• 1 Post By kbeaag
  • 2 Post By arlen

Thread: need help with 997 adjustments

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-24-2019 @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks

need help with 997 adjustments

I recently picked up a used 997 for my first ZTR. I was having a lot of problems with motion creep, left side going forward and right side in reverse. I fixed this following the user manual. The manual also states that the control levers should return to neutral when released. If I pull back and release they do slowly move forward slightly but not to neutral, pushing forward they will stay where you let go. I do not see any adjustment procedure for this. Is it an adjustment problem, hydraulic problem, bad dampers or ???

thanks.
    Old Cajun likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roberth58 View Post
    I recently picked up a used 997 for my first ZTR. I was having a lot of problems with motion creep, left side going forward and right side in reverse. I fixed this following the user manual. The manual also states that the control levers should return to neutral when released. If I pull back and release they do slowly move forward slightly but not to neutral, pushing forward they will stay where you let go. I do not see any adjustment procedure for this. Is it an adjustment problem, hydraulic problem, bad dampers or ???

thanks.
    Wonder if you might need to spray a little Fluid Film on all the linkages involved?
    Noticed on mine when I first got it the sticks were real tight going from drive position (inward) to neutral position (outward).
    Salesman said this was normal for a new machine and they would eventually loosen up, they didn't.

Sprayed a little Fluid Film and they are now free as can be.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    It may be the "Control Dampers" need replacing. They look like small shock absorbers on each side. If one is weak, you must replace both at same time.
    Old Cajun likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    It may be the "Control Dampers" need replacing. They look like small shock absorbers on each side. If one is weak, you must replace both at same time.
    Anyway to narrow the problem down to the dampers before I order 2 new ones?

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks

thanks.
    As far as the levers returning back to neutral on their own is not right. They may slightly move to slow but not completely. If yours do move back sllightly they they are OK. The dampners, if the sticks/transmission is real touchy, to where you find it hard to ease the machine forward then they are shot. If you can control the machine from a stop forward/reverse smoothly then they are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Wonder if you might need to spray a little Fluid Film on all the linkages involved?
    Noticed on mine when I first got it the sticks were real tight going from drive position (inward) to neutral position (outward).
    Salesman said this was normal for a new machine and they would eventually loosen up, they didn't.

Sprayed a little Fluid Film and they are now free as can be.
    The inward/outward tension is set by the bolt with nylon nut on the slot where the stick moves. Just loosen or tighten a little bit to make them looser/tighter. It opens or closes the slot to create resistance of the lever.
    arlen and Old Cajun like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NEWT For This Useful Post:

arlen (07-24-2018)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Anyway to narrow the problem down to the dampers before I order 2 new ones?
    Raise the seat and lock it so it won't fall on you. Move one side motion control lever in are out and see how long it takes for the lever to return to the center. When I test mine on the Ztrak, I remove the nut on the top bolt and detach it from the control lever and try to pull and push the damper to see if there is any resistance.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    As part of adjusting the motion linkages user manual states:

11. Move the right motion control lever completely rearward in the slot and
    release lever. The lever should return back to the neutral position
    (completely centered in the slot).

It also states that for an emergency stop, release both handles. Don't see how this would do much if they don't return to neutral. The user manual gives no advice on what do do if the handles do not return, anybody have a 997 service manual that can check it for me. I'll unhook the dampers, check them and go from there.

thanks

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    roberth58, you are correct that the owner's manual states that when you release the motion levers, the levers return to the natural position very quickly...stop. However, there is a "adjustment" on the machine in case the tractor "creeps" forward or reverse. You have to jack up the rear to ....wheels off the ground and make that adjustment. I would put a good guess the dampers are bad,
    Old Cajun likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    Like Newt said.

I bought a 997 new in 2013. It currently has 250 hours on it, and what you describe is normal.
    The levers will slowly return to normal from reverse, but not from forward.
    I'm glad they don't...I think it would be fatiguing to fight a spring the whole time you are mowing.
    NEWT and Old Cajun like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to arlen For This Useful Post:

NEWT (07-24-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements