#1 ·
Auto part Automotive engine part Metal

Here's what's left of my p218g :(:(

See less See more
#2 ·
What happened?

Sent from a phone with a tiny keyboard and a crazy auto-correct feature

#4 ·
I think it ran low on oil after the drain came loose a little. I've hated that setup ever since I got that tractor new. You have to reach through a hole in the frame w/ a pair of pliers to access the drain. Over the yrs, the pin at the drain valve broke completely off. A female friend of mine was using it at the time so need I say more ? That oil drain will be re-engineered if I put this engine back in.

#8 ·
With Onan parts being as expensive as they are, it is a strong disincentive to rebuild Onan's IMHO. I have one in a Wheelhorse 520H, and sadly, the cost to rebuild, the cost to replace with a Briggs Vanguard or Honda is all too similar. Sadly, the value of the tractor post rebuild/engine replacement will probably be less than the cost of the repair. <sigh>. How is it the Home Depot can sell an entire John Deere D120 with a 21HP engine for $1800 and a replacement engine costs us nearly that much. Hmmmmm. What to do...what to do.

#9 ·
ndrmyr- I hear everything your saying and appreciate your input. Guess that you hit it on the head with the pricing. For my 318, I'm looking at about the same- 1800 bucks, for a rebuilt Onan, or Honda re-Power kit. If all the rest of the components and attachments are solid, I really think a rebuilt 316-318 Deere will out perform and out live, the New Home Depot offerings. (But their's are 'shinier'):mocking: ~Scotty

#10 ·
I'd rather have an old and dull but freshly rebuilt or re-powered 318 over a box store mower any day. You just can't beat the difference in machines as far as weight and quality.:good2:

#11 · (Edited)
One thing I have learned in all the almost 40 yrs of working on mechanical stuff. No one has EVER done it themselves. I'm working on exact percentages, but the rough numbers tell me..
Owner Operator 0%
Next door neighbor 10%
Brother in law 20%
Wife 50%
Friend 10%
The missing 10%.... no one knows how it happened! OR!! Well its wasnt like that when I dropped it off for its annual service!
Oh... Sorry for your loss. Call up yur local dealers and be on the look out for trade ins.

#12 ·
:laugh::laugh::thumbup1gif:

"You guys fixed a flat tire on this 6 months ago, now it won't start. This is your fault!"

"Well, I know it got smashed into a pole but it's still under warranty! That better cover this!" :lol:

Sorry for the breakdown. Sounds like repowering might be a better option.

I believe the 318 is a fairly heavy duty garden tractor, isn't it? I can guarantee you none of the machines available at the Big Box Store are garden tractors.

#15 ·
That just sucks... The whole engine was destroyed huh? I'd bet even the block is trashed.:thumbsdown:

#16 ·
I agree absolutely! Those 300 series JD Gt's were at the pinnacle of evolution and continue to be very desirable. My real point is that economies of scale and creeping (perhaps roaring) inflation in replacment parts have brought us to a point where you and I pay as much for a replacment engine as we could for a finished machine with an engine in it. But....it would be real hard to buy the D120, yank the engine (which I don't think would fit), shoe horn it into the 318 and have shiney new unpowered D120 sitting there. Although, a feller could use the seat to make a shop chair, use the frame and tires to make a real cute little wagon and sell the hood on ebay to city fellers who run into stuff and break theirs, oh, and sell the transaxle to somebody who smoked theirs just out of warranty. Hmmmmm.

#17 ·
JD,if the tractor is still in decent shape, my .02 would be to repower it with one of the Briggs drop ins. Yes,it's a fair amount to dish out for an old garden tractor,but if you need this machine for your chores,well, IMO,it's a no brainer. Repowering your 318 is a far better investment than getting one of those "cheaper" grass cutters.:)

#18 ·
I agree. There is nothing on the market today that will compare to a 318.

You can use a rebuilt Onan like our member Hammerhead did: http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...parks-big-john-deere-restoration-project.html

Or you can use a repower Briggs from SEW John Deere 318 Category

Or you can use a Honda from T.H.E. Company, see this thread from WFM: Weekend Freedom Machines: Archive through August 18, 2012 Page 2 of same thread: Weekend Freedom Machines: Q&A ABOUT HONDA REPOWER KITS FROM T.H.E. COMPANY T.H.E. Company's web site: T.H.E. Company - Tom Hassenfritz Equpiment (Note: click on their catalog tab on the top of their web page).

#19 ·
And in 10 years the repowered 318 will still probably be worth close to what it is today. A 10 year old D120 will be, if lucky, 35% of it's current selling price. It will depreciate rapidly while the 318 is probably at the bottom of the curve with a tendancy to begin appreciating when inevitable global inflation occurs as the low-paid 3rd world workers begin to get paid a living wage. Since I can buy a hammer more cheaply today than I could 40 years ago, I suspect someday hammers will cost a great deal more. That's it....I'm going to begin stockpiling hammers!

#22 ·
I had a similar problem, except I bought mine this way. I didn't look where you are located, but I found a guy who sold me a new block, pistons from a B43G, and many other parts for under $200. So, another $200 for gaskets and parts so $400 and my time and hopefully everything goes back together.

So, not all hope is lost. Hopefully you can find some cheap parts.

Red meat is not bad for you. Green fuzzy meat is bad for you!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.