F710 PTO Wiring question

Thread: F710 PTO Wiring question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-19-2017 @ 07:09 AM
    Thanks

F710 PTO Wiring question

I have a JD F710 bout about a year ago. The tractor came with a PTO switch that is not a JD switch, it's a plunger style and it's not wired correctly. I'm on my 3rd Coil and ignitor and believe that the switch is causing the issue with the coil. I am ordering the correct switch from John Deere. Does anyone have a pic of the correct wiring for this PTO? Or perhaps could send me a copy of the wiring from the Tech Manual? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    1979 314
    1991 F710
    2001 Gator 6x4

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    05-19-2017 @ 07:09 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2mbr View Post
    I have a JD F710 bout about a year ago. The tractor came with a PTO switch that is not a JD switch, it's a plunger style and it's not wired correctly. I'm on my 3rd Coil and ignitor and believe that the switch is causing the issue with the coil. I am ordering the correct switch from John Deere. Does anyone have a pic of the correct wiring for this PTO? Or perhaps could send me a copy of the wiring from the Tech Manual? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Got the correct switch, and put it in. Seems to work...
    Can anyone tell me what or how the igniter works? Also it's a Kawasaki fc540v engine.

Thanks!
    1979 314
    1991 F710
    2001 Gator 6x4

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2mbr View Post
    Got the correct switch, and put it in. Seems to work...
    Can anyone tell me what or how the igniter works? Also it's a Kawasaki fc540v engine.

Thanks!
    This ignitor mounts next to the flywheel. There is an air gap measurement that must be maintained. I usually place a business card between the ignitor and the flywheel and then tighten the screws so I can loosely pull the the card out with slight drag.

The ignitor coil builds a magnetic field. The flywheel has a notch cut into. When the notch passes thru the magnetic field it causes the field to collapse and the spark plug to fire, ok yes this oversimplified but for trouble shooting it gets the idea across.

If your coil keeps failing make sure the air gap is set correct and that you have the correct spark plug and that it is gapped correctly.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements