'77 300 Spring Pin (roll pin) on Hydro Input Shaft Shearing

Thread: '77 300 Spring Pin (roll pin) on Hydro Input Shaft Shearing

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-15-2019 @ 04:09 PM
    Thanks

'77 300 Spring Pin (roll pin) on Hydro Input Shaft Shearing

I have run into something that I suspect might be common based on the way the hydro input shaft is made on the '77 300's.

In less that 50 hours of operation I have sheared 2 spring pins (1/4" x 1 1/2" acquired from Fastenal) that secure the drive shaft yoke to the input shaft on the hydro. On this vintage the shaft is just a plain round non-keyed shaft that takes the spring pin to make the connection. There would be a fair load on that pin and even with the fiber disks that act as the u-joint I suspect that there is some amount of additional torque and strain placed on that pin. It takes all the forces of turning the input shaft without aid of a key way or splines.

Has anyone else found this to be common on this vintage setup, or do I have something else going on here that I need to be looking at. It is not a tough thing to fix when it happens, but removing the fender pan each time is getting old. If this is going to be a common thing I might mod that fender pan and create an access hatch over that section.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    UT, I don't know this as a fact, but I've read that JD uses a harder roll pin than is normally available. There's no harness or material spec on the JD parts spec, nor on any commercially purchased roll pins! I'd go with a roll pin from JD and see how long it lasts. Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rwmeyer For This Useful Post:

UTgws (06-15-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-15-2019 @ 04:09 PM
    Thanks
    I have ordered some Deere official roll pins and will see if that is a possibility. I guess time will tell.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Thanks
    It appears that some s/n machines used a spring pin, while others used a true roll pin (spiral) type. You could try JD # M81896 which would be stronger than a standard spring (single wall) pin. Fastenal probably has them too. If the holes in the hub or shaft are wallered out, that makes them shear much easier. I think you can still use the safety wire through the pin, but may need a smaller diameter wire.

tommyhawk

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements