Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: New JD 400 owner

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks

New JD 400 owner

Bought two 400s a few days ago, both running, one mostly restored with 20 loader and 3 pt hitch installed, the other with no implements and in need of restoration. I may just keep the second one as a parts tractor. It's nice to have all the running gear and controls in reserve for a 44 year old machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190622_150334_1562111236724.jpg   20190628_133509_1562111319629.jpg  
    glc, theduke, Herminator and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks

Thats a sweet looking machine .... gotta ask ........how much?

What p[art of the country are you in? NE
    Herminator likes this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    Very nice. They are beast. 30 years from now you’ll still have the spare parts one because they are pretty dang reliable. Make sure to remove the covers on the side of the motor every so often to make sure the fins are not packing up with grass.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Paid 3500 for both. Added a ballast weight box I had and this thing can really move gravel. Grades well too with bucket on float.
    theduke and Herminator like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm in Maine.
    Herminator likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to another Mainer.

I find having a 420 with loader to be priceless for around the yard, and as backup for snow removal.
    Herminator likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I find that i will have to move the seat on my 400 as far back as possible because of my size, I'm 6'4" and am too close to the steering wheel. The seat will be very close to the gas fill after I move it. In order to fuel the tractor, I bought a small fuel pump with hose and nozzle that is powered by AA batteries.

I also have to adjust the hydrostatic drive linkage because it has a slight rearward creep when in the neutral notch. I have the service manual and the adjustment looks pretty simple assuming no excessive wear or parts damage. With the loader frame, I will have to raise the front end to give me enough clearance to get under the frame. Anyone had any experience or problems with this adjustment?
    Herminator likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CBsJD View Post
    I find that i will have to move the seat on my 400 as far back as possible because of my size, I'm 6'4" and am too close to the steering wheel. The seat will be very close to the gas fill after I move it. In order to fuel the tractor, I bought a small fuel pump with hose and nozzle that is powered by AA batteries.

I also have to adjust the hydrostatic drive linkage because it has a slight rearward creep when in the neutral notch. I have the service manual and the adjustment looks pretty simple assuming no excessive wear or parts damage. With the loader frame, I will have to raise the front end to give me enough clearance to get under the frame. Anyone had any experience or problems with this adjustment?
    Congrats on the purchase. I have a 400 and used to have a 20 loader. Never could get the front mounted pump to stay on very well so I ended up selling the FEL. I had brought the FEL back from the dead so the fact that I got to work was some what of a miracle, but I got tired of spending money on it. They are great to use when they work. Does it have the original Kohler in it? Their weakness is a poor oiling system, a lot of folks will install a gauge but a lot of Kohlers will give up the ghost with a broken rod in the 1100-1500 hour range. They don't make that engine anymore and rebuild kits are getting hard to find. It's a great engine though, pulls hard.

I would find a deck and mount it on your spare one so you have a mower. It's a royal PIA to switch from a FEL to a mower deck.

Good luck on the hydro adjustment. I need to do that to mine but it has never been that big of a deal for me.

Enjoy your tractors. I would check out Weekend Freedom Machines.com there is a pretty good following of 400 owners over there or used to be.
    theduke, Herminator and Merc1973 like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    When I got the tractor, I saw that the PTO pump vibrated badly. I removed the nylon bushing from the bracket that secures the pump arm and replaced it with one I made from a rubber stopper. That damped the vibration down to a reasonable level. I need to correct the hydrostatic misalignment because operating the fel controls, steering and drive lever is more difficult without neutral centering. I don't need a mower deck because I have a JD lawn tractor for that. I needed the garden tractor with a loader for moving some gravel and grading my driveway. Having two is just more fun.
    theduke and Herminator like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CBsJD View Post
    When I got the tractor, I saw that the PTO pump vibrated badly. I removed the nylon bushing from the bracket that secures the pump arm and replaced it with one I made from a rubber stopper. That damped the vibration down to a reasonable level. I need to correct the hydrostatic misalignment because operating the fel controls, steering and drive lever is more difficult without neutral centering. I don't need a mower deck because I have a JD lawn tractor for that. I needed the garden tractor with a loader for moving some gravel and grading my driveway. Having two is just more fun.

If operating the hydraulic controls on the tractor you will lose steering. It’s the design of a 400. It’s hydraulic assist, not hydraulic driven. It also has no self centering.

That shouldn’t occur with the loader controls though. It’s on a separate system.
    Herminator likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast