• 1 Post By sennister
  • 1 Post By GreenFarmParts

Thread: Front tweel

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks

Front tweel

Anybody running front tweel and regular rear tires? I lowered the rear pressure on the z920m and the rear feels decent. Wondering if front only tweels would help out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=userjh160;3018098]Anybody running front tweel and regular rear tires? I lowered the rear pressure on the z920m and the rear feels decent. Wondering if front only tweels would help out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[

I think they look like bicycle style wheels. At $225.00 ea.... $500.00 for the front, that would take the gleam out of the art of mowing. Might get a 5%-10% less bounce.

https://direct.michelintweel.com/c/p....1160738.0.0.0

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Thanks
    Disregard this post if you have your mind set on tweels for the front.

The Z-Glide front suspension forks run ~$400 for a set. Mathematically, a no-brainer vs. the tweels if they cost $500 and all other things are equal, but with no real world comparisons on effectiveness you'd have to go on subjective recommendations on one vs. the other.

I have front run-flats and they are one step above the Fred Flintstone model run-flat, but not by much in terms of ride comfort. I didn't even know the front tweels existed... but as I have rear tweels I can comment on their ride vs. pnuematics now that I have had some time around them/pnuematics.

Having an air pressure adjustment, a lower pressured tire rides just as nice as a tweel on a lawn but can be adjusted up/down for rider weight, terrain or the need to carry a bagger/extra load, etc... all of which you may wish to do in certain instances. It's not really relevant for the front tweels, but the rear contact "patch", where the rubber meets the road, is "fixed" and full width, under a given load, and large on the tweel. Good on wet, soft lawns and hills - if you turn correctly. Make a mistake turning and you now have a large brown reminder not to pivot. The rears have good/great traction and are unforgiving in that regard. The rear tweels also hold hills while traversing better, less downhill side-dip and no running the bead off the rim. I don't see that being relevant for front caster tweels either, obviously. They are great if you need run-flats and/or run on lots of hills w/ bumps, otherwise... meh? Personally, I could've made do with pnuematics just fine, for others tweels make good sense. I like my tweels, I just can't justify their price vs. aired tires (I didn't have to pay extra for mine). To me, the front tweels look like they fall in this category too.

My opinion, without having tried either of the ride-smoothing front-end hardware, would be to see if you can talk your dealer into demoing one or both pieces of hardware. The front tweels are also run-flats that probably don't act like steel casters, a side by side may make them some sales to the fleet guys who mow bank repo's, strange lawns or roadsides regularly and will pop (bad pun) for run flats+ride comfort. I'm eyeing the Z-glides personally, but will not buy until I test drive them.

PM ISPTrooper if you want a first-hand account of the Z-glides. He has them and at last report, liked them.

Either way - when you make a decision/try a product, post your thoughts! Ride comfort is a pretty hot topic in the Z-turn community.

Matt
    If Knowledge is Power, Wisdom is Torque
    1989 RX75 "The Chick Magnet"
    2017 960M Ztrak
    2008 John Deere 4720
    w/
    400X FEL w/ HD bucket & 72" Ratchet Rake
    Horst 48" Pallet Forks
    Woods TSG 50 Stump grinder
    Woods 72X Brushbull
    Land Pride HR3584 Box Blade
    Land Pride LR1584 Rake
    Cat 1 Imatch QH

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Thanks
    For what it is worth, the R version of the Z9xx have airless front tires. At least my Z950R has them. Not a Tweel but same effect. Might be cheaper than Tweels and you could still add those Z-Glide front wheel casters.

I kind of was thinking about getting them but I am not sure how well the Z-Glide would work with as much weight as I run up front when using the MCS.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-19-2018 @ 08:56 PM
    Thanks
    from tweels are available at green farm parts for $199.99 each. https://www.greenfarmparts.com/product-p/22628.htm

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by young View Post
    from tweels are available at green farm parts for $199.99 each. https://www.greenfarmparts.com/product-p/22628.htm
    Max capacity is only 290#. I get that this would be per wheel but I don't think I could run them with the MCS. I carry 252# in suitcase weights on the front of my Z. That is my concern with the Z-Glide as well.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    $138.25 for the airless front wheel with bearings that is on the R models.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-..._p_247771.html

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    I think the tweel is a good option, but darn expensive.

I recently had an issue on my Exmark. The front tire was low, and I missed checking it, and while mowing it came off the wheel.
    Normally not a problem, except the previous owner and my old friend, had filled it with slime or some other flat fix goop. When the tire came off the bead, that stuff went everywhere.
    Now, if you dont get that junk off before it dries, its awful to deal with.

I initially figured Id just get the flat free airless type tires. When they showed up, the hubs were too wide. I probably could have forced it to work, but I dont like doing that kind of thing.
    I ended up cleaning up the wheel, repainting it, and cleaning up the tire and tubing it. Id prefer to not have to worry about flats, but its not a huge concern for me as long as I dont venture off into the woods on the Exmark.

Anyway, my point to all of that is that while at the dealer getting seals for the wheel, we were discussing the front wheel options on zero turns. The tweel is the best riding of the bunch, VERY close to a standard pneumatic tire. What I had, and what lots of guys run, the Carlisle flat free tires, ride pretty rough. No, they arent solid, but if you look at a cross section, youll see that they basically have a VERY thick outer layer all around an open core.
    To me, this is similar to the 10 ply truck tires on a 1/2 ton truck. Log wagon ride.
    Ill stick to standard tires on my zero turn from now on. They are cheap, and honestly, Ive not had issues with them as long as I check the tire pressure.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    06-19-2018 @ 08:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Max capacity is only 290#. I get that this would be per wheel but I don't think I could run them with the MCS. I carry 252# in suitcase weights on the front of my Z. That is my concern with the Z-Glide as well.
    Deere states "Not recommended for use with Material Collection Systems."

if you dont have any issues with getting flats, id recommend getting front pneumatic tire/rim for better ride as IndianaJim stated.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    We are seeing a ton of success out of the front Tweels and have several customers that are using them with the ZGlide suspension as well. We are currently running a 10% off special for the GTT community at greenfarmparts.com and that does include FREE shipping. We also have them for the Z997 as well.

Coupon code GTTTWEEL good through July 31st

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ml#post3039316
    userjh160 likes this.
    Green Farm Parts
    John Deere Parts, Accessories & Lifestyle Products
    Call us toll free at (877) 620-6070
    Email us: [email protected]

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenFarmParts For This Useful Post:

userjh160 (06-28-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements