• 1 Post By sennister

Thread: Ztrak Deck Pedal

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-09-2018 @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks

Ztrak Deck Pedal

Hello all,

New to the forum here. I have had 3 JD lawn tractors over the years and have purchased my first Ztrak (960M 60in). I did not realize I had the luxury with the previous mowers where I could float the deck on the fly using a lever or pedal over roots, buried rocks, gravel paths, etc. With these types of mowers it was relatively easy to do and a life saver for the deck and components. On my new Ztrak however, it takes a bit more effort. I'm no little guy and I have a hard time raising my leg between the pedal and the steering/speed arms while in motion to depress the deck pedal. I pretty much have to stop, swing the right arm out, raise my leg to engage the pedal, then bring the arm back in to continue. It is still a sight squeeze to disengage the pedal and I pretty much have to repeat the procedure over again to set the deck back down. I have not found any adjustments yet, other than to adjust the deck tension spring, but wanted to know if anyone may have any tips or have run into this.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Yes, there is great difference between the regular lawn tractors and the Ztraks mowers. That is....the hydraulic lifts on the mower decks.
    My Z710A has the pedal for the right foot (same as your Z960M) to operate the mower deck "manual" lift and it isn't the best designed mechanism that John Deere could have done. I have a number of roots that I have to use the foot lift petal. It's difficult to do at times. I'm 84 years old, but, my legs are still good.

However, I think your model (Z960M) has a option to add the (Electric-Hydraulic Lift Assist) to your handle bars that you may check out from the dealer.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    This was one of the reasons I went with a R version. The R has a hydrostatic deck lift. There is a button on one of the control sticks and as long as you hold in on the button the deck stays up or up to 30 seconds and it will drop back down even if you are still holding it. Like everything in life, there are pros and cons to everything. The problem with the deck lift button on the R that there isn't an option to just lift it a little bit. Well you can sit there tapping the button I guess. When the button is pressed the deck will raise to the park position. Of course if you want it to stay there you have to turn the lock knob. The other issue is that it has a foot operated parking brake which is harder to release than the parking brake on the E/B/M.

Back to your issue. I don't know the M version as well. You mentioned the deck lift spring assist adjustment which is the main adjustment available. I thought it was kind of hard to use as well and it was going to be more of an issue because I run the collection system for part of the year. This adds a lot of weight to the deck.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,097 Times in 3,021 Posts
    axtell, Are the control arms set to the highest position?
    Welcome to GTT.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements