F911 PTO clutch not staying on when engaged

Thread: F911 PTO clutch not staying on when engaged

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 04:15 PM
    Thanks

F911 PTO clutch not staying on when engaged

Good morning all,
    I have another post that briefly mentions this but is intertwined with other starting details which are now fixed. So, the current problem is that when I engage the PTO with the factory switch (newly installed) the PTO attempts to engage, but then immediately shuts off. I had this last same issue a couple of years ago, replaced the original switch and it seemed to fix the problem. Thats why a again replaced the switch again this year, but the problem still exists. I do not think it is the switch, because it briefly engages the clutch and then shuts off. I know its not a clutch problem, because I disconnected the clutch at the connection behind the motor and am currently using it with a regular 12V switch that bypasses everything factory. I don't like this setup because its not factory and engages easily when bumped. I am thinking it is a wiring issue of some sort hidden in the loom somewhere, but am electrically challenged beyond the obvious corrosion, broken wire etc. What / how can I check further?? Seat switch is connected and working.....

Thanks is advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    There are a couple of safety switches that could cause this. The easiest to check is the seat switch. If you haven't already, flip the seat and find the wires coming out of the bottom. Unplug the harness and jumper the wires(tractor side) and then see if that solves your problem. This switch is designed to shut of the PTO if the operator gets off the seat. The 2nd is a brake switch that kills the PTO if you step on the brake. Not sure where it is a F911. Sometimes they are setup so they won't engaged unless you really jam on the brake. Could be its sticking on making the unit think you are applying the brake.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, I am 99% sure the seat switch is good but will check the parking brake switch and fool with that a bit.......enjoy the Holiday!!

Cordel1

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cordel1 View Post
    Good morning all,
    I have another post that briefly mentions this but is intertwined with other starting details which are now fixed. So, the current problem is that when I engage the PTO with the factory switch (newly installed) the PTO attempts to engage, but then immediately shuts off. I had this last same issue a couple of years ago, replaced the original switch and it seemed to fix the problem. Thats why a again replaced the switch again this year, but the problem still exists. I do not think it is the switch, because it briefly engages the clutch and then shuts off. I know its not a clutch problem, because I disconnected the clutch at the connection behind the motor and am currently using it with a regular 12V switch that bypasses everything factory. I don't like this setup because its not factory and engages easily when bumped. I am thinking it is a wiring issue of some sort hidden in the loom somewhere, but am electrically challenged beyond the obvious corrosion, broken wire etc. What / how can I check further?? Seat switch is connected and working.....

Thanks is advance!!
    UPDATE!!
    The wiring that I installed leading to the clutch has melted right up to the face of the clutch. I am now wondering if the clutch has been the problem all along. Question... If the clutch is drawing too much power, will that cause it to briefly start and then shut off, assuming the original parts are all in place?.... When I ran my own circuit, bypassing all factory wiring (including safety features) if the clutch was drawing too much, could this have caused the wiring to melt?.... Also, where could I get a new one other than at Deere dealer??? ($600)!! Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
    Thanks again!! Enjoy the Holiday weekend

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    Did you fuse the extra line you installed to run the mower? If so what amp rating did you put in?
    A bad clutch wouldn't kick out like that, it would pop the factory fuse.

Did you check the things in my above post?

For aftermarket get the JD part number and punch it into Google and see what pops up.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

Update with new part installed

Hello again,
    I have brand new JD clutch installed and it is acting the same way it did before I bypassed the factory wiring earlier this year. Short of taking the wire loom apart, I traced wires and do not see any obvious problems. The three fuses are good that are behind the seat. When I turn on the key, press down on the seat (to simulate sitting on it) I do hear and see the electric solenoid that controls the shaft brake activate( directly behind / below the battery). If the newly installed clutch does "click" on, it is just for a split second and then it shuts right back off. I tried this with the motor running and not running, it does the same thing. Is there a circuit breaker of some sort that times out, causing it to work some of the time??

Also, which position is the parking brake lever on the steering column suppose to be in?? Hooked up or allowed to be lower in the slot? I removed the steering column panel and the switch does click when I move it, but I don't know which position it needs to be in. It has been in the upper position all summer because earlier when I would start the motor and try to travel, the motor would stall if it was in the lower position.....

Again, thanks!!

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

3 zip ties later.....problem solved!

So, being frustrated, I turned to Google again and found an old post on a different forum. The gentleman described almost exactly what I did earlier in my original post.

Like I said earlier, every time that I would engage the PTO switch, the PTO driveshaft would disengage the brake. This piece worked without fail. What I did not realize and did not see from where I was working is that this solenoid is actually doing TWO things. It releases the brake band around the PTO driveshaft AND pushes another safety switch at the same time!! What was happening is the bracket that the solenoid is mounted with and there fore affects the safety switch, is connected to the frame with a pins and not bolts. This allows, over time, the pind and holed to wear, affecting the throw of the switch.

If I would turn on the key, engage the PTO, I could see the solenoid move. If I would manually move the mount probably less that an 1/8 of an inch, the clutch would engage!!!!

I normally am not a "zip tie, duct tape" type of mechanic, but this was the best and easiest way to get this thing mowing again. I will do better repairs in the down season, but for now the zip ties pulled the play out of the solenoid and now it works every time. I mowed for an hour after this "repair" and everything worked fine.

Hopefully this helps someone in JD world!!!

Enjoy your Fall!!

Cordel 1

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements