Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Must Re-engineer JD Z710A Anti-Scalp Wheels

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks

Must Re-engineer JD Z710A Anti-Scalp Wheels

I've probably removed these grass clipping/or just grass from these front Anti-Scalp wheel several hundred times over these years, and I've had enough of the way those engineers designed the setup. There should be a bracket so the grass doesn't wrap around the wheel axle and I have to remove the wheels and pull the grass out.

So, starting tomorrow morning I'm designing me a bracket such that I won't have to do that anymore.

When I get it all finish and painted up I'' post some pictures.

BTW: These were new wheels this spring, and when the grass wraps around the axle the wheel won't turn and the get all battered up and cut like you see in the photos.

Last edited by kbeaag; 08-22-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    rtgt, keefus, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,576 Posts
    I'm curious to see what you come up with
    rtgt, keefus and Old Cajun like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,342 Times in 2,611 Posts
    Interesting. I don't ever seem to have grass wrapped around that axle. Ever. But my anti-scalp wheels are all beat and marked up like that. I figured that's quite normal due to the rocks, concrete, curbs, sticks, and other debris and obstacles my mower encounters.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, keefus and 1 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 3,009 Posts
    kbeaag, Are your wheels set too low?
    rtgt, keefus, Old Cajun and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    kbeaag, Are your wheels set too low?
    or, is the grass being cut too high??
    keefus and Old Cajun like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    As of this evening, the bracket has been fabricated and painted. I had to re-align and adapt another the way the original pin/bolt was used.
    When I install it tomorrow and make a test drive/mow to determine if I'm successful or not on preventing grass wrapping around the anti-scalp wheel axle.

I never let the grass get any higher than three inches. Although, I figured that is where the problem occurs...tall grass that hit the front of the anti-scalp wheels.

The anti-scalp wheels are located in the top hole in the bracket...And I mow my seven acres with the deck on 2-1/2" setting.

For those that may or may not have this problem of grass getting wrapped around these wheels, I have no problem with grass on the outer...right and left side anti-scalp wheels with grass. At first I thought it was the "spacing" between the two wheels that caused the problem, but, I added couple flat washers to fill the space and that didn't stop the grass wrapping.

9. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 3,009 Posts
    For the record, I had the same problem with the Toro ZMaster we had and only with the front center rollers. Got so bad once that I had a real hard time removing the little axle to get the rollers off.
    rtgt and Old Cajun like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    As of this evening, the bracket has been fabricated and painted. I had to re-align and adapt another the way the original pin/bolt was used.
    When I install it tomorrow and make a test drive/mow to determine if I'm successful or not on preventing grass wrapping around the anti-scalp wheel axle.

I never let the grass get any higher than three inches. Although, I figured that is where the problem occurs...tall grass that hit the front of the anti-scalp wheels.

The anti-scalp wheels are located in the top hole in the bracket...And I mow my seven acres with the deck on 2-1/2" setting.

For those that may or may not have this problem of grass getting wrapped around these wheels, I have no problem with grass on the outer...right and left side anti-scalp wheels with grass. At first I thought it was the "spacing" between the two wheels that caused the problem, but, I added couple flat washers to fill the space and that didn't stop the grass wrapping.
    So you are only having a problem with the wheels in the center of the deck?

The center wheels on the front of my X540's 54" deck are not adjustable. They are also flatter and wider than what you have. More like a skateboard wheel only wider. Just went out and checked them. Both spin freely and don't have any buildup.
    rtgt, keefus and Old Cajun like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I would say that most Ztrak owners don't notice that the two (middle) anti-scalp wheels are wide and flatter than the two outer wheels from the factory. I don't think that makes any difference on how they work on the deck. I do know you cannot buy the wider-flatter wheels from a JD Dealer. They sell the narrow-cone shaped ones. In past years I could get the wider-fatter ones, but, no longer see them on any newer models.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    I would say that most Ztrak owners don't notice that the two (middle) anti-scalp wheels are wide and flatter than the two outer wheels from the factory. I don't think that makes any difference on how they work on the deck. I do know you cannot buy the wider-flatter wheels from a JD Dealer. They sell the narrow-cone shaped ones. In past years I could get the wider-fatter ones, but, no longer see them on any newer models.
    For what it is worth, the parts list shows the gauge wheels and anti-scalp wheels all with the same part number with no changes for older serial numbers.

TCU18744 Wheel
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast