Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Questions on 4wd Front mount mowers

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:34 AM
    Thanks

Questions on 4wd Front mount mowers

I'm currently contemplating on upgrading my mower from a Z-turn to a front mount 4wd diesel mower. One of the main thoughts behind this is due to the added versatility of the mower by being able to run other implements.

I been surfing the used tractor sites at the used JD 1145 and 1445 (believe these are the only 4wd models) that are in my price range.

Couple questions:

Would a 59" front mount blower off a 4310 which I have mount to one of these with minimal adaptation.

Anybody know the PTO speed? I been looking at getting a small belt rake for hay that I could attach to the front of the mower to rake/ted hay with.

How durable are these mowers for unfinished type mowing. I am looking at opening up some places for additional horse pasture where it would be cutting tall grass and even some shrubbery. I would use my bush hog but the majority of this is on some sort of grade. The flat stuff is dedicated for my mini hay operation.

When I worked landscape in my younger years we had a small Toro 18hp 52" front mount that I actually preferred over the Z turns we had because it was so good at getting under trees with low lying branches. I would think these larger diesel models would be like having tractor power with a low center of gravity but I could be wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    IMHO,, that type machine is intended for one task,,
    running the dedicated mower.

The give away is the transmission,, it is only one speed.

You need at least two speeds to do "tractor" stuff.

I was mowing with my JD 4105 and 72" RFM today,,
    that is a great system.

I may never mow with a side discharge mower again,,
    the rear discharge, with hanging chains mulches better than any mower I have EVER seen.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    I know I’ve seen F935 with 59” blowers on them. It can probably be done.

I have a F525 and JD made a 38” blower for it. I don’t think I’d use one on it though.

Been thinking about trading my F525 in for a F725 or F935 with a 60” deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Super55 View Post
    I'm currently contemplating on upgrading my mower from a Z-turn to a front mount 4wd diesel mower. One of the main thoughts behind this is due to the added versatility of the mower by being able to run other implements.

I been surfing the used tractor sites at the used JD 1145 and 1445 (believe these are the only 4wd models) that are in my price range.

Couple questions:

Would a 59" front mount blower off a 4310 which I have mount to one of these with minimal adaptation.

Anybody know the PTO speed? I been looking at getting a small belt rake for hay that I could attach to the front of the mower to rake/ted hay with.

How durable are these mowers for unfinished type mowing. I am looking at opening up some places for additional horse pasture where it would be cutting tall grass and even some shrubbery. I would use my bush hog but the majority of this is on some sort of grade. The flat stuff is dedicated for my mini hay operation.

When I worked landscape in my younger years we had a small Toro 18hp 52" front mount that I actually preferred over the Z turns we had because it was so good at getting under trees with low lying branches. I would think these larger diesel models would be like having tractor power with a low center of gravity but I could be wrong.
    How about one of them Ventracks? Not a Deere but sounds like what you are looking for.
    Diesel
    4X4
    Front and rear dual wheels. Good for major slopes.
    Versatile front attachments.
    ejb69 likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I've watched Ventrac videos on youtube and then went and did a quick search for your used ones but the price quickly made them a no go.

The grades I'm working with aren't overly steep and would probably be just fine with another Z-turn with a larger motor but Z-turns have real limitations as to deck height and the ride on uneven terrain is pretty brutal.

Seen a few videos where some of these guys are using front mounts for mowing vineyards. The front mounts with automatic 4wd assist are like billy goats on some of the stuff they were able to climb. Plus they have a top speed of 12 mph. Thats really moving along.

They make front mount rear discharge decks as well as flail mowers for these so I would think they would be up to the larger tasks and not just greens keeping.

The reason I want to remove the blower from my 4310 and move it to a F-mower is because the loader gets used as much in the winter as the blower does. Switching those implements back and forth is kind of a hassle to the point that this spring I went and bought a 3-point snowblower. I doubt the front mount will even get put on this year because of the need for the loader to move hay bales.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Thanks
    2000 rpm pto.

I had an f911. A 22hp Kawasaki 2wd. The 59 blower would tectonically bolt up to the arms and gearbox on a 47. I needed rear weight. I did not have the hydraulic lift wheel plumbed. I had the 6 maximum rear weights and did lots of endo's backing up. 2 suitcase weights on the floor made it ok with my 150. About 200 more on the rear made it reasonable. The rear was so light 4wd would not have helped outside its natural weight increase. They are awesome but go 47 or 54quick hitch for weight concerns.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post
    I know I’ve seen F935 with 59” blowers on them. It can probably be done.

I have a F525 and JD made a 38” blower for it. I don’t think I’d use one on it though.

Been thinking about trading my F525 in for a F725 or F935 with a 60” deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That's a whole different world.

I'll never get another f5xx I'll happily get a f9xx or f11xx

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    I mowed for year 5+years a commercial contract doing rural areas around radio towers with a F932(2wd predecessor to an 1145). The machine held up very well to the rough conditions so no worries there. I had a 72" deck on it and even though it was 2wd it was very stable on a side hill, way better than my Z-turn and slightly better than my 2720 with 72"MMM and the wheels set wide.

Front output on one of these units is about 2300RPM in a counter clockwise direction. Front output on my 2720 tractor is 2100RPM. Close enough that I think it would be fine but you'd have to check the direction. However the output on my F932 is offset to the drivers side whereas on my 2720 tractor is offset to the right. I believe the the later F series mowers moved the PTO to a more central location in the later models but I don't know if that was with the 1100 series or 1400 series.

They do make a blower attachment for these mowers but any attachment for an F series mower is expensive and rare.
    rydplrs likes this.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clayh View Post
    I mowed for year 5+years a commercial contract doing rural areas around radio towers with a F932(2wd predecessor to an 1145). The machine held up very well to the rough conditions so no worries there. I had a 72" deck on it and even though it was 2wd it was very stable on a side hill, way better than my Z-turn and slightly better than my 2720 with 72"MMM and the wheels set wide.

Front output on one of these units is about 2300RPM in a counter clockwise direction. Front output on my 2720 tractor is 2100RPM. Close enough that I think it would be fine but you'd have to check the direction. However the output on my F932 is offset to the drivers side whereas on my 2720 tractor is offset to the right. I believe the the later F series mowers moved the PTO to a more central location in the later models but I don't know if that was with the 1100 series or 1400 series.

They do make a blower attachment for these mowers but any attachment for an F series mower is expensive and rare.
    I called it a 2000 rpm pto because the gear ratio and entire gearbox on the blower is the same as for 420/430 tractor versions which are considered 2000 rpm. f911 f935 and f1145 attachments show as interchangeable with no footnotes in pc2797. on a 420/430 the gearbox is not at the same rotational angle as a bower for F machines, but the holes are there to bolt them up either way.

I had 2 59 blowers, and a 47 all in pieces so I had done a ton of research to be sure they could be put together mix and match, in the end the weight of a 59 blower kept me from doing it.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies on the front PTO speed. The PTO driven hayrake I was thinking about possibly fabricating runs off 540. If the front was a 1000 rpm it might be able to handle it but 2100 rpm is just way too fast. As for converting the 59" front snowblower that really doesn't sound feasible either. The good thing that will lead to some savings because I won't have to shop for a front mount mower with a cab.

I know they aren't as popular as the Z mowers but the time I spent on one in my younger years seems to keep leading me back to getting one. They just don't seem to skid/slide on slopes as much as zero turns and for mowing ditches having the deck in front and able to float up the bank would save me a ton of string trimming. Plus I really like the idea of having a PTO shaft driving the deck. Seems like every time I take my Z-turn into the deep stuff I'm either smoking or breaking a belt.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast