• 1 Post By clayh
  • 1 Post By 4x4farmer

Thread: Wheel Weights - 1550 Commercial - 62 Front Mower

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-15-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks

Wheel Weights - 1550 Commercial - 62 Front Mower

I am finding that I am losing traction on side hills that are slightly up hill. I have 50 lb wheel weights that I use in the winter for the snowblower attachment. Can anyone advise if adding them would help the problem? I took them off not wanting to leave track marks in the turf when the ground is soft during rainy periods. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EricBurton View Post
    I am finding that I am losing traction on side hills that are slightly up hill. I have 50 lb wheel weights that I use in the winter for the snowblower attachment. Can anyone advise if adding them would help the problem? I took them off not wanting to leave track marks in the turf when the ground is soft during rainy periods. Thanks
    I cant say they will with 100% certainty, but I can say that my 318, the 312 before it, and the 110 before that, all had traction issues on side hills without wheel weights. Once the weights went on, no more problems. This was my Grandfathers house, and I mowed it since about 1987 until 2006.
    It had its share of soft areas after rain, but never left much of any tracks unless it was really wet.
    I mowed across and down, about a 45 degree angle to the hill, on the steepest of them. I could go across the face, but it got hairy. With the weights, there was enough traction to drive up the hill in forward, or back up the hill too most times. The weights stayed on year round.
    Id bet real money it will help. How much is the question.
    But you have them already, so the only investment is your time!
    PJR832 likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Any wheel weight is better than no wheel weight but I'm thinking you may need a bit more than 50 lbs.

For those not familiar, this is a 1550.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1550.jpg  
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you. I will put them on and see if that helps. I drove my neighbors JD zero turn the other day and cut the hills effortlessly which got me disappointed in my machines performance. It wasn’t even a commercial model.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Something else I just remembered.
    Im not sure what tire brand/type/size you are running, looks like its either 23x8.50x12 or 23x10.50x12. In any case, a few years back Carlisle introduced the Turf Smart tire that was supposed to help with the "crab walking" on side hills, and overall traction on hills, yet not damage turf.
    Anyway, if the weights dont help much, a different tire might.
    Those were originally made for zero turns, since they have the most problems on hills due to traction.

Its funny the stuff we remember. I remember reading about them when I got new tires for my Exmark. I got a great deal on a set of Turf Masters, so I went that route, though I dont have much in the way of hills around my place. Id forgotten until today. There was something I was trying to remember when I posted about the weights, but couldnt quite figure it out until just a few minutes ago.

http://www.ctptransportationproducts...available-now/
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 08-22-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I added the 50 lbs weights and it is night and day. Cut the hills without any slipping. Perhaps because the drive wheels are at the front and the majority of the weight is at the back where the engine is, the weights at the front really improved the performance.

I have Multi Trac Carlisle tires on the front. On the back (steer wheels) I have a really worn (on the outside edge) Turf Trac and on the other back side an average condition Turf Saver. I ordered 2 new Multi Trac for the back to match the tread on the front. The machine seems to take a lot of focus to steer in a straight line and I am wondering if it is because of the really worn back tire and the difference treads on the back.

The manual also talks about toe in adjustments but it seems difficult to adjust.
    jgayman, BigJim55 and johnH123 like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EricBurton For This Useful Post:

jgayman (08-23-2018)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    With my old F932 front deck mower I would lift up on the deck silghtly to put more weight on the wheels and that made a big difference. I could lift just a bit to transfer weight but not lift the deck of the ground. Some units had a weight transfer control knob to keep some weight on the unit.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 09:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clayh View Post
    With my old F932 front deck mower I would lift up on the deck silghtly to put more weight on the wheels and that made a big difference. I could lift just a bit to transfer weight but not lift the deck of the ground. Some units had a weight transfer control knob to keep some weight on the unit.
    I had a F935 with the weight transfer. It did help. I'll have to see if I can find some pictures later but I went all out. I put Carlisle tires on and then dualed it up. That thing was unstoppable!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements