1986 212 PTO Pulley Bolt Size?

Thread: 1986 212 PTO Pulley Bolt Size?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks

1986 212 PTO Pulley Bolt Size?

Attached is a picture of the PTO on my 1986 212. The Red Arrow is pointing at the spot I think a bolt fell out of. When reattaching my drive belt to the deck I noticed my tensioner pulley (piece in front of arrow with grease zert) is really loose and wobbly. Where the arrow is pointing there is a threaded hole in the engine block and the arm for the tensioner pulley has a hole that lines up with the threaded hole when centered.

My thought is that there is a bolt that fits there which I must have had fall out. Does anyone know if a bolt goes there and if so, what size and type of bolt is it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTO assembly side view b olt.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	692238

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    The tensioner need to rotate freely. The spring below the pivot keeps it in check when a belt is installed.

You tensioner pivot might be worn, but they all have some play.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Thanks
    I spent some time looking on JDParts, and still not sure of the bolt length. I would try a 3/8 x 16 bolt, 3/4" long. If the plate it goes through is 1/4-3/8" thick, that should be the right one. If, when the bolt threads first start to engage with the threads in the block the head is sticking out 3/8" or so, then this should be right. A 1.00" length would likely work also, but be sure it does not bottom out before tightening fully.

Ref. JD # 19H1936 for 3/4 length. JD # 19H1731 is 1.00" length. I would use a grade 5 bolt.

tommyhawk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks folks! I will try the 3/8 x 16 and see what happens. It does look like a mounting plate for the tensioner since it does fit over a "stud" on the bottom left of my picture. So I think the bolt holds the plate steady so the tensioner can do its thing.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements