Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Upgraded to a 960M

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks

Upgraded to a 960M

So, I've been looking at zero turn mowers for a couple years. I have between 3 and 6 acres to mow, depending on what I let grow up as field grass, a billion trees and lots of slopes/hills. I have been using a very old RX75 (36" deck riding mower) we unaffectionately call the "John Fawn". It's old and slow, but it gets the job done as the time spent mowing approaches infinity. My youngest son loves mowing and has adopted the mowing job. The time spent mowing is golden time to him (he's autistic and riding a mower is one of his "things").

OK, the time spent mowing is valuable to him but mowing every night of the week is taxing regardless who is mowing and the RX75 isn't getting any newer. We had been looking for a 72" deck machine since we cleared the land with the need to mow it with the brush hog, most trees remaining are spaced for that (lots of room). Anyway, an offer I couldn't refuse was made to me for a 960M during a chance trip to my dealer for a missing bolt/washer/nut in my ballast box extension kit last week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170701_123716.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	403658
    Somehow I walked out with a Ztrak too. The pic is from taking delivery the next day.

Yes it has Tweels, or what ever they're called... I'm the kid with the funny handle bars on his bike. The deal was for a floor model that wasn't moving it came with the tweels and run-flat fronts ('might as well be steel casters). It did come with the high end suspension seat which is very nice and my 72" deck (+ a 31HP kawi engine). I have mowed with it but have no contrast to draw from for comparison as I haven't mowed with pneumatics on a zero turn before. Its better than a RX75 I'll tell ya that... Its fast and nimble, boat loads of power and holds to my hills w/out issue.

My buddy who runs a lawn care business was here last night and took it for a ride. He really liked it. He said the tweels did nothing for the ride that his machine didn't already do ("I can't tell the difference", was his response on the tweels). But over all he was very positive on the machine. He runs Scags, only Scags.

First mowing was over 3x faster than the little john fawn - and we had no idea what we were doing. It will be even more significant as the learning curve is flattened. The new green machine sits next to the big tractor in the barn, which is currently curing its ballast box cement. Man, they get hot! 160F on the oven Tstat was the peak (medium-one according to the Tstat). I hosed the case down until it was cold again after the pick. It's currently about 140F. Sugar slowed the start of the cure, but after it got going...wow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170704_085147.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	403666

Matt
    Last edited by MattF; 07-04-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    If Knowledge is Power, Wisdom is Torque
    1989 RX75 "The Chick Magnet"
    2017 960M Ztrak
    2008 John Deere 4720
    w/
    400X FEL w/ HD bucket & 72" Ratchet Rake
    Horst 48" Pallet Forks
    Woods TSG 50 Stump grinder
    Woods 72X Brushbull
    Land Pride HR3584 Box Blade
    Land Pride LR1584 Rake
    Cat 1 Imatch QH

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 2,309 Posts
    Congratulations - that should be a mowing monster!

I am sitting here staring at the pic - first time I saw one with tweels in "real life". I like it - I think....almost looks like it could be a space ship or something from the future.

I'd love to try one with the tweels some day - but will never happen as my only dealer is long gone.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    I like it. Sweet ride!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    Nice machine. Now turn it over to your son!
    Drifterbike and PJR832 like this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Thanks
    Incredible machine, surprised no suspension other than seat, and I guess tweel deflection.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,097 Times in 3,021 Posts
    NICE!
    etcallhome, Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Not that I'm down on the tweels - they are very nice and by all accounts are great tires, just too expensive to make much market penetration. If they were cost neutral to pneumatics, I think they'd be on many, if not most, machines sold. I'm just in the group who wouldn't pay for them if I had the choice. I'm really thrilled to finally get a zero turn and my dealer more than eliminated the cost of the tweels in our arrangement so I'm at peace.

My ideal machine was carbureted, had pneumatic tires I could adjust (but also have to maintain) had the best seat I could buy, a high 20's/low 30' s HP gas engine and had the 72" deck. That started with a 950M in JD land. Note I didn't want to pay for EFI either. Due to my relatively low usage rate compared to a commercial user, it'd be a looooong time before I made the $$ difference back in fuel consumption.

The tweels don't bounce much, they just deform, which is the suspension benefit - I think in many cases tire pressure could be sufficiently lowered to emulate the ride. This may not be true if hills are part of the mowing job and traversing causes you to break the bead (heavier machines would have this issue I think). My seat, which is the highest seat option, is very nice and does a lot of the suspension work. The run flat fronts don't deform or bounce ... but they do go around which makes the rest of the ZTrak awesome.

I have two details to work out with my dealer - one more important that the other.

1. Backfires... a lot of them. Any shut down not preceded by an idle period will cause one. Poor starts (The dealer did this himself) can very bad ones. Even idled, the engine will sometimes backfire on shutdown, certainly a stall will generate one. I don't hear the carb. fuel solenoid switching at all... I'm not sure I can on the JD but I could hear my buddies Scag open and close. I'm going to talk with the dealer on this today.
    2. A minor issue, my seat back is not stiff. Regardless of the adjustment, it always has several degrees of play in the recline setting unless its in full upright against the stops. I'd like to get that addressed along the way.

Any thoughts on those items? I have lots of experience with engines and this one is very susceptible to creating a backfire event. More so than most/all gas engines I've worked with. I mean, idling briefly (e.g. 30sec to a few minutes) at shutdown is standard practice but still induces the event sometimes and not following the practice guarantees a report.

July is my area's highest deg. day value month. Slow grass growing currently. Not much seat time in the new machine right now.

Thanks!
    Matt
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    If Knowledge is Power, Wisdom is Torque
    1989 RX75 "The Chick Magnet"
    2017 960M Ztrak
    2008 John Deere 4720
    w/
    400X FEL w/ HD bucket & 72" Ratchet Rake
    Horst 48" Pallet Forks
    Woods TSG 50 Stump grinder
    Woods 72X Brushbull
    Land Pride HR3584 Box Blade
    Land Pride LR1584 Rake
    Cat 1 Imatch QH

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 2,309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    Not that I'm down on the tweels - they are very nice and by all accounts are great tires, just too expensive to make much market penetration. If they were cost neutral to pneumatics, I think they'd be on many, if not most, machines sold. I'm just in the group who wouldn't pay for them if I had the choice. I'm really thrilled to finally get a zero turn and my dealer more than eliminated the cost of the tweels in our arrangement so I'm at peace.

My ideal machine was carbureted, had pneumatic tires I could adjust (but also have to maintain) had the best seat I could buy, a high 20's/low 30' s HP gas engine and had the 72" deck. That started with a 950M in JD land. Note I didn't want to pay for EFI either. Due to my relatively low usage rate compared to a commercial user, it'd be a looooong time before I made the $$ difference back in fuel consumption.

The tweels don't bounce much, they just deform, which is the suspension benefit - I think in many cases tire pressure could be sufficiently lowered to emulate the ride. This may not be true if hills are part of the mowing job and traversing causes you to break the bead (heavier machines would have this issue I think). My seat, which is the highest seat option, is very nice and does a lot of the suspension work. The run flat fronts don't deform or bounce ... but they do go around which makes the rest of the ZTrak awesome.

I have two details to work out with my dealer - one more important that the other.

1. Backfires... a lot of them. Any shut down not preceded by an idle period will cause one. Poor starts (The dealer did this himself) can very bad ones. Even idled, the engine will sometimes backfire on shutdown, certainly a stall will generate one. I don't hear the carb. fuel solenoid switching at all... I'm not sure I can on the JD but I could hear my buddies Scag open and close. I'm going to talk with the dealer on this today.
    2. A minor issue, my seat back is not stiff. Regardless of the adjustment, it always has several degrees of play in the recline setting unless its in full upright against the stops. I'd like to get that addressed along the way.

Any thoughts on those items? I have lots of experience with engines and this one is very susceptible to creating a backfire event. More so than most/all gas engines I've worked with. I mean, idling briefly (e.g. 30sec to a few minutes) at shutdown is standard practice but still induces the event sometimes and not following the practice guarantees a report.

July is my area's highest deg. day value month. Slow grass growing currently. Not much seat time in the new machine right now.

Thanks!
    Matt
    I don't know what is in your manual, but....

When I had a 757 with Kawasaki motor, the manual instructs to shut down the engine at 1/2 throttle. Well I couldn't stand to do that and shut it off at idle. Sure enough - backfire every time. The only other way I found I could shut it down at idle is to let it idle for at least 1 full minute. Being I was loading it on my trailer each time I would load it and let it idle while I tied it down - then shut it off.

What does your manual say?
    Gizmo2, Jeff B and Robnik like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

MattF (07-07-2017)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    What does your manual say?
    I just checked and oddly enough JD does not have any of the 960M operator's manuals available on line.
    Gizmo2 and Robnik like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    I have a different engine but can't really think of it backfiring. Not saying it never does it but not enough that I notice. That said I have read of them doing this so I don't think this is a sign of a problem. I will say they sure seem loud compared to other Kawasaki engines like in my X585.
    Robnik likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast