Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: 3038e with 60" rotary cutter as compred to ZTrak

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-06-2018 @ 07:57 AM
    Thanks

3038e with 60" rotary cutter as compred to ZTrak

Hello folks. Opinions/advice needed. We currently have a 3038e with a Frontier RC60 that we have been using on our 5 1/2 acres plus. This was the right solution 2 1/2 years ago when we bought this land. The land was uncared for and had lots of brush and debris. That is all gone now and "natural" grass has come in it's place. We now "finish" mow with the 3038e/RC60. It's not a total of 5 1/2 acres as there is one section that is heavily treed-probably about an acre. We have a trail in that section. And then there is my son's house that he built and then another old stone house. Maybe 3 1/2-4 acres. There is an unused road right of way through the land that likely adds at least a 1/2 acre and then we mow the highway frontage which has to add another 1/2 acre. So approximately 5 acres of relatively flat land with lots of tree's and other obstructions. Using the tractor is cumbersome and it probably takes about 4 hours of tractor mowing that consists of lots of manuevering and then another 1 1/2 hours of push mower and string trimmer to get 'er done. We think we want a zero turn and are looking at a Z500 series-probably the Z540M or R or if I had my druthers the Z915e. We have not looked at them up close yet. The commercial grade is probably the right tool as the land still has rocks-we intend to pick them up and get the land "Z friendly"-it's RC friendly now-but there is a big difference. I'm amazed at how much abuse the RC has taken and has kept on ticking. The question is if adding a Zero turn to the arsenal will effectively reduce our mowing time. I've seen many comparisons between the lawn and garden tractors versus the ztrack's and the ztracks are substantially faster-but what about the 3038e/RC60? The 3038e/RC60 does a pretty good job of cutting and is fast in the open spaces. Just irritating around obstructions. We would still use it for some of the frontage cutting-some of the frontage is wide and flat and beautiful grass we would use the z track for that-other frontage is "ditchy". Thoughts? And would we be happy with a 500 series? Or even a 300 series? I know the 915e would be awesome to have-but the money-$8500 plus is getting beyond the feeling of would it be stupid to spend that much money for a mower to be used on 4 acres on a weekly basis feeling. I'm posting the same question in the Ztrack section as well.
    JD 3038e with D160 Loader, Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, PHD200/12" Post Hole Digger with down force kit, LR2060L Landscape Rake, JD 3rd SCV, Everything Attachments 60" Grapple, Piranha Blade for loader, Ken's Hooks, and a JD Z930M Zero Turn Mower.

Other: Big Goofy Yellow Lab, 2013 GMC 2500 Denali Diesel, Stihl MS-261CM, Stihl Weed Eater, Echo Chain Saw, Poulan Chain Saw. 5.5 acres of challenging clean up! Great Family project with all involved!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks

ZTrack Z540 M or R as compared to a 3038e with RC60 rotary cutter.

Hello folks. Opinions/advice needed. We currently have a 3038e with a Frontier RC60 that we have been using on our 5 1/2 acres plus. This was the right solution 2 1/2 years ago when we bought this land. The land was uncared for and had lots of brush and debris. That is all gone now and "natural" grass has come in it's place. We now "finish" mow with the 3038e/RC60. It's not a total of 5 1/2 acres as there is one section that is heavily treed-probably about an acre. We have a trail in that section. And then there is my son's house that he built and then another old stone house. Maybe 3 1/2-4 acres. There is an unused road right of way through the land that likely adds at least a 1/2 acre and then we mow the highway frontage which has to add another 1/2 acre. So approximately 5 acres of relatively flat land with lots of tree's and other obstructions. Using the tractor is cumbersome and it probably takes about 4 hours of tractor mowing that consists of lots of manuevering and then another 1 1/2 hours of push mower and string trimmer to get 'er done. We think we want a zero turn and are looking at a Z500 series-probably the Z540M or R or if I had my druthers the Z915e. We have not looked at them up close yet. The commercial grade is probably the right tool as the land still has rocks-we intend to pick them up and get the land "Z friendly"-it's RC friendly now-but there is a big difference. I'm amazed at how much abuse the RC has taken and has kept on ticking. The question is if adding a Zero turn to the arsenal will effectively reduce our mowing time. I've seen many comparisons between the lawn and garden tractors versus the ztrack's and the ztracks are substantially faster-but what about the 3038e/RC60? The 3038e/RC60 does a pretty good job of cutting and is fast in the open spaces. Just irritating around obstructions. We would still use it for some of the frontage cutting-some of the frontage is wide and flat and beautiful grass we would use the z track for that-other frontage is "ditchy". Thoughts? And would we be happy with a 500 series? Or even a 300 series? I know the 915e would be awesome to have-but the money-$8500 plus is getting beyond the feeling of would it be stupid to spend that much money for a mower to be used on 4 acres on a weekly basis feeling. I'm posting the same question in the Ztrack section as well.
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    JD 3038e with D160 Loader, Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, PHD200/12" Post Hole Digger with down force kit, LR2060L Landscape Rake, JD 3rd SCV, Everything Attachments 60" Grapple, Piranha Blade for loader, Ken's Hooks, and a JD Z930M Zero Turn Mower.

Other: Big Goofy Yellow Lab, 2013 GMC 2500 Denali Diesel, Stihl MS-261CM, Stihl Weed Eater, Echo Chain Saw, Poulan Chain Saw. 5.5 acres of challenging clean up! Great Family project with all involved!

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,898 Times in 2,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerangJ View Post
    We were in a similar situation YEARS ago.
    IMO, GET the commercial mower.
    Our 5' rear finish mower did a good job but...
    The commercial ZTR is faster
    The ZTR does a better job
    The commercial ZTR will last forever for a homeowner
    A ZTR does NOT need to be attached to a tractor where/when other duties are required of said tractor
    My wife mows our horse pasture plus the lawn with our ZTR, ~ 6 acres.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Drifterbike likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Gizmo-

I see you have the 915B. What motor is in the 915e? I'm not partial to B&S. Like Kawasaki first and Kohler second. I like the idea of the 930 EFI-but now we are adding another couple of thou!

Thanks for the response. Two many choices and two many fun choices on the JD lot!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    05-29-2017 @ 12:44 AM
    Thanks
    My 4' ZTR will run circles around my 60d. I cut about 2-3 acres and save 1 hour using the ZTR, not to mention it cuts back on trimming.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks
    Have you considered a used garden tractor or Z turn? Sounds like the 3038 does the job for about 75% of the problem and you simply need something for around obstacles etc. I used to cut about a 5 acre practice field with a 425 garden tractor in about 3 hours with a 54 inch deck. It was all open though with only a few obstacles.

I would think a used mower would be a better fit if cost is a concern for the moment. Once you get the entire property Z friendly then get a new one and enjoy.
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Have you considered a used garden tractor or Z turn? Sounds like the 3038 does the job for about 75% of the problem and you simply need something for around obstacles etc. I used to cut about a 5 acre practice field with a 425 garden tractor in about 3 hours with a 54 inch deck. It was all open though with only a few obstacles.

I would think a used mower would be a better fit if cost is a concern for the moment. Once you get the entire property Z friendly then get a new one and enjoy.
    Hmmm! Maybe-what kills me is I sold a L130 about 3 years before we bought this property. I would love to have it back now. My son wants to get a low end or used Ztrack. I'm not a fan of that idea. But maybe it is a good temporary situation.
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Yes-I was thinking there might be a broader base of experience from two perspectives. Yes I am probably over analyzing this decision.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BoomerangJ For This Useful Post:

Fade2Blk (08-19-2018)

13. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,898 Times in 2,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerangJ View Post
    Thanks Gizmo-

I see you have the 915B. What motor is in the 915e? I'm not partial to B&S. Like Kawasaki first and Kohler second. I like the idea of the 930 EFI-but now we are adding another couple of thou!

Thanks for the response. Two many choices and two many fun choices on the JD lot!
    25HP Kohler.
    John Deere
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast