• 3 Post By Countrylife
  • 1 Post By Z5D1

Thread: Z525 question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-29-2018 @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks

Z525 question

It seems that the Z5xx is "new". Just how new is "new"? Is this the 1st year for it? Any information on reliability?

I'm looking for a ZTR and have Kubota, JD, and Lowe's (selling JD and Husky) available for choices. The residential Kubotas are priced $2k over what I'm willing to spend. I'm not especially impressed with Husky so I've been focusing on JD. I've looked at the Z3xx series and feel that the 5xx series seems to be well built and reasonably priced. Of course the JD dealer wants more than what Lowe's wants, but he'd be the one to do any repairs/warranty work so - - - probably go with the dealer.

I'm looking specifically at the Z525E. It comes in a 48" and 54" deck. The salesman says the engine is underpowered for the 54" deck. Of course, he has the 48" and Lowe's has the 54" deck. Anyone have any experience with this machine in either size?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    I just bought a 540R with the 54" deck. It appears that you can get the 525 with it as well. I will say get the 54 if you can. The extra width is great for getting in tight to gardens - trees etc. Ive only cut with it 6 times but the cut quality is outstanding. I don't know if the deck mounting set up on the 525 is the same as the 540R. But if it is. It's really easy to work with and level. As for power I cant see it being under powered for the 54. There are plenty of machines from all brands out there with less power than that running 54's.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    2014 1023E - R4 Tires - H120 Loader - Ballast Box - Forward lighting kit with Artillian horse blinders - 48" Ratchet Rake Snow Edge - 42" HLA Forks
    2017 Z540R - 54" High Capacity Deck - Forward Lighting & Mulch Kit - 60" Farm King Rear Snow Blower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    I don't have any personal experience with the Z525 but while it is "new" I would doubt much has changed. In terms of reliability you are probably talking about an engine that has been around for years powered by a method that hasn't changed much. Remember John Deere doesn't make small engines. Heck even on their bigger CUT machines they are powered by Yanmar diesels as far as I know and their bigger gas mowers/tractors are Kawasaki as I have in my Z950R and X585. I would imagine the same is the case with Kubota and Husky. I don't know this for sure but it is entirely possible if you look at the engine and the transaxles on the machines you are comparing, they very well may used the same drivetrain. For the most part John Deere and the other manufacturers are only building the mower deck, frame, sheet metal, plastic and slapping everything together with green, orange or red paint. I know in my X585 the Tuff Torq K92 transmission is used on a bunch of different machines of all colors. As is the 25HP FD671 Kawasaki V-twin.

The other thing I would throw out there is if you are a veteran. You don't need to be disabled, retired or anything like that. Just have a DD214. Bring it with and most stores will give you 10% off any purchase. We do a lot of shopping at Lowes and while I am a Disabled Vet, I just show them my VA Disability card and they apply the discount. It applies to sale prices as well. Some stores may limit the discount only to main holidays like Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veteran's Day but ask. Mine does it every day of the week. They have asked that I have the veteran status applied to the My Lowes account. Then when they scan the card it is automatically applied rather than having to wait for a manager override on the cash register.

Hope this helps.
    BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    07-28-2017 @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    Z525's started being made in 2016. The question I would be interested in is (1) what do you plan on cutting? (2) How much acreage? (3) Are you plan on cutting other yards as a "commercial cutter?" Z525's have briggs engines in them. We call them 500hr engines. If you got 500hrs out of it then the engine owed you nothing. The difference between say buying a Deere with a Briggs engine and buying most other models is that Deere warranties the engine. Usually companies do not warranty the engines, the warranty goes through the manufacturer of the engine. What this means is, you buy a husqvarna with a kawasaki engine...if anything goes wrong then the warranty goes through kawasaki. Kawasaki will not pay diagnostic fees, they will only pay parts and repair. That means you have to find someone who is certified to do kawasaki warranties. Same goes with Briggs.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capachkid For This Useful Post:

lindsey97 (07-29-2017), Luiz (07-29-2017)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    12-29-2018 @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    I picked up a new John Deere Z525E mower yesterday. I now have about 1 hour on it and I thought y’all would like a report on it. It’s a nice machine! I got the 54” deck and was concerned that it may not have enough HP to run it. I’ve got grass in the 12” to 14” height, but it cut it easily. I started out with the deck fully up and I didn’t expect the cuttings to clear from the deck very well, especially when blowing into the tall grass. It blew the grass clippings out just like it was a silage chopper. It’s going to take some practice to control it since the steering works differently, but I can tell that once I get the hang of it, it’s really going to be great. I do consider the arms to be “sensitive” in that it doesn’t take much movement to get a corresponding movement in the machine. That’s just part of the process of learning the machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9222.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	421258
    Gizmo2, golf12 and Luiz like this.

9. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,993 Times in 2,950 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrylife View Post
    I picked up a new John Deere Z525E mower yesterday. I now have about 1 hour on it and I thought y’all would like a report on it. It’s a nice machine! I got the 54” deck and was concerned that it may not have enough HP to run it. I’ve got grass in the 12” to 14” height, but it cut it easily. I started out with the deck fully up and I didn’t expect the cuttings to clear from the deck very well, especially when blowing into the tall grass. It blew the grass clippings out just like it was a silage chopper. It’s going to take some practice to control it since the steering works differently, but I can tell that once I get the hang of it, it’s really going to be great. I do consider the arms to be “sensitive” in that it doesn’t take much movement to get a corresponding movement in the machine. That’s just part of the process of learning the machine.
    Congratulations.
    I think you're gonna love the machine.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    In January I bought a new Z525E 48". I got mine from a dealer. Lowes and HD only had the 54". I wanted a 48. I have almost 50hrs on it so far. It replaced my old(425 hrs) Troy Bilt 42" ZTR. In my opinion it is a very good ztr. I mows fast and mows well. Plenty of power for a 48". If the grass isn't too tall I'm sure it could handle a 54. The one feature that sold me on the Z525E over all the others I looked at is the open chute hole. It has a 10ga deck making a support bar across the bottom of the chute hole unnecessary. With the big hole the chute never clogs if I get into tall grass. I looked at many others including a Hustler Raptor and Kubota. I test drove the Kubota and the travel in the arms seemed stiff to me. The Z525E stirring is very light and crazy easy to whip around objects. This may not matter to you but it cuts Bahiagrass cleanly. That was a concern for me. Where I'm at in east Texas I have lots of it. I'm very happy with mine so far.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    very nice machine. and you're right that once you get the hang of it you'll be flyin' around your property. Now that I'm running a z-turn I am kicking myself for all the years I spent without one!
    2014 1023E - R4 Tires - H120 Loader - Ballast Box - Forward lighting kit with Artillian horse blinders - 48" Ratchet Rake Snow Edge - 42" HLA Forks
    2017 Z540R - 54" High Capacity Deck - Forward Lighting & Mulch Kit - 60" Farm King Rear Snow Blower

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements