• 2 Post By kbeaag
  • 1 Post By ISPTrooper

Thread: Extending Rear Hubs on Ztrak..If Possible

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks

Extending Rear Hubs on Ztrak..If Possible

Is there a sure way to extend the rear hubs on JD Ztrak mowers? I ask this question as I'm thinking about extending my tires about two inches on each side. The reason I'm thinking this, my neighbor has a big Country Clipper that he has had the rear wheel extended to mow his ditch. We both join property and our ditches are about 30-40% incline. He couldn't mow his ditch until he extended the tires out 2 inches.
    My ditch is 660' one side of the ditch.

I might search the golf cart sites to see if they have a 2" adapter with four bolts that would work. Otherwise I may have to make my own out of 2" aluminum material. The bolt pattern on the Z710A is 4" across, and 2-3/4" stud to stud. Appears to be about 2-1/2" bore (center hole).

NOTE: BTW: I find no evidence of any Tuff Torq #78Q0684190 transmission(s) leaking anywhere.

Last edited by kbeaag; 09-04-2017 at 06:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    These are 4 x 4- 2" aluminum 1/2-20 thread EZGO golf cart wheel spacers that I will install on the Z710Z to extend the tires out 2" from their present setting so I can mow the 660' ditch. I think this will be enough (wider) to mow the ditch easier than the factory width. Will follow-up when they arrive and mow to see if they work.

Gizmo2 and GreenBlood like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Standing Wide and Handsome!

Installed the 2" wide 4" x 4" wheel spacers today. This sets the track two inches wider per side for mowing my ditch... That is if it works. If not, back to the drawing boards.

Last edited by kbeaag; 09-07-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    Gizmo2, flyweight, jdmich and 3 others like this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kbeaag For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (09-07-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Those spacers make you rear look wide.
    flyweight and jdmich like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    I wonder how they would work on my Tweels? I could definitely use them around the pond and ditches.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ISPTrooper View Post
    I wonder how they would work on my Tweels? I could definitely use them around the pond and ditches.

I mowed last Friday on the 660' (1320' two sides) and all went very well with no tires or mower sliding as some have mentioned. Of course, I didn't mow with the ditch before the wheel extensions, so, I really couldn't compare. With so many comments and YouTube videos out on how these ZTRs having trouble mowing inclines (ditches/ pond banks), I feel there's not that much different mowing with a regular lawn tractor.
    Superglidesport and flyweight like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    I mowed last Friday on the 660' (1320' two sides) and all went very well with no tires or mower sliding as some have mentioned. Of course, I didn't mow with the ditch before the wheel extensions, so, I really couldn't compare. With so many comments and YouTube videos out on how these ZTRs having trouble mowing inclines (ditches/ pond banks), I feel there's not that much different mowing with a regular lawn tractor.
    True, but the mower I use around those areas is an X590, so it has quite the advantage over my Z950R. I can feel the rear end start to slide around the pond on the 950. Not even close on the 590 with the rear locked.
    flyweight likes this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I had been mowing the ditch...last 18 years with my '99 JD 345 with 54" deck and never had any trouble with the tractor turning over. Although, many times I had to shift my rear to the higher side of the seat to prevent such happening.

It may be the tires...tread design on these ZTRs that causes the sliding. Although, both my Z710A and JD 345 seems to have the same tread pattern. Your Z950 with the Tweels may work very well on inclines... this is if their have a different tread design than the X590 tires.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements