Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Installing Engine Oil Cooler on JD Z710A

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks

Installing Engine Oil Cooler on JD Z710A

My Z710A with the 23 HP Kohler didn't come with a oil cooler. Some of those Z700, Z800, and Z900 series Ztraks came with oil coolers.
    So, this is a winter project for now, as I have decided to install a John Deere/Kohler oil cooler on my engine. Here is a picture of the oil cooler less the sandwich adapter. I have bought a different adapter for the cooler. I will not be connecting it to the top engine housing as the factory ones. Instead, I will form a bracket to install it some three inches on the right side of the engine bay with a 4' x 4" 12 volt fan to push the air into the cooler fins.
    Now, the big 64 thousand dollar question. How much engine oil should I add to the crankcase? It appears to me the oil cooler probably will hold about 1/2 pint or less. With this extra oil in the crankcase and it will show more on the dipstick. The user manual doesn't state anything about this on engines that have the factory oil cooler installed.

Last edited by kbeaag; 12-17-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    pcabe5 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about the amount. Once it reaches full, you're done.

Personally I would add the cooler, change the oil and filter, add the usual back in, start the engine to fully circulate the oil and get an accurate level. Top off as needed. Done.

If it drains down over time, meh, so what? When you start it back up, it'll fill everything back to where it should be.
    pcabe5 and flyweight like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

flyweight (12-17-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post

Personally I would add the cooler, change the oil and filter, add the usual back in, start the engine to fully circulate the oil and get an accurate level. Top off as needed. Done.

If it drains down over time, meh, so what? When you start it back up, it'll fill everything back to where it should be.

I agree with what you have said. However, the oil cooler takes the extra amount of oil with the engine running, meaning less oil in the crankcase. Did John Deere with the oil coolers have a different dipstick to show the extra oil? When I get it all installed I will add the extra oil and see what happens to the dipstick measurement.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    I agree with what you have said. However, the oil cooler takes the extra amount of oil with the engine running, meaning less oil in the crankcase. Did John Deere with the oil coolers have a different dipstick to show the extra oil? When I get it all installed I will add the extra oil and see what happens to the dipstick measurement.
    That's why I said to check and top it off right after you shut it down. It won't drain down instantly. Trust me.
    pcabe5 and flyweight like this.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,228 Posts

That's why I said to check and top it off right after you shut it down. It won't drain down instantly. Trust me.
    I agree with Jason.

kbeaag, you may be overthinking the situation. Oil checked COLD, at the full mark will be happy while running.
    pcabe5 and dieselshadow like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    The factory John Deere/Kohler oil cooler is a 4" x 4" x 3/4" size, and my guess it is not large enough to really make a difference in cooling the oil.
    I would like to install one about 6" x 6"x1" size and install a larger fan to cool the oil. In searching the Internet the majority of oil coolers are way too large...mostly above 11" x 11" size. Some transmission coolers are smaller, but, not that I can locate for the perfect fit to the tractor.
    I'll keep searching.

Some may be thinking why install a oil cooler now. Well, here is my reason. I have a oil pressure gauge on the Z710A and during the hot summer days here, the temp near 100 degrees and mowing the heat of the engine is most important. My gauge usually registers at 46 psi, but, after several hours of mowing it get up to 55-60 psi on the gauge. That would cllick on ones mind that the oil is very hot and expanding...maybe boiling. Or it may signal something else triggers it to rise.

Last edited by kbeaag; 12-17-2017 at 12:48 PM.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,010 Posts
    The factory John Deere/Kohler oil cooler is a 4" x 4" x 3/4" size, and my guess it is not large enough to really make a difference in cooling the oil.
    I would like to install one about 6" x 6"x1" size and install a larger fan to cool the oil. In searching the Internet the majority of oil coolers are way too large...mostly above 11" x 11" size. Some transmission coolers are smaller, but, not that I can locate for the perfect fit to the tractor.
    I'll keep searching.

Some may be thinking why install a oil cooler now. Well, here is my reason. I have a oil pressure gauge on the Z710A and during the hot summer days here, the temp near 100 degrees and mowing the heat of the engine is most important. My gauge usually registers at 46 psi, but, after several hours of mowing it get up to 55-60 psi on the gauge. That would cllick on ones mind that the oil is very hot and expanding...maybe boiling. Or it may signal something else triggers it to rise.
    Would think that the oil viscosity should decrease with increased temperature of running a couple of hours
    causing the oil pressure to decrease some.
    Oil flows more freely when less viscous decreasing pressure.
    Notice this on my old Farmall Cub with the oil gauge mounted on the oil filter canister, will drop 5 lbs. or so once
    at operating temp.

You seem to have the opposite happening.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I have a oil pressure gauge on the Z710A and during the hot summer days here, the temp near 100 degrees and mowing the heat of the engine is most important. My gauge usually registers at 46 psi, but, after several hours of mowing it get up to 55-60 psi on the gauge. That would cllick on ones mind that the oil is very hot and expanding...maybe boiling.
    Your oil isn't boiling, I can guarantee that. It takes some extreme temps to do that. Pressure rising on an operating and hot engine? Doubtful. More than likely you have an indication issue. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Would think that the oil viscosity should decrease with increased temperature of running a couple of hours
    causing the oil pressure to decrease some.
    Oil flows more freely when less viscous decreasing pressure.
    Notice this on my old Farmall Cub with the oil gauge mounted on the oil filter canister, will drop 5 lbs. or so once
    at operating temp.

You seem to have the opposite happening.
    OC is 100% correct. Rising temps equals lower viscosity equals lower pressure.

I've never seen oil pressure rise on a hotter engine than when cold. Unless you have an exotic oiling system or a variable oil pump like some cars do. I doubt your oil cooled engine has that technology.

Again, my guess is you have an indication issue. Can you verify with a mechanical gauge?

Adding an oil cooler won't hurt your engine, only help prolong the oil's life and therefore your engine. It's a great addition to any engine, especially an air cooled one as they tend to run hotter than liquid cooled ones.
    pcabe5 and Old Cajun like this.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

flyweight (12-18-2017)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm not too concerned about the higher PSI on the oil pressure, as I'm safe to say it's better than having it to drop during the engine operations. When I first encountered this, I removed the gauge and sensor and returned them to the seller, so sent me a replacement. That didn't change anything...same results on PSI. So, I switch to another oil sensor I had here. No change. These Faris gauges are very reliable. So I discount they are the culprit on the higher PSI reading.

When I get the oil cooler install, will see if anything changes.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    If you are running a multi grade oil like 10W30. It's designed to thicken up from engine heat. Transforming from a 10 to a 30 weight thickness.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast