• 2 Post By KeyboardJungle
  • 2 Post By kbeaag

Thread: 920m zero turn leaking transmission

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-10-2018 @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks

920m zero turn leaking transmission

Hi, I have a 920m with 200 hours. The left side trans has started to leak. It seems to be coming from around the top. Someone said it’s some kind of a cracked plug and I’ve heard this is common on these trans. I can attest to that as the right side did the same and was repaired by the dealer under warranty last year. Now it’s out of warranty and of course the left side now leaks. Has anyone tackled this kind of job themselves? The dealer wants over 800 to do it even though it is a part that is obviously set up to fail. I would appreciate any guidance on how to do this job. Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,993 Times in 2,950 Posts
    Our Z915B had a similar (probably the same) issue.
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...-oil-leak.html

I never posted what the fix was but I do believe the fix was to replace #21 with a new one or newer style. Dealer did both sides on our Z915B.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0003248367____________A1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	655782
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks
    We all know John Deere loves to charge "high dollars" when it comes to repairs. Of course, this is Tuff Torg problems who makes the transmission for these commercial mowers. In your case it's a Tuff Torg Model TZT-13 series Hydrostatic Transaxle that you have in the JD 920M. TZT-13 stands for 13cc.

Obtain a friend to help you here and remove it and makes the repairs. If it's not the trans. part #21 in the photo above, it is the seal under the fan shaft. Remember, "what man put together, man can take apart." You have that oil reservoir that holds the fluid in the center of the tractor. It has two hoses..one to each transmission. Drain the left side transmission, and you also will drain the reservoir, and remove the hose to that left side unit. You have to jack up the tractor and with a friend, remove the unit from the tractor. Surely, you will find where the leak is and go to the JD dealer and order that part. Take your time and not rush the repair. You have all winter to make the repair.
    Last edited by kbeaag; 11-07-2018 at 09:07 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Generally it is item 21. While there replace the fan shaft seal. Whenever I do one under warranty I do both. Deere knows its an issue and has never questioned it. I would ask for help from Deere on this one. Also 800 dollars is high. We do 3 hrs labor plus parts and fluid.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2 likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    I had the same problem with my 915b. The cap on the transmission cracked. John Deere fixed it on warranty at 200 hours, but something like this should not fail so early. I'm also in a constant battle with the PTO switch failing and causing the machine to not start. Even though the machine has less than 300 hours I'm thinking about getting rid of it and buying something more reliable.

They should be able to come up with solutions for simple known problems, but apparently they don't. there's no excuse for this kind of unreliability, especially when a "commercial grade" machine is only used once a week for residential purposes.
    Gizmo2 and lindsey97 like this.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks
    I may be wrong here, but, I don't think John Deere puts a hard, test, under stress workout on their equipment they made. There's always something, and it may be a minor part that fails on many of their high dollar machines. As you have seen, they love the 'plastic' in their assembly items. The fluid reservoir cap as you mentioned is one, as it is hard to unscrew and some owners may take vice grips to remove and there goes the crack.
    Gizmo2 and KeyboardJungle like this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements