• 1 Post By clayh
  • 1 Post By GREENVA

Thread: z915b won't turn over or crank when hot

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-21-2017 @ 10:12 AM
    Thanks

Angry z915b won't turn over or crank when hot

Hi. New here and really struggling w/ my z915b. It only has 152 hrs on it, but withing the last year it has refused to start after it is hot (after running for about 30 min to an hour). I talked w/ my local dealership and they said they had never heard of this problem. After cooling off for several hours (meaning 3 or more), it will turn over, crank and run w/ no problems. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,342 Times in 2,611 Posts
    Is the engine turning over and not firing or is the engine not turning over with the starter?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    it isn't turning over at all. doesn't click or anything. it's like it doesn't even recognize the key is being turned, but give it a few hours and it'll work just fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,342 Times in 2,611 Posts
    More than likely it's either your PTO switch or the ignition switch causing your issue. There was a thread not too long ago with the same problem and a new switch solved it.

My PTO switch is a bit hinky once in a while too. I'll be replacing mine. As a matter of fact, the switches are listed on the commonly used parts list for the Zs. They are considered a high wear item.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and ky_shawn like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,074 Times in 3,007 Posts
    BigJim55 and ky_shawn like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    thanks. i stopped by my dealership yesterday and talked to one of the mechanics and he said that it was probably one of those. guess i'll spend some money w/ them next week.
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    Next time it does it fiddle with the PTO switch while holding the key in the start position. If it suddenly starts then you know for sure its the PTO switch.
    Kusa likes this.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fred80 View Post
    Hi. New here and really struggling w/ my z915b. It only has 152 hrs on it, but withing the last year it has refused to start after it is hot (after running for about 30 min to an hour). I talked w/ my local dealership and they said they had never heard of this problem. After cooling off for several hours (meaning 3 or more), it will turn over, crank and run w/ no problems. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?
    No clue but mine does the exact same thing.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    *JOHN DEERE 2038R w/ 220R FEL-72" AUTOCONNECT MMM-270B BACKHOE-8"-16" BUCKET-KBOHC-IMATCH QUICK HITCH w/KBOHTH-BALLAST BOX-42" ARTILLIAN FORKS-FRONTIER RC2060-FRONTIER RB2072-LANDPRIDE CA1556-LANDPRIDE FSP 700-LANDPRIDE PD25-12'-24" AUGERS-EA 60" GARDEN BEDDER-EA 72" HD LAND PLANE-NORTHSTAR 55 GAL SPRAYER-TUFF TOP SCR-44-COUNTYLINE CARRYALL
    *JOHN DEERE Z930M 60" MOD-FULL SUSPENSION SEAT-ZGLIDE SUSPENSION-XTWEEL TIRES

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    07-08-2017 @ 10:35 AM
    Thanks

Fix that worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by fred80 View Post
    I unplugged the safety switch under the seat & put in a bypass jumper (loop) on the connector at the end of the cable. Used 2 crimp style electrical contacts that fit in the connector & crimped them onto a short piece of wire. Used electrical tape to make sure it wouldn't come disconnected. Fifteen minutes of my time & the problem never happened again. I have read threads where the same problem was experienced with Kohler and Kawasaki engines. Mine was a Kohler 24 HP. That tells me that it wasn't the engine itself. I purchased the mower used with 380 hrs on it.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements