Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 316 Onan P218G Ignition Issues

1. Top | #11

Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    Bloodrunsgreen,

So I did find fuel under the float. I did remove and clean the idle jet. Is their anything in particular to look at with the idle jet?

Thanks!

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Thanks
    If I recall correctly (IIRC), there are holes 3 or 4 (2 sets 180 degrees apart) that are across the tube and 1 in the bottom, they must be clean thoroughly (soak in carb cleaner over night). Also did you see the 3 tiny holes in the inner throat of the carb located across from the welch plug (just above idle set screw)? those need to be cleaned also.

After doing that, double check for spark (electronic ignition module, that fires the coil, make sure condensor is connected to the + side of coil and well grounded). Then it is down to having compression, so a compression check, finally a leak down test to check the valves.
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 06-16-2019 at 01:25 PM.

4. Top | #13

Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 AM
    Thanks
    Blood; Condenser to + side of coil ????

Mount; Hold off connecting condenser until someone verifies...condenser to + or - side of coil. Bob
    Last edited by rwmeyer; 06-16-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    For the P-series engine, the condenser goes to the plus side of coil (for a B-series it goes to the minus side...) Here is the wiring diagram with the P-series info and the B-series in the drawing insert...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ignition diagram 318.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	691430

Chuck

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckv For This Useful Post:

rwmeyer (06-17-2019), XSKIER (06-16-2019)

8. Top | #15

Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    So an update to this project.... I had a good friend of mine who is a mechanic look over things with me. We tried several things. I should have probably soaked the carb in parts cleaner before I threw in the towel but I'm pretty certain I have a couple of issues here. I ended up testing the fuel line going from the gas tank to the fuel pump. I hooked up a spare piece of fuel line from the pump directly into a can full of fresh fuel. The carburetor appeared to be getting fuel. I got a couple good back fires finally. The charge on the battery appeared to be weak noted by the lack cranking power from the starter. I left the battery overnight on a trickle charger and in the morning when I tested things my starter would not even crank. I would get a clicking sound only. I finally had enough and just called the local small engine guy to come pick it up. It's now sitting in his shop waiting for an estimate.

I'll post what we finally figure out. I"m not giving up on the old girl. It's a great lawn mower and I sure don't want to buy a new expensive piece of plastic to mow with.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions! I know just enough to be dangerous and without an engine jack or pulley and the time to do things right, I'm better off sending her to someone who can do it the right way.

Cheers ,

Joe

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2