Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: ZTR - Looking to buy

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks

ZTR - Looking to buy

So I have never owned a ZTR, I have used them but not owned. I have a 2032R with a 62" deck that for our 5 acres is getting tough because the trees I have to go around etc. makes the tractor difficult.

I am looking at $6200.00 or less to spend, why that number? Because I looked at a Bad Boy Maverick near me for that price

So I have 5 acres, mostly flat with trees and shrubs (plus the house) to get around, I have one minor slope.

I also thinking that I would go with a 54" and NOT a 62" because of some tight areas I have that the 62 is rough getting through.

I went and looked at Exmark, over the top pricing even for the Radius series being 7K for a 48"

Any thoughts, I really like the features on the Bad Boy Maverick

Each Drive train independent suspension
    Swing away access for maintenance
    EZ Ride Suspension
    Very Nice Seat
    7 guage deck
    Electric deck lift

Only option I would need to add is a foot pedal for those over stump or rock moments.

Since I have not researched the JD line up thought I would ask here as I do like green

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by testedone; 09-01-2017 at 07:11 AM.
    ~Rick~

Psalm 27:1

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the
    strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Tolerance And Apathy Are The Last Virtues Of A Dying Society

2016 4105 - FEL, iMatch, Land Pride RCR1272, 5" Taylor Rotary Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    If looking at JD, I don't think you are going to get into a Z9xx for $6200. I want to say a new Z915E is going to run about $7K or a little more. Of course that depends on the dealer a bit. If you are looking at the next series down, then you are moving away from the 7 Iron Deck. The Z540R has a 24HP Kawasaki but a standard residential yellow deck.

As for suspension, JD officially doesn't have any in any of their ZTraks. Just seat suspension if you get a high enough level machine. For instance the Z9xx series only has the suspension seat available as a factory option if you get a M or R. The least expensive M (Z930M) with the optional Suspension Seat is probably going to be right around $10K. The M machines are all foot operated deck lift. To get into hydrostatic deck lift then you have to step up to a R machine (Z930R), that is probably going to be in the $11-12K range. Probably closer to $12K once you upgrade the seat.

There is the optional front caster suspension. It is made by Z Glide Suspension. While some dealers may offer it as an option, it isn't an official "option" just that the dealer might be a reseller of it and will sell and install it for you.

If you are really looking for a Zero Turn with suspension, look at Ferris.I don't know their product line very well but have read a lot of positive things about how they do it. That if you want real suspension it is the only way to go. Everything else on the market doesn't really work that well. As I said I don't have one, and never really looked at them so I don't know their product line or price range to know if they have a lower end model, with suspension in the $6200 range.

I have a Z950R so I have the hytrostatic deck lift it is operated from a button on the control stick. It is nice but I mainly got it to make my life easier for when I go from running the just the deck to adding 50lbs or so for the PowerFlow head when collecting leaves. With the foot operated deck you are supposed to adjust the spring tension on the spring assist. Then there is functionality. Lets say you want to just lift it a bit as you crest a hill to keep from scalping the lawn. You can't really feather the deck up a bit. When you press the button it just starts raising until it gets up to the upper limit. It is either pressed or not pressed, it isn't a variable button where you can lift it a little bit. Also it only goes or stays up as long as you are holding the button. If holding the button it will only stay up for 30 seconds I think. I haven't timed it. If you want it to stay up you have to reach over to the control panel and turn the knob that is in the center of the HOC adjustment. This is the travel lock. Of course with practice, knowing there is a bit of delay, you can press and release the button as you pass the object or crest the hill, or tap it to keep it up just a bit. I would just say to make sure you understand how it operates. There are people here that prefer the foot operated one, the hydrostatic one is nice but just understand what you want.

You mentioned the optional foot pedal for the stump/rock moments. As far as I know there is no way to do this with the Z9xxR. You would be fighting a hydraulic cylinder. Not sure if it is in float mode. It is quicker to hit the deck lift button being it is on the left control stick. Though that would mean you keep your hand on the grip and near the button. I don't always do this but even at 12MPH it will stop pretty darn quick.

Another option to consider is the used market. It is tough though. The bigger commercial mowers were most likely commercially used where an operator runs them for 2-3 years pretty hard and trades them in. A co-worker went this route. He bought a JD 2025 a few years ago to maintain his 6 acre lot (with 1/4 mile gravel driveway). When he saw the price for a deck he started looking at other options. He has a coupld buddies that do commercial mowing services and run a few machines. One was trading in a couple eXmark mowers and he picked one up for about the same price as what the MMM would have cost him (with all the options) on his 2025. He doesn't cut all of his yard. Probably 1.5-2 acres but for him it has worked out great and he gets it done a lot faster. Of course his buddy told him which one to buy as one had proven to be more reliable than the others. I want to say he picked it up for about $2K. He has been really happy with the machine and partly why I went to a Zero Turn. While it is a higher hour machine, the commercial ones are build strong and once used in more of a residential mode where you are only doing your yard, it isn't like you are adding hours at that high of a rate. I average about 60hrs on a mower a year, 80-100hrs when it was my X585 that did mowing, FEL work and snow plowing/blowing. But we have a relatively short mowing season in Minnesota compared to other parts of the country.

Not sure if this answered any of your questions but it covers a few things with JD Ztraks and what to look for in one that you may get.
    keefus, Drifterbike and 69project like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot of good information and experience with JD. Would seem like to get some of the same features in JD with my budget ~$6200.00 I would have to get a new budget
    ~Rick~

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,097 Times in 3,021 Posts
    PJR832 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by testedone View Post
    Thanks a lot of good information and experience with JD. Would seem like to get some of the same features in JD with my budget ~$6200.00 I would have to get a new budget
    Yeah, I agree that if you want to go green you are going to have to bump your budget or see what is really important. For instance the electric/hydrostatic deck lift. A lot of people out there prefer the foot operated one over what the Z9xxR has. I don't know how useful this is but here is a rough break down of the differences between the B/E/M/R off the top of my head. Maybe you decide to look used or find a dealer with a demo unit. That is what I ended up buying. The cool thing about a demo unit is mine had 65 hrs on it I think. Before picking it up they went through everything on the unit and addressed any concerns under warranty. Then John Deere doesn't officially have a demo program. So this is just a unit that the Dealer had in stock that they used for demo/loaner work. Since it had never been registered, the day I bought it, is the day the warranty went into effect as a new sale as far as John Deere is concerned. Usually the fall is around when the dealers are looking to sell off demo units. They want to move them before the new ones come in. So I got a few thousand off a machine with a new 3 year 1500 hr warranty. I still payed way more than your budget of $6200 ($16K out the door for a Z950R with MCS and 6 suitcase weights, tax, delivery, setup fees) and I still qualified for 0% for 60mo that they were offering at the time because JD considered it a new sale. I was expecting to pay closer to $18K for the machine

The M models have the following over the E/B:
    Upgraded mower deck (7 Iron Pro) with a welded step (grip tape on the E/B) and additional gauge wheels though they can be added to the E/B
    Rear bumper weight
    Kawasaki Engine (I think all the M's have it but not sure about the one that is flex fuel - E85)
    Optional Mulch On Demand Deck (doesn't get good reviews though)
    Optional Tweels (not compatible if you are thinking about adding a MCS)
    Optional Full Suspension Seat
    Optional Propane conversion kits for all non EFI engines (though I have read that it is better with some engines than others)

The R models include everything that is standard or is still optional with the M plus:
    Higher ground speed (12MPH vs 10MPH)
    Cross-porting between the hydrostatic drives (a benefit when mowing hills in the fluid exchange keeps the transmissions cooler)
    Upgraded control sticks with PTO kill and deck lift buttons
    Hydrostatic deck lift (If that is a positive or negative depends on you)
    Foot operated parking brake (may or may not be a positive as it can be tricky to operate)
    Little bit longer warranty (1500hrs on the 3rd year vs 1200hrs) though not a factor in personal use as you will likely never hit that limit.

For what it is worth there are quite a few people here that went with a Z915E/B. I considered it but I wanted a bit more HP for running the MCS. I still bog it down a bit in the pine needles when running the MCS.
    Last edited by sennister; 09-01-2017 at 09:36 AM.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    So you went with a Toro? I never looked at those?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    ~Rick~

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by testedone View Post
    So you went with a Toro? I never looked at those?
    No, I am pretty sure he traded in a Toro on a Z915E.

Edit: No it was a Z915B.

The B and the E are really the same thing. It was a model year change. They (JD) usually used the E in the model number to indicate the lower trim level or Entry level. For instance with the tractors but then used B on the Zero Turn for some reason so they eventually standardized this to follow what they did in the tractors and Z915B became Z915E in I am pretty sure the 2017 model year. They do still list both of them on the web site but there is no difference as far as I know. Just a letter change to eliminate confusion. Eventually...
    Last edited by sennister; 09-01-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    Gizmo2 and PJR832 like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    OK , understood

Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    ~Rick~

11. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,097 Times in 3,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post

Edit: No it was a Z915B.

The B and the E are really the same thing. It was a model year change. They (JD) usually used the E in the model number to indicate the lower trim level or Entry level. For instance with the tractors but then used B on the Zero Turn for some reason so they eventually standardized this to follow what they did in the tractors and Z915B became Z915E in I am pretty sure the 2017 model year. They do still list both of them on the web site but there is no difference as far as I know. Just a letter change to eliminate confusion. Eventually...
    Correct
    PJR832 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #10
    JKR
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 AM
    Thanks
    When I was looking for a Zero turn mower. I looked at a JD also. But the price they wanted it didn't have a suspension seat or easy blade adjustment.
    I looked a few difference brands and ended up with a Scag Tiger Cat II. It was low, wide and stable enough for mowing hills.
    The suspension seat works very good. With a 29hp Fuel ejected motor it cut though high over grown grass easy.
    But the price will set you back 10K.
    Gizmo2 and PJR832 like this.
    3033R, HST, 3SVC, 60" heavy bucket with replaceable blade, H165 loader, Trans and engine heater, 60" tow behind mower.
    hydraulic top link, Line kit, 72" hydraulic power angle plow, JD pallet forks, 60" box blade, 60" scraper,
    72" rear rake, Homemade rock bucket, Post hole digger.Piranha Tooth Bar, Ballast box, rear chains,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast