• 1 Post By Z5D1
  • 1 Post By mtrmn

Thread: Z525E running uneven

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks

Z525E running uneven

I've got a Z525E I bought new a year ago. I have been doing a lot of leaf mulching. The air filter got dirty quickly so I replaced it a couple of times. Now it revs up and down and will not slow idle. If I use a little choke the up and down revving stops but runs rough. Are there a couple easy things I can try before taking it to the dealer?
    Gizmo2 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,993 Times in 2,950 Posts
    Try some Sea Foam...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sea Foam.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	529146
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks
    If the filter system on this model is doing it's job, you shouldn't be getting any dust or such particles into the carburetor. I would look closely where the throttle cable connects to the carburetor assembly for left dust that may have clog up around it there causing the mechanism not to work fully.
    If you have a air compressor or a leaf blower, use it to blow out the leaf particles.

Mulching leaves shouldn't cause any failures in the way the carburetor works.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    It's not so much the leaves clogging the filter etc. The leaves are on top of dry sandy soil. With the chute blocked clouds of dust/sand blow up around the deck. I have lots of large mature oaks with little grass that grows under them to cover the dirt.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    We see surging quite often. A lil choke will clear it up which is an indicator that you have a jet or passage clogged. Only fix is a carb tear down and blowing out. Or worse a carb replacement. Also in some instances a leaking intake gasket will cause this also.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xcopterdoc; 01-16-2018 at 09:05 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks
    My self, I wouldn't be so hurriedly to take the tractor to a JD dealer at this stage.

Was there any indications the tractor wasn't running as spec's before you started mulching the leaves? Would it appear the engine is running on one cylinder...not both? With the use of the choke in the process you get it to idle down, indicates there is something wrong with the carburation/gas flow//filter system. Can you make adjustments to the "rich/lean mixture" screw on the carb? Some of these engines have a rich/lean screw where you can make a turn or two either way on the carb. Usually it is a small black plastic one.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Fixed

I ended up taking it to the dealer. The valves needed adjusting. Under warrany so no expense to me. The owners manual recommends this at 200 hours so I'm surprised it needed it at 75 hours. It runs well so I'm happy.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Z5D1 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (04-20-2018)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Z5D1 View Post
    It's not so much the leaves clogging the filter etc. The leaves are on top of dry sandy soil. With the chute blocked clouds of dust/sand blow up around the deck. I have lots of large mature oaks with little grass that grows under them to cover the dirt.
    If you are using the high-lift blades like came on my Z920M, then swap them out with some lower-lift blades that don't have so much up-turn on the non-cutting edge. This will make it much more user-friendly in the dust department.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements