and attempting to bring them back to life, selling them and then go looking for more. Theres a 314 here I need to look at someday also.

#7 ·
Looking like the exhaust is one of the bigger issues on this thing, end of the muffler is rusted out and one manifold bolt is broken off, excess heat has damaged the left side engine tins and someone has attemted a repair in the past, the heat also damaged the paint on the outer side cover so it needs to be cleaned up and repainted. Im sure I'll find more issues once I get going but so far it looks to be a worth while project and if neccesary I also have a 314 that may come in handy for some parts, Ive never tried to start it but it has a rear pto and tiller, I havent looked yet to see if those will even work on the 317.

If nothing else this will be an interesting project for me, even tho I have fix'd/flipped 150+ lawn and garden tractors in the past this is my first 300 series JD. I keep a SF 110 around for the wife to pull her garden cart(just cause her Pop was a JD mechanic), Ive had several of the smaller box store type JDs, and a 140 H1, a 214, and an F525... thats about the extent of my JD experience.

#8 ·
Lance, I've got a 314 & a 317...plus a 322. The 314 & 317 are "closed frame" tractors, like your 140. Closed frame means there's a plate across the back of the frame. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the rear pulley on the 314 will fit the 317. The only problem could (??) be the number of splines on the transmission output shaft.

That said, I've got a 33 tiller on my 314. I used it in Connecticut...where I had real dirt...and it worked fine. I'm now in Tennessee with rock hard clay. It still works, but it feels like its beating the daylights out of the tractor! I've never ran out of power, but the tractor lurches & jumps around from the hard clay. After 2 or 3 passes, it settles down and tills like it should. I'd leave the tiller on the 314, it's got enough power to get the job done and the 317 is a little more versatile with the H2.

All in all, they're both great tractors. Bob

#9 ·
Im not real sure what Im gonna do with the 314 yet but if it has anything I need for the 317 then it will become a parts tractor... if not then it may end up being another project in the future... only reason I chose to start with the 317 is that I saw it run when the PO traded it in.. the 314 was a freebie that the guy just wanted out of the yard during spring cleanup last year... so Im good regardless of how things go but ideally it would suit me fine if I endup with one nice JD to sell and a spare k321 for some other project down the road. I dont like using hydro tractors for myself so I wouldnt keep either of them... I got too many tractors already and I hardly ever use the 110 I have, got two tillers for it but Ive never put one on... that would interfere with the wife and her cart. Lol

#13 ·
Ya sure Pls if its not too much trouble... think I have a pretty good idea what it would look like but a pic might show me where they need to be beefed up a little. Im not too concerned about making one exactly as original but I'd like to make something similar using a heavier gauge.

#15 ·
Awesome pics bud Thx... pretty much what I expected... and easy to see why/how it would eventually fail. I can easily reproduce it in our shop....or.... I could also curve the top over the pto.... and use stainless... and even add a small stabilizer bracket to the top back to the motor, there is already a bolt there.... hmmm... we will see... I do have some metal repair on the engine tins I should worry about first.

#16 ·
Been checkin over the deck for this 317, center spindle is a bit tight but everything else seems to move freely, its missing the lift hangers but I found a few in my own junk/parts dept that I expect are similar to the original ones.... or at least can be modified to work.

Anyone happen to know how long the pto belt is??? if not I can usually get a close estimate with a piece of 1/4" rope

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Had to go to CERVUS for some LX277 parts today... customer machine... so I priced out some 317 parts while I was there... new deck bearings and a muffler... $78cad for 6 bearings so I ordered those... bit of sticker shock on the muffler tho... $250... think I can should try to get creative with the welder first and see how that goes.. Lol ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.