Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 915B intermittently won't turn over

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks

915B intermittently won't turn over

I have a 3 year old 915B that every now and then won't turn over. The hour meter comes on, but other than that, it's like the battery cable is disconnected because the machine is as dead as can be. After the usual ritual of fiddling around with the PTO switch, popping the seat up and looking at the battery, putting the seat back down, looking skywards to see if rain is on the way, getting a fresh beer... and trying a few more times, it will start. But, I know that my luck is going to run out one of these days.

It seems like some kind of electrical issue, as if one of the safety switches might be malfunctioning. Is there a history of specific electrical problems or a trouble shooting procedure that I can focus my troubleshooting efforts on? Is there an easy way to bypass* the safety switches for testing purposes?I don't want to send it to the dealer unless the problem is chronic and they can observe it. On the other hand, I don't want a failure that results in 2-3 weeks of down time while I wait for the dealer to get to it.

I forgot to mention - engaging the PTO will cause something toward the back of the machine to click.

*I'm not one to permanently bypass safety switches, but short of replacing the switches, I don't know of any other way to troubleshoot them.
    Last edited by KeyboardJungle; 05-07-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,268 Posts
    Looking at the battery won’t help much. First thing to do is remove the battery terminals, clean them (cable ends and terminals themselves), and reinstall. 9 times out of 10 this solves issues like what you are seeing.

If that doesn’t help then it would be time for further diagnosis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A920442F-A80F-41EB-8F8B-EBE67A29755D.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	607362
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (05-07-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Looking at the battery won’t help much. First thing to do is remove the battery terminals, clean them (cable ends and terminals themselves), and reinstall. 9 times out of 10 this solves issues like what you are seeing.

If that doesn’t help then it would be time for further diagnosis.
    Thanks, yes - I have done that, and even gone so far as to replace the battery. Terminals are clean as new.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Replace your PTO switch. It’s a common issue and considered a “wear item.” To get you by, you can wiggle and cycle the switch until it starts.

I bought an aftermarket one with more robust contacts.
    Gizmo2 and KeyboardJungle like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    I had the same issue with my Z950R last summer. It would do it every now and then, not all the time. I am still under warranty so I just took it in. I think they had it for a little over two weeks before I got it back. They ended up replacing the PTO switch and the PTO Clutch. If on your dime, I would start with the PTO switch which is what they did at first. Worst case it doesn't fix the issue and you now have a spare for when it is the problem.

I think it took a while to get back because it was an intermittent issue.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Replace your PTO switch. It’s a common issue and considered a “wear item.” To get you by, you can wiggle and cycle the switch until it starts.

I bought an aftermarket one with more robust contacts.
    Thanks - I'll get a switch this week. Can you recommend a source for a good quality aftermarket switch? eBay is always a good source, but I don't know how I would determine if it is better than the oem.
    Dave

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Of course other safeties could be the parking brake sensor or I think the control arms need to be in the park position when starting. I always have mine out in the park position anyhow. I wan to say that the seat switch doesn't impact starting. So probably not that. It will just kill things if the parking brake is released. I was going to say look for an error code but I think from helping someone else with a 915B that this model doesn't have the diagnostic codes in the hour meter. On mine it flashes a orange light with a code that you count the flashes and decrypt it into a fault using a chart mounted along side the seat and the right fender.

The odd thing about the PTO switch and starting is I can start my ZTrak with the PTO switch in the run position. In fact 98% of the time I end up doing this because the R models have a PTO kill button on the right control stick which is how I normally turn it off when done mowing since it is easier to reach. The kill button is wired into the safety interlock circuit so pressing it in trips the relay and shuts down the PTO. I have to manually switch the PTO switch off and back on to kick it in again. If I start it with the PTO switch in the on position, the diag light with flash the code for the PTO switch being on when started. It clears as soon as I turn off the PTO Switch.

I think in my case they replaced the PTO switch with a revised one which is supposed to fail less often. When they were testing they also tested the PTO circuit and saw something out of spec with the PTO clutch which is why they replaced that. I would imagine if it is pulling too much of a load it will damage the PTO switch. I haven't bought the service manual yet because I have another year of warranty left. I will get it eventually but until then I don't have the test procedure.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    ...I think in my case they replaced the PTO switch with a revised one which is supposed to fail less often....
    THanks, yes - there is a new part number. I'll probably just pick up the more recent ones from the local dealer and give it a go. There are lots of non-JD switches available, but I have no idea which ones are better and which ones are inferior to the JD switch.
    Dave

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardJungle View Post
    THanks, yes - there is a new part number. I'll probably just pick up the more recent ones from the local dealer and give it a go. There are lots of non-JD switches available, but I have no idea which ones are better and which ones are inferior to the JD switch.
    Yeah, I don't know about the aftermarket ones either. Mine is the plunger style. I think in 2016 model year or 2017 they went to a rocker style. I don't know if they are compatible electrically. The opening on the panel is rectangular so it looks like that style would fit and I think they are designed better. They had already replaced mine with a new plunger style with the updated part. No word on what they changed.

Another thing if you are ordering stuff. They are all keyed the same and I don't know what you have for a key but the earlier ones had a key that had a boot on it. Mine came with normal non booted JD keys. I went on Amazon or one of the online JD Parts stores and bought a booted key. Because the key hole is facing up like that, it keeps the ignition switch a little cleaner with the boot style key.

JD X585, 54C deck,

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

17. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    ... Because the key hole is facing up like that, it keeps the ignition switch a little cleaner with the boot style key...
    Yes, I have the booted one. We keep the machine inside, but it wouldn't hurt to keep the key in it.
    Dave

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast