Another small repair job. Bad Boy mower.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Another small repair job. Bad Boy mower.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,229 Posts

Another small repair job. Bad Boy mower.

Not long after I signed off from this fabulous site this morning, I got a call from a friend about his Zero Turn. It's a Bad Boy brand with a little over 700 hr. He told me it was making a chirping sound while the engine is running; and leaks oil onto the frame. He and his son replaced the right side head gasket at ~300 hr.
    He asked if I'd work on it and I told him, "no problem - load the wagon". So, I hook up my utility trailer and drove to his house to pick it up. After I got home, I unloaded it and parked it in my shop. I removed the right head and found the head gasket was blown.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3431.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	501794

When I was removing the head, the two lower head bolts were not very tight. I barely used any force while removing. The two upper bolts were tight as a frog's anus. Hope I can say that..... I have no idea why the gasket failed the first time, but I have a suspicion, on the second go 'round, they may not have torqued the bolts to specs.

Anyway, the head doesn't seem to be bad. I cleaned the head surface and check for any warpness. In an area near the damaged gasket, it barely has .004 clearance under the straight-edge. I resurfaced the head with a flat file and that trued it up. I checked the cylinder head surface also and it was found to be true.

Name:	IMG_3436.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	501778

This thing must have been leaking for a while. Can you believe I didn't pressure wash this thing before working on it. Working on equipment on a job-site is one thing. I have no choice but to work on it as is(clean, or dirty). But, this thing was here in my shop. I should not have even posted this pic. I will however, give it a good bath before I return it.

Name:	IMG_3426.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	501786

I went to the local Bad Boy dealer who is 5 miles from me. They sell X-Mark, Bad Boy and Echo products. They had the gaskets I needed in stock. I'll be replacing the four head bolts, but they had none in stock. They ordered them and should arrive tomorrow.

---to be
    continued---
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,304 Posts
    What for engine Michael?

I always wondered about Bad Boy. I think there are 2 versions - a commercial and consumer.

I remember some time back on the lawnsite forum they seemed to be quite popular. Even had a CAT diesel option in one. But then I see them lined up in front of Tractor Supply with a $xx99 price tag. I never looked that close at any but wasn’t impressed with a couple glances.

Was wondering your overall opinion on the machine since you have one apart in your shop.
    rydplrs, JKR, flyweight and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    What engine Michael?
    This version(23 Pro) has the 23 hp. B&S engine. The engine looks very crude, cheaply made.

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I always wondered about Bad Boy. I think there are 2 versions - a commercial and consumer.

I remember some time back on the lawnsite forum they seemed to be quite popular. Even had a CAT diesel option in one. But then I see them lined up in front of Tractor Supply with a $xx99 price tag. I never looked that close at any but wasn’t impressed with a couple glances.

Was wondering your overall opinion on the machine since you have one apart in your shop.
    This one must be a Consumer/Residential.
    I don't know that much about Bad Boy mowers, but I can't see this one being a Professional mower.

Cons:

• Seat is mounted too high.
    • Seat uncomfortable.
    • No armrest.
    • Travel levers have no resistance(floppy).
    • Insufficient leg-room.
    • Narrow stance(width).
    • 48" deck too narrow for my use.
    • Wheel base too short.

Pros:

• I haven't found any features that comes close to my residential JD Z445

The owner's son runs a Commercial Lawn and Landscape company. They use X-mark exclusively. I have no Idea why he bought this Bad Boy. He told me he regrets it. He said he'd buy a John Deere, but doesn't like the dealer. He's had problems in the past, but the general manager has long been gone. I do know the attitude and atmosphere of the dealership had changed for the better.

Mrs.FW was a Parts Manager there when we first moved here(1994). That was when the other manager ran it. She didn't stay a year, she had enough of promises gone by the wind. But, that's another story.

I'm trying to get him to buy JD, but he may go X-Mark. If JD would lower the quality of the residential mowers, I'd be looking hard at x-Mark.
    Michael

1984 JD 750 Tractor

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flyweight For This Useful Post:

coaltrain (12-05-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:10 PM
    Thanks
    With that much crud in the fins it may be simply a thermal failure.

I would probably go with a torque, run, cool, retorque method for insurance if everything was flat before and you trust they torqued it the first time.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 3 others like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,304 Posts
    Thanks Michael!

When thinking of possibly getting myself a dedicated mower, I am in such a quandary not having a Deere dealer. I’ve been mowing for 45 some years now - a lot of that commercially - and have had nothing but Deere equipment. It has become partially just creature of habit to buy Deere.

That’s why I asked about the Bad Boy. As time goes on I may need to find a machine - and having a servicing dealer relatively close by is an important factor. But the oniy brands with that criterea are consumer type models like the one you are working on.

OK - enough of that - back to your repair thread!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Man, air had a fight on it's hands to get to the cooling fins on that one cylinder.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 4 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 04:40 PM
    Thanks
    He may have torqued them properly the first time but failed to follow up on the re-torque them after running it a bit. Or may have had dirt under the gasket when he installed it.
    flyweight and Old Cajun like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

11. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Any updates on this?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    With that much crud in the fins it may be simply a thermal failure. I would probably go with a torque, run, cool, retorque method for insurance if everything was flat before and you trust they torqued it the first time.
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Man, air had a fight on it's hands to get to the cooling fins on that one cylinder.
    Yes, some of the cooling fins were plugged solid. I didn't see any signs of damage to the cylinder walls. In fact, I was surprised to see it in very good condition. Cleaned out the cooling fins as best I could. Wish I had a glass-bead cabinet. I could have done a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    He may have torqued them properly the first time but failed to follow up on the re-torque them after running it a bit. Or may have had dirt under the gasket when he installed it.
    Anything is Possible.
    pcabe5, rydplrs, JKR and 1 others like this.
    Michael

1984 JD 750 Tractor

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Any updates on this?
    Yes.
    As for why all the oil had collected over time, I found the tab(see photo) on the exhaust gasket had somehow inadvertently gotten caught between the valve cover gasket and the gasket mating surface. I think this led to a very slow oil leak which had wicked over time to the cooling fins.

Name:	3_842658.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	508953
    Also, in the photo of the engine below, the two small bolts retaining the crank-case vent(top of valve cover/black hose) were loose, leading to another oil leak.

I retoured the head bolts and installed the engine guard this morning. I called my buddy and told him it was complete; and said I'd be delivering it to him today. He said his trailer was hitched to his truck and was on his way to get it. That meant I didn't have to unload my trailer to do so.

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	508961

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	508969

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	508985

The work bay in my shop is now empty.
    Michael

1984 JD 750 Tractor

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast