Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1550 Terrain Cut with 60 inch Snow Blower - Weight / Traction

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks

1550 Terrain Cut with 60 inch Snow Blower - Weight / Traction

Hi,

I have recently added a 60 inch snow blower to the front of my 2wd 1550 Terrain cut machine. I currently have the chains on the front two drive tires and also two suitcase weights on the back. What I am noticing is that when I put the blower down it seems to slightly lift my front tires up reducing my traction. Is there something I can do to correct this? Wheel weights? I am assuming more rear weight will not help? When I have the blower lifted, I am not having any issue with stirring or lack of traction.

I am also trying to put it in the float mode when dropping the blower to see if that prevents the front wheels from lifting, however I am not sure I am doing it correctly as the wheels still lift.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EricBurton View Post
    Hi,

I have recently added a 60 inch snow blower to the front of my 2wd 1550 Terrain cut machine. I currently have the chains on the front two drive tires and also two suitcase weights on the back. What I am noticing is that when I put the blower down it seems to slightly lift my front tires up reducing my traction. Is there something I can do to correct this? Wheel weights? I am assuming more rear weight will not help? When I have the blower lifted, I am not having any issue with stirring or lack of traction.

I am also trying to put it in the float mode when dropping the blower to see if that prevents the front wheels from lifting, however I am not sure I am doing it correctly as the wheels still lift.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Eric
    I would never use down pressure on a tractor mounted snowblower. The weight of the blower should be sufficient to get to the ground unless you are going too fast or the snow is hard packed from vehicles. Down pressure will increase the load on the drive wheels and reduce your steering capability not to mention wear your cutter out quickly.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes I don't believe I am using down pressure. As indicated in the JD manual, I push the control slightly forward until it catches and I release it and the plow continues to drop to the ground. The blower is too heavy to lift myself when in the float mode to confirm it comes up.

Eric

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks
    Yes I don't believe I am using down pressure. As indicated in the JD manual, I push the control slightly forward until it catches and I release it and the plow continues to drop to the ground. The blower is too heavy to lift myself when in the float mode to confirm it comes up.

Eric
    Weight on the drive wheels would help if you are having difficulty pushing that big blower around. You need the machine weight and power to counter the weight of the blower in addition to snow depth and conditions.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Thanks
    Hi,

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Eric
    When you push the lever forward to lower,once it contacts the ground if you continue moving the lever forward it will sort of click that is float mode.You should be in float mode when mowing also.
    Levi likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks

Eric
    This is one of those backwards lawn mowers.

Definitely make sure you are using the float when working. I assume that that mower is capable of down pressure. Never messed with one. Otherwise gravity is just pulling your mower/blower down. If you have DP you should be able to lift your drive wheels off the ground.

Your drive wheels will slightly unload even in float mode. This is because the tractor is not supporting the blower's weight. It's sitting on the ground. Could this be what you are seeing?
    Adding weights to the drive wheels should help the traction.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    That is a very good point. Perhaps when I am placing the blower on the ground it is returning the front tires back to the normal position without the load of the blower when it is raised.

Does anyone have a 1500 series machine that can confirm exactly how I get it into float mode? I am starting to wonder if it even has down pressure because when I release the handle from the most forward position it seems to return back to the slightly forward float position (or what I think is float) appose to neutral.

My manual instructs:

To raise attachment: Pull lever rearward. Attachment will rise up until level is released, or attachment reaches top of travel, whichever occurs first.

To lower attachment: Push the lever forward. Attachment will lower until lever is released, or attachment reaches the ground, whichever occurs first.

To float attachment: Push the lever forward until it latches into the float position. Attachment will rise and lower as needed to follow contour of ground.

Thanks!

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    That is a very good point. Perhaps when I am placing the blower on the ground it is returning the front tires back to the normal position without the load of the blower when it is raised.

Does anyone have a 1500 series machine that can confirm exactly how I get it into float mode? I am starting to wonder if it even has down pressure because when I release the handle from the most forward position it seems to return back to the slightly forward float position (or what I think is float) appose to neutral.

My manual instructs:

To raise attachment: Pull lever rearward. Attachment will rise up until level is released, or attachment reaches top of travel, whichever occurs first.

To lower attachment: Push the lever forward. Attachment will lower until lever is released, or attachment reaches the ground, whichever occurs first.

To float attachment: Push the lever forward until it latches into the float position. Attachment will rise and lower as needed to follow contour of ground.

Thanks!
    The lever will click into float mode. The lever will stay in that position. All the way forward. There is no down pressure.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    PJR832 likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks

My manual instructs:

Thanks!
    If I was using your machine for snow removal. I'd get wheel weights all the way around if you can.
    This should help traction with the bigger drive wheels.
    Weights on the small wheels will help with steering. Especially when the blower is in the up position.
    You might also be able to mount some more suitcase weights on the back. This should also help.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I have contacted the local dealer to get some information on wheel weights. They are suppose to get back to me as they were having trouble finding the right ones.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on wheel weights:

-BM17972 (50 lb plate)
    -BM17973 (72 lb starter weight)
    -BM17976 (50 lb plastic cover)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast