Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 915B Leaking transmission

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-20-2017 @ 07:42 AM
    Thanks

915B Leaking transmission

I have a 1-month out of warranty (~100 hours) 915b that i noticed recently was leaking transmission oil. I took it into my john deere service department who reported that the topseal and filter seals were leaking. To replace them they are asking ~$114 for parts and $745 in labor. I find it odd that both transmissions are leaking. Anybody else have this problem? Also, the labor costs are killing me...anybody do the work to reseal a transmission? is it something a DYIer should be able to do?
    Gizmo2 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 3,009 Posts
    Welcome to GTT jonnyg.
    Ours leaked and it wasn't what I thought at first.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...tml#post217533
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

jonnyg (08-20-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyg View Post
    I have a 1-month out of warranty (~100 hours) 915b that i noticed recently was leaking transmission oil. I took it into my john deere service department who reported that the topseal and filter seals were leaking. To replace them they are asking ~$114 for parts and $745 in labor. I find it odd that both transmissions are leaking. Anybody else have this problem? Also, the labor costs are killing me...anybody do the work to reseal a transmission? is it something a DYIer should be able to do?
    jonnyg, You are a human being, Right?

Did you know that a human being assembled the transmission, and another human being installed it in the Z915B. So, you being a human person, get you some tools...correct ones and remove the transmission(s) and fix it.

Many years ago at a John Deere dealership parts dept. wacko told me I needed to have their shop repair my JD200. I told him..."What man put together, man can take apart."
    johnH123 likes this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kbeaag For This Useful Post:

jonnyg (08-20-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    If you are one month out of warranty you need to talk to the service mgr. This is a very well known problem. Deere should step up and pay this one. At a minimum at least the labor.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, DRobinson and Old Cajun like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

jonnyg (08-20-2017)

10. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 3,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    If you are one month out of warranty you need to talk to the service mgr. This is a very well known problem. Deere should step up and pay this one. At a minimum at least the labor.
    From what I understand the parts are like nothing, $ wise.
    Like I mentioned in my thread, one side was leaking, dealer replaced both sides.
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 08-18-2017 at 07:24 AM.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    From what I understand the parts are like nothing, $ wise.
    Like I mentioned in my thread, one side was leaking, dealer replaced both sides.
    I just resealed one yesterday. 1 month out of warranty. Right side was repaired under warranty. We ate the cost of resealing the left side. Should of done both while under warranty. Thats one good thing about the larger dealers. We can afford now and then to consume costs to make it right.

Last edited by xcopterdoc; 08-18-2017 at 09:12 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (08-19-2017), jonnyg (08-20-2017)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-20-2017 @ 07:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your replies!

kbeaag: I like the idea of doing my own repairs. I need to find some time to dig into the machine...but I'll wait until the grass growing slows and the temperature dips a bit--in Houston, that's December!

xcopterdoc: I spoke to the dealer and they thought their John Deere rep could help. Still waiting to see. I really hope they do the right thing, as it sounds like this is a known issue.

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyg View Post
    Thank you all for your replies!

kbeaag: I like the idea of doing my own repairs. I need to find some time to dig into the machine...but I'll wait until the grass growing slows and the temperature dips a bit--in Houston, that's December!

xcopterdoc: I spoke to the dealer and they thought their John Deere rep could help. Still waiting to see. I really hope they do the right thing, as it sounds like this is a known issue.

Those transmissions in the Z915B should be Tuff Torq models, and Tuff Torq may like to hear about the problems were both started leaking same time. Could be a flaw in the way they are assembled or bad parts that is causing the trouble.

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    Those transmissions in the Z915B should be Tuff Torq models, and Tuff Torq may like to hear about the problems were both started leaking same time. Could be a flaw in the way they are assembled or bad parts that is causing the trouble.
    Its bab parts. A 1inch dia cap plug. Cracks and leaks. Also the input shaft seal is a problem. Tuff torque knows. Parts were redesigned. No trouble out of the new parts.

DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Its bab parts. A 1inch dia cap plug. Cracks and leaks. Also the input shaft seal is a problem. Tuff torque knows. Parts were redesigned. No trouble out of the new parts.

I might be fine with the redesign depending on when it happened but was this also a problem on the R model? I haven't noticed any leaks but I will look for it. I know there are some differences with the transaxeles on the R vs the B/E/M but this sounds more like a case issue and that might be common parts between all of them. The main differences being higher ground speed and cross porting between the units. Not sure if there are modifications to the other transaxeles to make the the same as the R.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast