• 8 Post By givitout
  • 3 Post By ISPTrooper

Thread: Don't Buy The JD "ZGLIDE Suspension System"

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Thanks

Don't Buy The JD "ZGLIDE Suspension System"

Made a trip to my local JD dealer today to pick up Oil, Filter, Air Filter, and Spark Plugs for my JD 345. While I was there I saw they had a Z920M on the floor with the "ZGlide Suspension forks. I ask the salesman so was tagging behind me, guess he thought he may have had a sale. I ask him what was the advantages were having these $350.00 parts on the mower. He was honest to tell me...none. I agreed with him as I have watched a YouTube video on this and I might say he right. No.1 When the "Torison" type forks move when they hit a object and sway back to the rear, the mower deck drops the same time...making the mower to cut the grass shorter than the normal height of the deck setting. He said, I must have witness this happening. I told him any normal person with a IQ above 50 would see this was a problem.
    I told him to correct this from the grass being cut in many places, would be to lower the Anti-Scalp wheels all the way down so the mower rides on the ground and not as a hanger under the tractor. The salesman said that John Deere no longer will install this ZGlide on any Ztraks.
    Gizmo2 and Fozsey like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    Made a trip to my local JD dealer today to pick up Oil, Filter, Air Filter, and Spark Plugs for my JD 345. While I was there I saw they had a Z920M on the floor with the "ZGlide Suspension forks. I ask the salesman so was tagging behind me, guess he thought he may have had a sale. I ask him what was the advantages were having these $350.00 parts on the mower. He was honest to tell me...none. I agreed with him as I have watched a YouTube video on this and I might say he right. No.1 When the "Torison" type forks move when they hit a object and sway back to the rear, the mower deck drops the same time...making the mower to cut the grass shorter than the normal height of the deck setting. He said, I must have witness this happening. I told him any normal person with a IQ above 50 would see this was a problem.
    I told him to correct this from the grass being cut in many places, would be to lower the Anti-Scalp wheels all the way down so the mower rides on the ground and not as a hanger under the tractor. The salesman said that John Deere no longer will install this ZGlide on any Ztraks.
    That’s interesting. I have never experienced any dips in my grass whatsoever. If for some reason I ever replace mine, I’ll buy another set. As for John Deere no longer installing them, have him call Reynolds John Deere in Indiana.... they’ll be happy to install them.
    Gizmo2, coaltrain, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ISPTrooper For This Useful Post:

GreenFarmParts (06-28-2018), MattF (12-29-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,128 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Interesting. This made me take a look at a Ferris zero turn which has had front suspension for a long time. It made me notice how their sustem works and how it compensates to keep the deck level.

The first 30 seconds of this video shows how they do it.

Kunota has a pivoting front axle but didn’t look to see how that works.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (12-27-2017), PJR832 (06-12-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Thanks

I have an IQ of..... at least 50

My lawn is a good Mars-rover testing location and I have a keen eye on suspension systems.

I agree the ZGlide suspension, being directly connected to the same frame the mower deck is connected to, can impact deck/cut height. So could a front wheel hitting a sudden rise/fall on one side not present on the other with fixed forks - this type of event would have deck height consistency improved by the ZGlide. There is a limit to how lousy the terrain can be before cut quality is degraded regardless of the suspension system design.

The Ferris system I judged to have too many moving parts and tries to maintain the mower height relative to the suspension response. The Scag cheetah isolates only the driver deck, it too is pretty complex. Both work great, I just did't want all the extra claptrap - completely personal preference.

I see a suspension system as there for the benefit of the driver, not the mowing quality, as first priority (due to living on Mars). I have to adjust overall cut height in rougher terrain. A lot of folks care more about one or the other and that makes markets for each increasingly specialized approach. I think Deere's approach is a compromise between the two (as an 3rd party add on) and as such can be seen as not the best, not the worst, from both perspectives. From a ride standpoint, I bet its better than my hard forks w/ run-flats and at the same time, simple. I'm interested in them but would want to try them before I lay down cash.

I'm interested in feedback on anyone who actually has them/tried them (thanks ISPTrooper!) to help improve the understanding of the benefits and limitations of the ZGlide systems. JD really hasn't brought anything other than seat suspension to market for rider comfort and has addressed cut quality limitations on rougher terrain with very little. Tweels get some spotlight for improved ride/cut quality.

On the opposite end... the run-flat fronts might as well be steel casters. I'd like to get something to take the edge off them w/o reducing my all ready limited cut quality. I will have to follow up with my dealer to find out if they no longer support/sell ZGlides. At last check, they liked them but hadn't sold very many...kinda like tweels.

Matt
    Last edited by MattF; 12-29-2017 at 10:16 AM. Reason: screwed up wording
    Gizmo2 and PJR832 like this.
    If Knowledge is Power, Wisdom is Torque
    1989 RX75 "The Chick Magnet"
    2017 960M Ztrak
    2008 John Deere 4720
    w/
    400X FEL w/ HD bucket & 72" Ratchet Rake
    Horst 48" Pallet Forks
    Woods TSG 50 Stump grinder
    Woods 72X Brushbull
    Land Pride HR3584 Box Blade
    Land Pride LR1584 Rake
    Cat 1 Imatch QH

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-12-2018 @ 02:07 PM
    Thanks

Some dealers are in the dark

My Uncle and I both happened to by new Z930’s last week (from different dealers). My uncle bought the R series and I bought the M series. Both have the rear Tweels and full suspension seats. But I had my dealer add the Zglides to mine before taking delivery so that they would also re-level the deck as needed. My uncle’s dealer had heard of the Zglides but had never seen any. This is my uncle’s first zero turn, and he mentioned that it sure didn’t ride as nice as the 758 “super garden tractor” he traded in, but I’d warned him before hand that would be the case . I told him he should have gone ahead and got the Zglides. We got the two machines together this past weekend so he could try mine and compare the ride of them, and since I’d seen this post, I thought it would be a good chance to do a fair and unbiased side by side comparison of the two and compare the quality of cut. I can honestly say, there was no difference in quality of cut and no issues with my deck dipping down or springing up due to the flexing of the Zglides. We tried several situations too, like there was parts of his yard where I mowed part with his mower, and then I completed it with my mower, and there was a time we were “tag teaming” it with us mowing in a side by side pattern with him following about 30 feet behind me so that we were getting two swaths per round (like we were playing follow the leader but with him in the outside lane). We mowed in “back-n-forth” patterns at times as well as counter clockwise laps at other times. When we were done with his 4 acres, you could not tell that it was mowed by two machines. The quality of cut was the same. But he did agree that my mower road smoother than his. My previous mower (my first zero turn which I still have) was a residential Hustler Rapture SD. Not long after buying it, I added Hustler’s “Flex forks”, which are the same torsion axle mechanism as the Zglides. It made so much difference in the ride quality that I knew that any future mowers I bought would have to have an option for adding a front fork suspension before I’d consider them. At no time using the Hustler with flex forks did I have any issues with the cut being affected by the suspension forks. Even before I bought my Z930m, I told all my friends that had Z900 series mowers about the release of the Zglides and told them they’d thank after installing them (even though none have done so yet). The availability of the Zglides weighed in heavily on my decision to buy a Deere (but my relationship with the dealership did as well). I see that Zglide is in the process of offering them for Xmark, Skag and Kubota soon. I hope this helps. I would recommend these to anyone that was looking for a better ride.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to givitout For This Useful Post:

GreenFarmParts (06-28-2018), lindsey97 (06-24-2018), MattF (06-13-2018)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Thanks
    The Kubota front axle articulates like a farm tractor. It keeps the wheel in contact with the ground on uneven terrain.

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    I watched the video, ZG's look legit to me! IF I still had a zero I'd definitely get them!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 1010 For This Useful Post:

GreenFarmParts (06-28-2018)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Thanks

ZGlide up front…Tweels in the rear. Let me know if you see any dips in my lawn
    jgayman, johnH123 and 1010 like this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ISPTrooper For This Useful Post:

GreenFarmParts (06-28-2018)

16. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks

I was told by my Scag Dealer.......

I was told by my Scag dealer today that if I added zGlides to my new Scag Cheetah, that I may void my warranty because it is NOT OEM parts.

Does anyone know if that statement is true or not?

Thanks!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements