Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Picking my first zero turn

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks

Picking my first zero turn

So I have a 1026r with 54" mmm. I'm tired of taking it on and off, along with loader, etc. I'm tired of bouncing around like crazy. I'm tired of half the mower knobs and setup and alignments etc being hard to turn, setup etc. I know adjustments can be made here and there but it's just... Yeah.

So I'm taking myself into getting a zero turn for mowing and leave my mini tractor for tractoring.

I first came here to check out the John Deere zero turns of course, but in my research realized they don't really have any kind of fancy suspension either, which is half my issue.

I saw the popular dieselshadow went from a JD to a Ferris, and saw it had an actual suspension. I've talked to a local dealer and he's putting together a IS600Z to let me bring home and try on my property, and assures me I will be writing a check after that. He's quoting me $5800 before tax right now.

Can anyone give me insight into my choice here? An alternative JD that would be just as good for same or less money? I have 3 acres of yard.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    JD 1026r

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 07:22 AM
    Thanks
    I dont have any experience with Ferris but I know alot of people with Bad Boy mowers that are all very happy, as well as some one thats been a long time dealer. Ive borrowed one a few times and it worked great.

This is probably the closest comparable model to that and I know of 3 people that have that model and all mow 3-4 acres and love the mower.

https://www.badboymowers.com/bad-boy...ick-lawn-mower

-Jordan-

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 2,264 Posts
    My first comment - the dealer is a very important factor when buying equipment. This guy bringing you one to try on your property is a huge plus. My once-upon-a-time Deere dealer did that for me all the time.

As far as I know Ferris is the only one with true suspension. I wish I could try one out. From the reviews Iíve heard along with Jasonís I think you will be wanting to keep it.
    dieselshadow, rtgt, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    My first comment - the dealer is a very important factor when buying equipment. This guy bringing you one to try on your property is a huge plus. My once-upon-a-time Deere dealer did that for me all the time.

As far as I know Ferris is the only one with true suspension. I wish I could try one out. From the reviews Iíve heard along with Jasonís I think you will be wanting to keep it.
    Gravely does now too, but they are higher end models, priced accordingly...well, high. Exmark has a suspension platform thats pretty cool.
    rtgt likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    I cant comment too much on brand other than to say that if you can afford a commercial model, do it.
    Ive got an Exmark Lazer Z HP 52", with suspension seat, and its plenty "suspendy" for me.
    To me, if its too rough for a suspension seat, its time to get a heavier roller out.

Were I to get a new one today, and assuming I could afford to, Id go with Deere simply because they have the Mulch On Demand decks, and well, Im partial to Green, lol. Thats a awesome feature if you have landscaping beds. I have a flap on the side of deck where I can block it off easily, but then it blows grass out everywhere around the deck, and if I leave it too long, I get big clumps when I open it.
    rtgt and johncanfield like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    I cant comment too much on brand other than to say that if you can afford a commercial model, do it.
    Ive got an Exmark Lazer Z HP 52", with suspension seat, and its plenty "suspendy" for me.
    To me, if its too rough for a suspension seat, its time to get a heavier roller out.
    I have a 20 year-old Gravely Promaster 100 commercial ZTR (bought new) and I will second the recommendation about buying a commercial model. In 20 years I've had to replace one hydraulic hose to a wheel motor and I rebuilt the deck a couple of years ago (about $400 for new sealed spindle bearings and other go-round parts.) I just got off the mower after two hours of mowing and my butt is really sore due to the seat. I was just looking at air ride seats, for about $800 I can probably make one work for my Gravely. This would be a bunch cheaper instead of shelling out $10k for a new ZTR with an air ride seat.

My 4720 Deere cab tractor with the air ride seat has me thoroughly spoiled
    rtgt and PJR832 like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    I haven't tried the John Deere suspension seat but that is700z they quoted is a sweet machine. I love mine. Tax free and free delivery if you get it from Bruno Powersports in Cabot, Arkansas. I bought mine from Tyler.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    rtgt, johncanfield and PJR832 like this.

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
    So I have a 1026r with 54" mmm. I'm tired of taking it on and off, along with loader, etc. I'm tired of bouncing around like crazy. I'm tired of half the mower knobs and setup and alignments etc being hard to turn, setup etc. I know adjustments can be made here and there but it's just... Yeah.

So I'm taking myself into getting a zero turn for mowing and leave my mini tractor for tractoring.

I first came here to check out the John Deere zero turns of course, but in my research realized they don't really have any kind of fancy suspension either, which is half my issue.

I saw the popular dieselshadow went from a JD to a Ferris, and saw it had an actual suspension. I've talked to a local dealer and he's putting together a IS600Z to let me bring home and try on my property, and assures me I will be writing a check after that. He's quoting me $5800 before tax right now.

Can anyone give me insight into my choice here? An alternative JD that would be just as good for same or less money? I have 3 acres of yard.
    Been there.
    Go commercial if you can swing it.
    Suspension is nice when/if you need it but it's not worth much if you don't.
    Example, it would be nice to have suspension for mowing our horse pasture but completely unnecessary for our lawn.
    johncanfield and PJR832 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
    I have a 20 year-old Gravely Promaster 100 commercial ZTR (bought new) and I will second the recommendation about buying a commercial model. In 20 years I've had to replace one hydraulic hose to a wheel motor and I rebuilt the deck a couple of years ago (about $400 for new sealed spindle bearings and other go-round parts.) I just got off the mower after two hours of mowing and my butt is really sore due to the seat. I was just looking at air ride seats, for about $800 I can probably make one work for my Gravely. This would be a bunch cheaper instead of shelling out $10k for a new ZTR with an air ride seat.

My 4720 Deere cab tractor with the air ride seat has me thoroughly spoiled
    It isn't an air seat but this seat (at least the suspension part) is the exact same seat that is the upgrade full suspension seat that is a factory option on the Z9xxM/R.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...8424_200268424

When I bought my Z950R it had the mid grade seat. It wasn't a suspension seat. The dealer really wanted to move it because it was last years model. I was debating on living with a non-yellow seat but this one being $350 (normal price) vs a little over $1000 in parts for the JD one had me leaning that route. In the end I got the dealer to swap out the seat for a full suspension seat and got them to discount it for being last years model. It pays to buy a lawn mower in January when you live in Minnesota. I am also glad I went commercial.
    jdmich, johncanfield and PJR832 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post

A couple tips for a zero turn. This is not brand specific.

When you have a commercial unit it probably weighs enough to require a ROPS. One thing you really have to watch is trimming around trees. You are typically looking down and cutting close to a tree and if you catch the ROPS on a big enough tree branch it will spin the machine into the trunk of the tree. A tractor has will do this to a point as well but it has front tires that provide lateral support. A Zero turn has casters like a shopping cart. I knew about this and it still bit me once my first time around the yard. Luckily I was going slow. Also low branches love to get hooked in the ROPS even when not close to the trunk. Biggest risk here is they snap around and hit you in the back of the head. If your yard is all flat, then I would fold the ROPS and leave it down. I cut a ditch and a couple steep spots of my yard where I want it up.

As mentioned the front wheels offer no lateral support so learn to crab the machine when mowing across a hill. They have really low center of gravity so they can take a pretty steep side slope.

Be really careful mowing down hills. You are better off backing down a steep grade. You will shift too much weight off the rear tires going forward and you can loose steering and stopping ability. If it is steep enough you will go for a not fun ride. It gets really not fun if you are doing this trying to dodge trees. I have one spot with a retaining wall that is a good 3' drop if I can't make the turn. This gets way worse if there is any dew. I mow my steep sections only later in the day.

Like I said, these things apply to all ZTR in any brand. Well the ROPS stuff probably only applies to the commercial units. The small residential ones don't typically have ROPS because they are much lighter.
    johncanfield and PJR832 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast