Those JD Zero Ztrak Mowers Pulley Covers---How to Remove Them.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Those JD Zero Ztrak Mowers Pulley Covers---How to Remove Them.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks

Those JD Zero Ztrak Mowers Pulley Covers---How to Remove Them.

Those John Deere Ztrak Commercial mower owners know how much a problem it is to remove the mower deck spindle covers. That little "circle key ring clip" is a pain when you are trying to clean the grass , etc for under them. When I bought my Z710A and after the first mowing I needed to remove them, I had to take a needle nose pliers to remove the wire clips, and that probably taken at lease ten minutes to do so.

Well, I have remedy that problem and no longer carry any tools to remove the spindle covers. It takes less than two seconds to remove the Quick Release push/pull clips. When I get my Quick Release 3/16" dia. 1-1/4" long Ball-Lock pins I ordered today, I will make the change over from the push-pull clips I have shown here in the photos. All these items....chrome Eye Clips, Cable Connectors, and the snap in clips all less than $9.00 from Ace Hardware.
    I'm using 3/16" dia Ball-Lock pins, as that is the smallest I could locate. Besides, the hole in the mower flange doesn't have enough space to make it a 1/4" hole.

Here are some photos...

These are the Quick Release 3/16" dia. 1-1/4" long Ball-Lock Pins I will install when I receive them.

Last edited by kbeaag; 09-02-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    pcabe5, MattF, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kbeaag For This Useful Post:

Old Cajun (09-02-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,011 Posts
    I like both of your ideas on getting rid of the little circle key ring clips.

Hate those little key rings, especially when cleaning up at night after mowing.

I have some small eye clips and 3/16" small ball lock clips.

NOTE: Went try and the 3/16" ball lock clips are too large to work, but the push/pull clips work great and are easier than
    fighting the key ring clip.
    DRobinson, pcabe5 and flyweight like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    The small hole in the mower deck flange that holds the spindle covers where the "circle key ring" clips to is about 1/8" dia. I took a 3/16" drill bit and made it larger for the 3/16" Ball-Lock pins. Don't make the hole any larger than 3/16" as the ball-lock pin won't work and hold the pin.
    flyweight and Old Cajun like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 03:12 AM
    Thanks
    Perhaps this won't be received too well (because of safety and what not) but mine "fell" off 250 hours ago and I have no issues with the covers staying on. I mow 6-8 acres plus and nearly a mile of rough field edges.
    Last edited by addy; 09-02-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    flyweight and Old Cajun like this.
    2016 5085E
    2014 318e
    2009 997
    1958 Fordson Dexta

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by addy View Post
    Perhaps this won't be received too well (because of safety and what not) but mine "fell" off 250 hours ago and I have no issues with the covers staying on. I mow 6-8 acres plus and nearly a mile of rough field edges.
    Well and good, but wonder how much Deere would want for one of them little black pie plate like pieces of plastic if one would
    come off and you trash it?

The push/pull pins seem to be a slick and quick solution to me.
    DRobinson, pcabe5 and flyweight like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by addy View Post

There is "zero" effect with anything regarding a safety issue here. The cable/push pin is nothing more than a device to speed up removing the spindle covers when the owner needs to clean out from under them. If you mow the acres as you mentioned, you have grass under those covers. And if you were a boy scout and they showed you how to start a fire with a piece of twine and a stick to ignite some grass and sticks, which these spindle covers holding grass has the same effect if you get my driff. My neighbor can attest to that when he had grass to ignite from the belt and spindle turning at the speed with grass so packed under the spindle pulleys.

I'm sure the JD dealer may agree they sell a few "spindle plastic pie plates", and at a modest price as Old Cajun mentioned.
    pcabe5 and Old Cajun like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old cajun View Post
    well and good, but wonder how much deere would want for one of them little black pie plate like pieces of plastic if one would
    come off and you trash it?
    tcu23581 $7.66
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Those key-ring types are a pain. Try removing them with gloves on? We used to remove them on our crane ATB switches; and replace them with the "Hair-Pin" type.

The pulley cover on my previous Z737 were bolted on and the day I bought it, I removed them. Store them in my shop cabinet and I reinstalled them the day I sold it. I removed them from my Z445 also and have them stored, waiting to be installed the day I sell it.

Note: Before being scolded by the safety police, I realize it's a safety and liability issue, but my wife and myself are the only persons allowed on and near my mower. I've done this to every mowed I've owned. It makes it so much easier to clean the top of the deck.

Last weekend, a friend asked to borrow my Z to mow his overgrown back yard. I refused to loan it to him, and said I'd mow it for him. That'll work.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 2 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flyweight View Post
    Those key-ring types are a pain. Try removing them with gloves on? We used to remove them on our crane ATB switches; and replace them with the "Hair-Pin" type.

Note: Before being scolded by the safety police, I realize it's a safety and liability issue, but my wife and myself are the only persons allowed on and near my mower. I've done this to every mowed I've owned. It makes it so much easier to clean the top of the deck.:

There are two here that has mentioned a "safety issue" matter with my device I've made to speed up the removal on the spindle covers on JD Ztrak mowers.
    Number 1. Tell me where the "lack" of safety is here? The device is basically the same has the circle key ring clips that John Deere installed. The "push/pull clips" I have used here snaps in the same flange with hole and if you have or go buy one, try it out and see how much arm/hand/finger pressure is required to get it attached. And if it should ever come loose, the pin and cable just "hangs" and will not become a hazard to any owner body parts... no mower deck blades, belts, or any other moving object will come involved. If the spindle cover comes loose from their flanges, I'm sure it will go flying somewhere, or comes in contact with the deck belts, and that will or can happen also with the circle key ring clips.
    Old Cajun likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,342 Times in 2,611 Posts
    I don't think either is saying your method is "unsafe" at all. I believe they are referring to having no covers installed at all.

Besides, even if they were saying it was unsafe, you are a grown adult and can make decisions for yourself on whether or not something is safe or not. I may point something out to someone, but don't get my feeling hurt if they ignore it or downplay it. I and others feel it's our friendly duty to help others.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast