• 4 Post By sennister
  • 3 Post By BigJim55

Thread: ZTR and a Big guy no match

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks

ZTR and a Big guy no match

On the 21st last month I had my Z970R delivered. Bought used a 2015 with 215 hours and a real good buy. On that Sunday I climbed on it to mow my yard. Got on it and the first thing I noticed I had to adjust the control arms all the way forward. Got that done got back on it went to put seat belt on and it did not fit. Ok started it up and headed into the yard. I had watched several videos on mowing with a ztr so I thought I was ready. I stopped and brought it up to half idle and lowered the deck and engaged to pto. Brought it up to full idle and took off slowly. Got near end of first row pulled back on control arms and hit my stomach still moving forward. In order to get into reverse I found I had to adjust the seat back into almost reclining and spread the control arm somewhat. This was no t comfortable but it did a great job mowing and it was a lot faster. On Monday I called the dealer parts to order a seat belt extension, they never heard of one and they called Deere and they don't offer one. My one from ford don't quite work. So the following Friday one week after it was delivered it went back to the dealer. My dealer is a first class outfit and offered me a full refund. You can't beat that!! Sorry to see it go my son loved it but it had to be. Of course when I was there the 2038R bug bit me but that's another thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    That drives me nuts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks
    I'm surprised they can't adjust the levers or have offset levers available. I wouldn't know if my seat belt fits, never used it.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    As for the seat belt, I see you had the ROPS folded in your photo. The reason there isn't a safety which requires the seatbelt for operation is because you are not supposed to wear it if the ROPS is folded. It is recommended if you have it locked in the up position. The thought is that if you rolled the machine, which would be pretty hard with the low CG, that if the ROPS was folded you would have a better chance to bail or be thrown clear. If the ROPS is up then your best bet is to ride it out.

Can't help with the control sticks. There is some adjustment to them but mainly up. There is also a calibration bolt adjustment but I think that is just on one side. That is intended to make an adjustment so when both control sticks are pressed forward the same amount, you track in a relatively straight line. So the one that adjusts is tweaked forward or back to get them synced up. One of those things you probably do once and never again. I know I messed with it my first time out and that was it. There is two positions, low and high that the sticks can be mounted in but I don't know if that would have helped and depending on your height, it might make matters worse as it could be like mowing with ape hangers if you were short. I am 6'4" so I have them mounted in the high position.

The problem with the R version is with the PTO and deck lift buttons in the control sticks, it makes it harder to modify them. You could do without the PTO button as all that does is cut it off but the machine wouldn't be very useful without the deck lift. The B/E and M versions use a foot operated deck lift and have no PTO kill switch.
    Last edited by sennister; 08-02-2017 at 07:46 AM.
    rtgt, BigJim55, Robnik and 1 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike(08-02-2017)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Drifterbike--i feel ur pain. when i was helping my cousin mow this spring, i had the same problem. could go like heck forward, but when it came to backing up, them darn sticks hit my belly.

the other problem i had the first couple times, was getting on and off. after a few times, it got easier, but i still love my X-475 way better.............than her sit and spin for a yard mower. and i think it the sit and spin rode way...........worse than my mower. just my 2 cts.
    rtgt, Robnik and buckteeth445 like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike(08-02-2017)

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements