Remove Battery on Z710A for the Winter.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Remove Battery on Z710A for the Winter.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks

Remove Battery on Z710A for the Winter.

Just some thought here on if I should remove the battery in my Z710A. I still have the original factory John Deere battery in the Z710A. I've never removed it during the winters the past 4 years. Due it's age.. I think it may be subject to winter stress for the age, and safe to remove it and store it in a warner area of the home.

Wouldn't hurt I suppose.!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    Our Z950R is brand new, but I still removed it and put it on a tender for the time being. I’ve started it once already.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    Just some thought here on if I should remove the battery in my Z710A. I still have the original factory John Deere battery in the Z710A. I've never removed it during the winters the past 4 years. Due it's age.. I think it may be subject to winter stress for the age, and safe to remove it and store it in a warner area of the home.

Wouldn't hurt I suppose.!
    Depends on how cold your mowers storage area is. If it goes well below freezing might be worth pulling it out. Keeping it fully charged is a better bet. Batteries actually discharge faster in warm temperatures. Much like a cat you are not always doing the battery a favor by bringing it inside.

Summer heat is what usually damages your battery. Then winter temperature just finishes it off.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Depends on how cold your mowers storage area is. If it goes well below freezing might be worth pulling it out. Keeping it fully charged is a better bet. Batteries actually discharge faster in warm temperatures. Much like a cat you are not always doing the battery a favor by bringing it inside.

Summer heat is what usually damages your battery. Then winter temperature just finishes it off.

Now that is a new twist on something I've never heard about a battery...warmer weather is more damaging. When it's always been that batteries goes bad during the winter.

My 36' x 36' garage is well insulated to the tune it's probably 10 degrees warmer inside than outside during the winter. I have a Diehard #71239 Platinum Maintainer connected to the battery now, and I've heard these maintainers are not always good for older batteries.
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 3,009 Posts
    I leave the battery in our Z915B. I also start the mower ~ once a month.
    flyweight likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    Now that is a new twist on something I've never heard about a battery...warmer weather is more damaging. When it's always been that batteries goes bad during the winter.

My 36' x 36' garage is well insulated to the tune it's probably 10 degrees warmer inside than outside during the winter. I have a Diehard #71239 Platinum Maintainer connected to the battery now, and I've heard these maintainers are not always good for older batteries.
    I've heard similar information. I think it's safe to say that either extreme (hot/cold) is hard on a battery. Unfortunately we all don't live where it is 70 degrees year round. :-) My 2720 battery suffered sudden death towards the end of summer when it was still warm out. I always kept a solar battery tender on it.

My shed is unheated and I leave my X500 in the mower over winter. I do try to run it now and then. Since I don't have electricity in the shed I use a Battery Tender 10W solar maintainer. It works well on the 2720 battery. I should probably just alternate it every week or so between the X500 and 2720.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I leave the battery in our Z915B. I also start the mower ~ once a month.
    I do the same. It is important to let the engine warm up each time you start it to evaporate the condensation that forms inside the engine.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Yes summer heat is usually the killer. When the temperature turns cold the battery needs power reserves it no longer can supply. The battery's self discharge rate rises with the temperature.

Leaving the battery in generally doesn't hurt. Unless you have a problem. Like the plastic case cracks from freezing or the charger goes haywire. The plastic case can also be damaged from severe overcharging.

A fully charged battery is less likely to freeze. A discharged/dead battery will freeze easily. I'm taking about the acid inside.

That being said. I normally leave the battery in my tractor. It usually gets used year round weather permitting. (Dry grass growing or snow falling) I put a tender on about once a month if I'm not using it. Once the light is green it is time to come off. This was I don't come back to find any surprises. This is why it's worthwhile buying a good tender that shuts down when done. However it is no guarantee that you will never have a problem.

Now if the battery has a constant draw from like a radio or clock charge it more often. This is usually not a problem with lawn mowers.

Test or maintenance starting is hard on equipment for various reasons. Resist the temptation to start it for no reason. If it's time to put it to work have at it. Otherwise it is better to just let it sit.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,305 Posts
    The owner's manual for my generator says for long term storage to remove the battery and put it on a maintainer or tender. What's the difference of leaving it installed and on a tender (which is what I do). But to be fair the generator does get run at least once every 60 days.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Went out today and started the Z710A. It cranked about 10 seconds and I stopped. Waited a few seconds to try once more. It started on the third try. It hadn't been started in two months.

This sure put the wear on the starter, and I often thought about removing the factory fuel pump and install a 12 volt electric one. I'm going to get on the Internet and search for a 12 volt one and just may install one for that reason...easy fast starting.

Will keep all of you informed on what I come up with. I'm use to fuel injection as on the automobiles. A lawn tractor should have the same.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast