Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Z915B hrdraulic fluid change

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Thanks

Z915B hrdraulic fluid change

Given the number of issues that get reported following hydraulic fluid changes, I am tempted to skip the first 300 hour hydraulic fluid change on the 915B. Can anybody comment on the wisdom (or lack thereof) of that plan? We put about 70-80 hours/year on the machine, and it just doesn't seem like that would put much stress on the fluid.

Has anybody had any unhappy experiences changing the fluid on a 915, or is it a fairly benign procedure?

The hydraulics on the 1025r go through much more of a workout, so I'll definitely not skip that one. Just have to decide if I should do it myself or send it off to JD in the fall. (they do a free maintenance pickup in late fall/early winter.)
    Last edited by KeyboardJungle; 05-29-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:10 PM
    Thanks
    Got any links to the issues? I haven't looked for them but I wonder what the difficulty is? Mine is a bit different than the setup that is used on the B/E/M machines though. I am probably a year or two away from being due.

The biggest difference in this case is the hydraulic deck lift and the cross porting between the drive units.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 Times in 2,998 Posts
    I have not changed mine yet but I do plan on changing it at 300 hours. I think the manual calls for every 500 hours AFTER the first 300 hours.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (05-29-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-19-2018 @ 08:56 PM
    Thanks
    here the step by step link on how to service the Transmission Oil and Filters

OMUC10539

8. The Following User Says Thank You to young For This Useful Post:

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardJungle View Post
    Given the number of issues that get reported following hydraulic fluid changes, I am tempted to skip the first 300 hour hydraulic fluid change on the 915B. Can anybody comment on the wisdom (or lack thereof) of that plan? We put about 70-80 hours/year on the machine, and it just doesn't seem like that would put much stress on the fluid.

Has anybody had any unhappy experiences changing the fluid on a 915, or is it a fairly benign procedure?

The hydraulics on the 1025r go through much more of a workout, so I'll definitely not skip that one. Just have to decide if I should do it myself or send it off to JD in the fall. (they do a free maintenance pickup in late fall/early winter.)

NOTE: First thing to do here as it will save you some guessing and time, plus how to measure the fluid you install in the tank/reservoir.
    Find you a wooden dowel or something that you can stick in the reservoir tank to measure where the fluid is before you start. If the reservoir is where it should be, used the stick and mark on the stick where the fluid is showing. This will be your measuring stick when you install the new fluid where it needs to be filled to.

Doing this fluid change is a "no brainer" as they say. You will need two filters and about 1-1/5 gallons of J20C hydraulic fluid. Jack up the rear or use a chain hoist of some type to prevent this 1500 lb. dude from falling on you. Get one of your wife's large dishpans or pots to drain the old fluid into. You will need a 3/8" socket wrench...the remove the drain caps on the two transmission. Which ever one you drain first will drain more fluid as you will be draining that transmission plus the reservoir. The other transmission will have less fluid. You should get new "o rings" with the filters. Waring: Don't tighten the filer caps too tight as they are plastic.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kbeaag For This Useful Post:

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Got any links to the issues? I haven't looked for them but I wonder what the difficulty is? Mine is a bit different than the setup that is used on the B/E/M machines though. I am probably a year or two away from being due.
    Poorly worded post on my part. I was referring in general to issues that pop up on the forum like 3 point won't raise, backhoe lacks power, etc, rather than issues specific to the 915B. Mostly with scuts. Sorry about that.

I'll reword my post tomorrow when I'm on a regular computer. Typing with one finger on the tablet drives me nuts.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I have not changed mine yet but I do plan on changing it at 300 hours.
    Be sure to post a report to help me decide if I should DIM or not!
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Dave

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:10 PM
    Thanks
    Poorly worded post on my part. I was referring in general to issues that pop up on the forum like 3 point won't raise, backhoe lacks power, etc, rather than issues specific to the 915B. Mostly with scuts. Sorry about that.

I'll reword my post tomorrow when I'm on a regular computer. Typing with one finger on the tablet drives me nuts.
    I see what you are saying.

I looked at the link with the process and the only difference I see is that I have an inline filter that the others don't have. Probably there to keep contamination from going between the drives.

As for how hard these are worked? That might depend on your yard. If it is pretty flat then you are not working them too hard. Do a lot of ditch or cross hill mowing where you are crabbing, then you are working them a lot harder. This was one of the benefits to the cross porting on the R version. If you are mowing a flat yard and only a couple hours every week, you might be able to extend it a bit. I imagine that 300 hrs recommendation is under the assumption this is a commercial mower running 8-12 hr days every day. Mine might see that in a month or two.

That said, I am going to change my fluid at 300 hrs. The process looks interesting. Drain the drives, change the filters and refill the tank. Then turn the wheels by hand, then run the engine in various states. Doesn't seem hard but a little tedious. I just don't want to risk it.

I have done a change on my X and it was pretty easy. As far as attachments and such having issues, most of that stuff should self bleed the air out. You just have to run them for a while.
    KeyboardJungle likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (05-30-2018)

15. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 Times in 2,998 Posts
    Be sure to post a report to help me decide if I should DIM or not!
    Will do. Not sure it will be this year, only have just over 200 hours on it.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks

I guess that I won't edit my poorly worded post - it appears that there is a time limit on editing a post, because the edit button only appears on subsequent posts, but not the first one.

I hope that my original post doesn't give anybody the impression that the hydraulic system or changing the fluid on the 915B is a problem. I am 110% satisfied with mine, and have no problems with it. I'm just a bit hesitant to do anything with the hydraulic system until I get a little more input on any collateral issues that could arise as a result of the fluid change, or what could go wrong when doing a fluid change. So far, the responses have me leaning toward a DIY rather than a dealer service.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Dave

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast