Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: TVS Diodes for Relay Circuits

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 11:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarDon View Post
    It seems as if I have tickled some other's memories. I'm delighted.

One thought to keep in mind. The relay coil and contacts are isolated from each other by design. Any coil discharge can't get to the relay contacts so it goes back on the circuit it is connected to. But then there were the self latching relay connections....

I remember a new AFC circuit modification that replaced a couple vacuum tubes with peanut tubes. They were smaller so you could put a more complicated circuit in the same space. Transistors were still kind of a new thing. The simple relay anti-chatter diode was appropriate for the old relay control circuits. Heck, I still have my contact burnishing tool. Never let a good tool go.

Today, if you want to get fancy you can use semiconductors instead of relays. If you don't mind paying for it that is. Just think solid state relay. No coil spike at least.

Our needs are simpler so a cheap (but quality) relay is really all we need. I should hope the tractor electronics are input protected as many other things can cause a spike on the line and potentially kill them. Still, not to tempt the demon Murphy, we should do our part to eliminate any spikes we might cause. Since I'm not current I won't try to recommend specific devices. I was mostly remembering the old days.

I taught radar systems around the world for about 45 years. One pleasant surprise I had was that almost every electronic device ever invented was used in a radar somewhere. Some were used only in radars. Just like space programs, there were spinoffs. Think Radar Range or micowave oven. I am happy I was able to watch electronics grow up to young adulthood. I wonder what is next? Ah, sorry, the teacher in me goes on and on.
    Memories: WOW! In elementary school, I made an electric hot dog cooker using a small board, two nails sticking up and an electric cord split with an end going to each nail. You had to remember to unplug it before grabbing the hot dog! Cooked the dog in 1 minute.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot dog closeup.jpg  
    keane and SulleyBear like this.
    Chris
    2018 1025R TLB, (260b) 60d mmm, HF iMatch, PHD, rear blade, trailer mover, Ken's BoHs, Traveler LED rear and front work lights.
    2018 3046R w/FEL, HF iMatch, 60" Titan tiller, 60" Titan rotary cutter, pallet forks, rear blade, Ken's BoHs, trailer mover, Traveler LED lights.
    1994 F911 Lawnmower 72" deck

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CG3315 For This Useful Post:

keane (03-31-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #12

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks

Diodes

Can't argue with the theory. But on a horn relay, I'm real sure it matters not.
    Kennyd and SulleyBear like this.

5. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:07 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CG3315 View Post
    Memories: WOW! In elementary school, I made an electric hot dog cooker using a small board, two nails sticking up and an electric cord split with an end going to each nail. You had to remember to unplug it before grabbing the hot dog! Cooked the dog in 1 minute.
    I remember those. I made a Jacobs ladder once by reverse connecting 3 filament transformers in series. I put my hand about 6" over one to see if it was getting hot and after bouncing around on the floor for a minute, got up and turned the power off then found a hammer. Memories are fun. For one thing they show you survived the experience.

This is so much fun, maybe we should start a separate thread.
    SulleyBear and RonPol like this.
    2032R, 220R FEL, 270B Backhoe, RT1157 Tiller, 59" 2000 Snow Blower, LR 2072 Rake, OTC Cab, CL Subsoiler, 3pt Tow Hitch, UA 42" Forks, IMatch with Kenny's Hook, Kenny's Bolt-On Hooks

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #14
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,502 Posts
    Here's what I learned from this Thread........

1. Keane has a source for diodes where it's cheaper to buy 10 than it is to get 1 with shipping from the "normal" source.

2. If you need some TVS diodes, Keane will send them to you.......cuz he is a good guy. I think I sent him something once and the Post Office botched it pretty poorly if I recall.......

3. Things can happen which are bad, that properly used diodes can help prevent or at least mitigate the consequences.

4. I know so little about electricity and electronics that most of what was said, the only thing I can confirm is that it was written in English.

5. Radar technology uses (or used at some point) much of the electronics developed thus far.

6.. Never grab the wiener without permission and until you are sure it's unplugged or you will get more than you bargained for.

I have to say, that item number 6. is probably always good advice to follow in many aspects of daily life.....

I have been very tempted to use this as an opportunity for a joke, but I shall refrain since this isn't the joke thread and last time I launched a political joke in the political joke thread, I was chastised, briefly in error, so I shall refrain......but man is it tempting........

When I was cutting the ends out of tennis can tubes and duct taping them together with a small hole for inserting lighter fluid and another to insert the match to launch the flaming tennis ball at my buddies, you guys were building shocking books, hot dog cookers, electronic devices and learning and teaching others about radar.

Maybe my guidance counselor was right, he kept insisting I simply didn't have what it would take to be successful in life, what a motivational guy he was.........and I used 1/2 stick of dynamite in his residential mail box to send him my reply at 2am........ah memories........amazing I survived my youth to have them.

This was the most interesting "Swap Meet" thread I have ever read.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 04-09-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    RonPol and kylew like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Here's what I learned from this Thread........

Maybe my guidance counselor was right, he kept insisting I simply didn't have what it would take to be successful in life, what a motivational guy he was.........and I used 1/2 stick of dynamite in his residential mail box to send him my reply at 2am........ah memories........amazing I survived my youth to have them.

This was the most interesting "Swap Meet" thread I have ever read.
    If that was about 20 years ago, you got my mail box by mistake And I always blamed the kids on the end of the street.
    RonPol likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:07 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    When I was cutting the ends out of tennis can tubes and duct taping them together with a small hole for inserting lighter fluid and another to insert the match to launch the flaming tennis ball at my buddies, you guys were building shocking books, hot dog cookers, electronic devices and learning and teaching others about radar.
    I didn't have tennis balls but I did launch a few things the same way and called them rockets. Then I got my hands on some M80s, the super-sized firecrackers. Thus ended that potential career. I never understood why everyone heaved a sigh of relief when I joined the military and shipped out.
    2032R, 220R FEL, 270B Backhoe, RT1157 Tiller, 59" 2000 Snow Blower, LR 2072 Rake, OTC Cab, CL Subsoiler, 3pt Tow Hitch, UA 42" Forks, IMatch with Kenny's Hook, Kenny's Bolt-On Hooks

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2