New z345r Bagger Problem

Thread: New z345r Bagger Problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-01-2017 @ 10:31 AM
    Thanks

New z345r Bagger Problem

To start off with, I got a z345m from home depot. I didnt not know the differences in model numbers and I stopped by a JD dealer and saw a z345r. So I carried the one back to Home Depot and got the z345r from the AgPro dealer. I had them install a bagger before I picked it up. I cut grass with the z345m twice and it did a wonderful job other that of course leaving all the grass in the yard, which is why I wanted the bagger. So last night I cust grass with the z345r with the bagger and to my surprise it was throwing grass all over the place. It was bagging it but two laps around the yard and I was covered head to toe with grass. It throws it out the right side of the deck and blows up, and it blows it out the front and back up on the floor board and all down my shoes and over my legs. Surely this cant be right can it? Does anyone on here have a clue how to fix or keep this from happening? I have googled and googled and dont see where anyone has complained and I would think if this was normal someone would have complained. It was so back and had to strip down in the garage and go take a shower before I could put anything up last night. It looks like the bagger is staight forward how it attaches and looks like its on right. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    Off the top of my head, what is your deck height set to? Another thing to throw out there, I have the collection system on my Z950R which is a much bigger machine, but I go through deck leveling when I go from collecting (leaves in the fall and spring cleanup) to normal cutting where I just use side discharge. I would imagine that the Z345R uses some form of the Powerflow head and that is going to add weight that is hanging off the side of the deck. Now the residential powerflow head on my X585 is much smaller and lighter (plastic mainly) than the commercial version of the Powerflow on my Z950R. This can cause clippings to discharge out the non-discharge side as the deck may hang lower on the right side. In the case of the Z950R Powerflow, it is probably 50-60lbs of weight hanging off the side of the deck. It is worth checking that the deck is level. If you don't have a gauge, they are not expensive and worth the $15 or so. Or you can at least check it with a tape measure while on level ground. With the deck lowered to cutting height, check the lower deck edge on the left side and try and compare it to the right roughly in the same location. If the smaller machines are set up the same as the big ones, the front should be lower than the back by a little bit. The nice thing about the gauge is you are taking your measurements off the blades rather than the deck which is a better measurement.

Another thing you could try is to check if different blades if they are available and what blades you are running. I know with the 7 Iron Pro Deck they have a few different blade options. I use High Lift JD Blades with my collection system. This blade keeps the clippings/leaves up in the deck more so they can move over to the Powerflow head and into the collection hopper. The rest of the year when not collecting I use Gator G6 blades or John Deere's version of Gator Blades which gives me a little better dispersion of the clippings and makes for a smaller clipping size.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-01-2017 @ 10:31 AM
    Thanks
    I have the deck set to 3 which is about half way up. Any thing any lower cuts it to short. Its a stright shoot system with no power head. They told me they made sure the deck is level when I picked it up but I have not checked it myself. So you dont get covered with grass I take it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    No, I don't get covered in grass. Well I don't use it for grass really but I do get covered in dust from grinding up leaves as I mainly collect in the fall/spring. The thing is we are talking pretty different machines. This is a Z930M with the collection system which is pretty close to my Z950R.

It sounds like what they do on the Z345R is something like this where the tube just sits on the discharge and whatever blows out will kind of make its way up the tube into the bagger. What you have looks like this.

The residential Powerflow head that I was talking about which is what I have on my X585 looks like what is on this machine. I think this picture was a Z5xx. Not sure the exact model but it might be a bit bigger than yours.

I don't know the smaller units as well but trying to help out where I can with where things might be similar. When they install a Powerflow head they add another pulley that is stacked on the right spindle. Then a belt runs off that pulley to drive the Powerflow head. The head is more than just a 90 deg bend and has an impeller inside it to create a vacuum and actually suck up and then blow the clippings/leaves into the bagger/hopper/cart.

You said you are running at about level 3. I assume 3" or so. I cut to 3.25" so pretty close. One thing to note, depending on what blade I actually run it will change my Height of Cut (HOC). This is because the bend angles of the blades are a bit different between the OEM John Deere High Lift, the JD Gator and the real Gator G6 blades. While I could go through the deck re-calibration process with the deck leveling gauge, that is way too much work. I just set it a little higher or lower. Either way I was thinking that maybe you were cutting at something like 4" where the deck is so high it can't create suction so the clippings were just blowing out from under the deck and not making its way over to the Powerflow head. Turns out you don't even have a Powerflow head which I think is where your problem is but maybe they can get away with that on the smaller decks. As I mentioned, I just don't know the smaller machines as well. I don't think it is an issue of running the too high of a HOC or a deck way out of level as a setting of 3" is pretty standard. It is probably that the design is like blowing into a straw that is 1" from your lips, vs putting your lips on the end of a shop vac that is turned on.

Is it possible to add a Powerflow head to your machine? They are not cheap but it would improve performance a lot. It looks like your machine is a 22hp engine running a 42" deck. That should be enough power to run one if it will fit the deck. My X585 is a 25HP machine running a 52" Deck with the residential version of a Powerflow head and the Z950R is a 27HP machine running a much heavier commercial Powerflow on a 60" deck. So power wise, I don't see an issue. I just don't know if one can be physically attached to the 42" deck.

Also double check that you are running the right blades. A quick search shows that they make a High Lift Blade for bagging and a regular one for normal work. I use a High Lift Blade when running my collection system. You might have to pull a blade to read the part number on it. I don't know that a high lift blade will make it perfect but being you don't have a Powerflow head it would be better than running a standard blade. I could see where the dealer might miss swapping out the blades for the right ones. Again not going to be a 100% fix but it might help if you have the wrong ones.

John Deere High-Lift Bagging Blade 42 Accel Deck Part# GX25668
    John Deere Blade for 42-inch Accel Mower Deck Part# M170639

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements