It's Not Good To Leave On Ignition Key On.
Like Tree27Likes
  • 7 Post By kbeaag
  • 5 Post By Old Cajun
  • 4 Post By Herminator
  • 3 Post By Ortimber
  • 5 Post By kbeaag
  • 1 Post By trboxman
  • 2 Post By kbeaag

Thread: It's Not Good To Leave On Ignition Key On.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks

It's Not Good To Leave On Ignition Key On.

Three or four weeks ago I posted that I had left my ignition switch in the "on" position on my Z710A. One or two replied that they had done the same. Well!. that is not good, and here's why.

When I found that I had left the key on, I started the engine and "white/Blue" smoke bellowed out the exhaust for a minute or so. Not good. Didn't think too much of the matter at the time. I connected the Battery Tender to the battery and recharged it.
    Today, I went out to start the Z710A and "again" white/blue smoke showed it ugly head. So, I checked the oil, and there Gentlemen came the words...."Not Good" as the oil level show about two quarts over-fil on the dipstick. Results....gasoline. And would you like to know where it came from? I get the Z71-A repair manual out and here's what happens when the key it left on the "on/run position" The voltage is sent to the "engine shutoff solenoid " and it opens to allow fuel to the carburetor. And somehow the gasoline gets past the float-bowl and into the engine.

I remembered that I ran the engine about three or four minutes when the fuel in the crankcase. So, I must change the oil and filter, hoping that I didn't damaged the cylinder walls and all the rod bearing, etc.

However, should it come down to replacing the engine. I'll just snap in a new Kohler ECV730 Command Pro EFI 23 HP 747cc at a cost of about $2000.00. EFI that sounds like a Electronic Fuel Injection dude.
    Last edited by kbeaag; 01-03-2018 at 02:42 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kbeaag For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (01-04-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 990 Posts
    Kind of doubt you did any damage with running just 3 or 4 minutes, thinned out oil, but none the less oil.

Not sure the type of engine you have, but would have thought a good needle valve and seat with the float properly set
    should have prevented this even with the fuel shutoff valve engaged in the open position.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, Marlin and 2 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Kind of doubt you did any damage with running just 3 or 4 minutes, thinned out oil, but none the less oil.

Not sure the type of engine you have, but would have thought a good needle valve and seat with the float properly set
    should have prevented this even with the fuel shutoff valve engaged in the open position.
    I doubt you caused any issues. I did something similar in my HPX gator a few years ago. No issues.
    pcabe5, Marlin, Radsbee and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Thanks
    I would also agree with others that you probably didn't do any damage to the engine, although maybe your pride wasn't so lucky.
    Carvel Loafer, Marlin and Robnik like this.
    JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your advice and concerns.

I made a trip to the local John Deere dealer today. Talk to some length about what happen to my Z710A with the key left on and the full shut-off solenoid pumped gas into the crankcase. He said., "that rarely happens and if it wasn't ran at full throttle for a length of time, there probably wasn't any damage to the internals parts of the engine." He also said., "some of the Kohler CVS680 V-twins had a model carburetor (and didn't remember the carb number) that had problems with the needle seat bore not true and there allowed gas to flow into the combustion chamber and into the crankcase even after the engine was shut down after use." He said., "if I have white smoke at each start-up...(And I do at times) I have one of those carburetors with the bad needle seat bore." He told me they replaced many of those carburetors under warrenty on the Z710A.

I mentioned to him that I was installing a fuel shut-off valve near the fuel tank and would shut the fuel off and let the engine die from starvastion. sp.
    pcabe5, Marlin, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks
    And....you're going to replace the faulty carb too right?
    H-D dealer dude likes this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trboxman View Post
    And....you're going to replace the faulty carb too right?
    I'm going to us the fuel shut-off valve for now to keep the fuel from getting into the crankcase. On this Kohler PS-CV680-3043 engine, it shows they installed four different Nikki carburetor models. It is also very difficult to find the carburetor number without tearing apart the intake assembly. I've also installed a "red indicator light" near the ignition switch to make sure I don't leave the key on again.
    There's no problem with the engine performance during mowing... it runs very smooth, so, the float/needle seat doesn't do any damage.

BTW: A new Nikki carburetor is roughly $170.00 to $250.00
    Last edited by kbeaag; 01-15-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    Radsbee and Herminator like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    You should be OK.

Plenty of GM automotive engines suffered similar oil dilution when the purge control valves failed. The symptoms were similar. Smoke on start-up, bad gasoline mileage and an odor due to unburned fuel being cooked-off in the catalytic converter.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower